5th Gen performance with the SO engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Matt Fikac/Moes owner, has been testing his 5th gen with the SO engine,over on High Performance Rams on facebook,and the truck is fairly quick considering it's still on the dealer supplied 87 fuel with only a couple hundred miles on it. With a few more miles,better fuel and decent air,he's thinking it'll run low 13's.If you own a 5th Gen with the SO engine,check out his post on it

Matt Fikac

Top contributor
· 1h ·

Well, time for me to get with the times. Picked up a 2025 Laramie 4WD today with the SO Hurricane I6. Not too bad for a stock truck in 2000’ DA. Truck only has 285 miles on it, and still has more than 1/2 tank of the garbage 87 octane in it from the dealership. Pretty sure this truck is going to run low-mid 13s stock in better air.

1725154757064.png

1725156449104.png

Last edited:

Six Turboed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Inline 6 Twin Turbo
I am curious how long it’ll be before someone unlocks the ECU and says with just a tune you can get 540 hp out of the trucks?:) HA!!!

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am curious how long it’ll be before someone unlocks the ECU and says with just a tune you can get 540 hp out of the trucks?:) HA!!!
So far that hasn't happened,but it probably won't be to much longer before somebody figures out how to get around the factory parameters
Matt's posts today talk about the tuning factor,if you go looking on the hi-po facebook pages.
I copied yesterdays posts,but if anybody wants more info,you're gonna have to look them up yourself.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd love to see an at the wheel dyno comparison between the 5.7 hemi and both the SO and the HO 6's with all 3 in complete bone stock fresh off the dealership lot form.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'd love to see an at the wheel dyno comparison between the 5.7 hemi and both the SO and the HO 6's with all 3 in complete bone stock fresh off the dealership lot form.
If you go with Mopars posted numbers the 5.7 wouldn't even be on the scale,lol. Even the 6.4 is lacking in comparision with it's 410 hp and 430 lb-ft compared to the SO I6.

In standard output format you get 420 horsepower and 469 lb-ft of torque. The high output version increases turbo boost pressure to produce 540 horsepower and 521 lb-ft of torque routed through an eight-speed automatic transmission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I’ve read that about the only thing the HO shares with the SO is the displacement. I’m not saying you couldn’t get 540 hp out of it, but I would be concerned with longevity lol.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I haven't heard anything about what 8 speed they're going to stick behind the high output version,it'd be nice if they did the 90 or 95 ,but i'm guessing it'll still get the 75

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I haven't heard anything about what 8 speed they're going to stick behind the high output version,it'd be nice if they did the 90 or 95 ,but i'm guessing it'll still get the 75
It’s the 8HP75 according to the ramtrucks.com site.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It’s the 8HP75 according to the ramtrucks.com site.
I figured as much,to bad they wouldn't stick the heavier duty 8 speed behind it,then they could reduce the torque management required to keep the transmission alive. If you watch this short little video,and listen to the 2-3 shift,you can see how much torque management they employ to keep the 70 alive in the 1320's ,my grandmother could double clutch a straight cut transimission faster then the car makes the 2-3 shift,lol.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you go with Mopars posted numbers the 5.7 wouldn't even be on the scale,lol. Even the 6.4 is lacking in comparision with it's 410 hp and 430 lb-ft compared to the SO I6.

In standard output format you get 420 horsepower and 469 lb-ft of torque. The high output version increases turbo boost pressure to produce 540 horsepower and 521 lb-ft of torque routed through an eight-speed automatic transmission.
I'm not saying the 5.7 would out perform the 6 cylinders. In fact I'm 100% certain it wont I just want real world at the pavement numbers for comparison. And besides, manufacturer numbers are almost always inflated

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm not saying the 5.7 would out perform the 6 cylinders. In fact I'm 100% certain it wont I just want real world at the pavement numbers for comparison. And besides, manufacturer numbers are almost always inflated
If you hunt up Fikacs testing ,the new engine is about a full second faster then the 5.7 was. Stock on 87 octane,his new truck is running mid 13's,the same configuration of truck with a 5.7 is about a mid 14 sec truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Richard Campbell

I’m a Hp dealer and I just know that the aftermarket is having issues with the new GPEC5 pcm bricking when trying to tune them so at the moment.. it’s not been figured out and this pcm has been out for a few years now .. so it doesn’t seem like it’ll be supported anytime soon

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
From what I've heard the SO and HO are identical internally, all forged internals. The difference is the turbo's, tuning, fuel system and charge coolers. At least that's what I've heard from a tech friend that has worked on them in the Wagoneer's.

I'm sure the SO's can be pushed up to HO levels of power with tuning alone, but not sure there's much to be had beyond that without changing parts. While the HO's have a lot more headroom.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you hunt up Fikacs testing ,the new engine is about a full second faster then the 5.7 was. Stock on 87 octane,his new truck is running mid 13's,the same configuration of truck with a 5.7 is about a mid 14 sec truck.
Takes me 30 seconds on my hemi, I neva mash the skinny pedal Dat Much. :angels25::Big Laugh:

There are some reported issues on the SO with 87 Octane, getting P0304 codes. The solution seems to be run better/higher octane fuel. My Kid, in his leased 2025 Bighorn, SO motor, just did a trip NJ, FL, back to NJ with stops. I told him to run better fuel than 87. He ran midgrade entire trip and he reported truck ran great.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
From what I've heard the SO and HO are identical internally, all forged internals. The difference is the turbo's, tuning, fuel system and charge coolers. At least that's what I've heard from a tech friend that has worked on them in the Wagoneer's.

I'm sure the SO's can be pushed up to HO levels of power with tuning alone, but not sure there's much to be had beyond that without changing parts. While the HO's have a lot more headroom.
That's the issue,there's no tuning available for them,and it sounds like it's going to be awhile before that happens.
Even once there is tuning,i wonder how many guys will try it,if there's a chance of bricking the pcm,which appears to be the current issues facing the tuning outfits

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
That's the issue,there's no tuning available for them,and it sounds like it's going to be awhile before that happens.
Even once there is tuning,i wonder how many guys will try it,if there's a chance of bricking the pcm,which appears to be the current issues facing the tuning outfits
It was like this when the gen 4 1500's came out. And then again in 2017'ish when FCA updated the security on the PCM's. There's not a chance in hell I'd be flashing my stock PCM. I bought a second unlocked PCM for my last 1500 for that very reason.

Anyone that rolls those dice is either foolish or brave, with not much separating either.

Good thing is once they crack it I'm sure we'll see some significant gains with tuning alone. Boosted engines always take to tuning really well.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It was like this when the gen 4 1500's came out. And then again in 2017'ish when FCA updated the security on the PCM's. There's not a chance in hell I'd be flashing my stock PCM. I bought a second unlocked PCM for my last 1500 for that very reason.

Anyone that rolls those dice is either foolish or brave, with not much separating either.

Good thing is once they crack it I'm sure we'll see some significant gains with tuning alone. Boosted engines always take to tuning really well.
The engines have been out in the Jeeps for awhile now,and there's still no progress on tuning them yet,sure makes you wonder how much more time it'll be before they're tunable

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
From what I've heard the SO and HO are identical internally, all forged internals.

No, they differ like 60% internals. It was mentioned already but they mostly just shared the name and displacement, they are built quite a bit differently and Sky already said don't bother with the SO.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

The 6.4 SRT should be more than a match for the SO though. Not fair to compare the 2500 6.4 vs a passenger car engine.