Adjust rear bumper in and or out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can anyone tell me how to adjust my rear bumper in on one side .
The bumper is out by a 1/2" ! WAS NEVER HIT! Factory screw up?
Can I adjust it ??

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take a look, maybe you'll get lucky and there will be some adjustment.

More than likely there won't, it may be that the bolt holes on one side of the brackets were 'drilled' incorrectly. If that's the case a guy could (or have a buddy/neighbor) remove the bumper & re-cut the holes on that side further out to get the fit you want. Or oblong the holes with a large round file that would take a long time, but it's do-able if you don't have a lot of tools.

If you tow, probably the 'right' way to go if you had to oblong the holes, would be to weld back the hole so it fits 'tight' when bolted up. That would remove the possibility of the bumper sliding in/out when towing. Let us know what your ultimate solution turns out to be :waytogo:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Possibly, IF it is tight against the body on 1 side & away from the body on the other.
Pull out one side & push in the other.

BUT before doing anything else, check the fit between the CAB & BED

At the assembly line, they don't measure anything before they use the Impact Wrenches to tighten everything down.
As they lower the CAB onto the Frame, or lower the Bed onto the Frame.
At the Warren Michigan Assembly Line ..There is a Hole in the Frame & a Hole in the Cab or Bed.
As the body part is lowered onto the Frame, 2 people Align the body & frame part up using Metal Rods, that guides the parts up so that the Bolts will fit in the holes.
If the bolts fit in, they are tightened down.
Sometimes the cab & bed are an inch or more crooked

At the Sterling Heights Assembly, where they assemble the Gen 5 Rams, the same process is done with Machines, they show it in this video, the video was not put together in Sequence,

3 minute version of Ram Assembly

OP
OP
J

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All that said, IF its the bumper, can it be adjusted in or out?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If the mounting holes are oblong then yes , have a look . They used to be manufactured that way, I haven’t had any apart on this generation.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I hate to be a party pooper, but did you measure the distance of the bed to the cab up front? Make sure it's the bumper and not the bed that's shifted. Worn bed mounts will do that

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The amount of time you've wasted on here asking your question,would of been enough time to actually go loosen the bolts and fine tune it's fitment. Get off your rear and go see what you can do with some wrenches
Get U some thick washers and use as Spacers and set it to where U want it to be.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Get U some thick washers and use as Spacers and set it to where U want it to be.
There is some adjustability to the rear bumper brackets,which the OP would of found out,if he'd actually went outside and looked at his bumper.He can also slot the holes if he needs more adjustability,but common sense doesn't appear to be a thing anymore,when they can get on the internet and whine for help.
When i cut out the tow hitch and lightened my rear bumper,there was lots of adjustabilty to get it to fit the body lines,and if i'd needed more,slotting the holes would of worked.

Attachments

• DSCN4137.JPG
    DSCN4137.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN4139.JPG
    DSCN4139.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN4142.JPG
    DSCN4142.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN4145.JPG
    DSCN4145.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN4147.JPG
    DSCN4147.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BTW...I'll be finding the same thing out here soon. I have to bring mine out a bit now on one side.

Me and a nice lady tapped each other yesterday backing out of parking stalls at the same time. I looked/she looked ....we missed each other (blind spots). The tk's bumper damage was superficial, her SUV didn't fare as well, but still pretty light damage. I'll probably wait a week or two till the insurance companies settle things.