AC Accumulator Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was working on my AC system, and it held a vacuum just fine for hours. I charged it up and noticed the condenser fan was not kicking in. I turned off the truck and heard a leak. Long story short, there is a wire bundle that goes by the accumulator, and it has worn a hole in the side. Obviously it was enough to stand up to the vacuum, but not to the pressure of refrigerant in the system. I know if I replace other components I would need to flush the system to keep from destroying my compressor. My question, is do I have to flush the system if I replace the accumulator? I know it has a desiccant in it, so it shouldn't be exposed to the air for any extended time. If I could replace it myself, that would be great since I have a manifold and vacuum pump.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was mine I would replace it myself. After it's replaced do a triple evac. Evacuate to 30" and watch for an obvious leak. Break the vacuum with refrigerant to 0psi and evac again to 30". Do the same again. If you feel comfortable system is tight recharge.

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Condenser fan... are you talking about the electric fan clutch? I've had a hell of a time with mine. The fan wants to cut the wires then it won't engage. Lots of zip ties, a rubber hose cut in half, and don't drive over 70 mph is the only way I've been able to keep mine intact.

As far as the accumulator goes... if you replace it, all is good. The only thing to worry about is when a compressor goes bad. It can send metal into the system that takes out the new compressor. But the metal should get caught in the accumulator (filter) so I don't really worry about it any more. I've replaced a bunch of compressors over the years and the only thing I've ever had trouble with is PAG oil. F-ck PAG oil. Use ester oil and you will never have a problem.