Rear Tires Rubbing After New Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tire should not be the issue. I have a '19 1500 classic with 275/60/20 factory size, but run 305/55/20 mud grips in fall/winter for hunting with no rubbing.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like a overload problem, but you did not have a load, New shocks giving you more bounce in the rear? not likely.
have a teenager in the house cutting donuts at night with your truck ? :crazy:
Speed bump could do that I guess

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
to me that looks like the truck is over loaded and rubbing on where the liner starts to round, but you say your not hauling anything so are you **** down a verry rough road or something to get the tires to stuff that far up into the wheel well or are these pictures with the weight of the suspension?
I haven't hauled anything or towed anything for a few months. I do tow a 7k pound trailer but I use a weight distribution hitch. And no bombing down crazy roads or anything like that. I guess it is possible it is from towing the trailer a few months ago, but I don't think so. It's just crazy how high above the tire the marks are

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like a overload problem, but you did not have a load, New shocks giving you more bounce in the rear? not likely.
have a teenager in the house cutting donuts at night with your truck ? :crazy:
Speed bump could do that I guess
No teenagers haha. I do sometimes tow a 7k pound trailer but I use a weight distribution hitch and it's been a few months since I've towed.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Hook up to the trailer and snap a picture of the wheel well. Those rub marks are pretty high to consider it was from regular road use. Your trailer is either heavier than you assume or someone is playing Dukes of Hazard with your truck.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hook up to the trailer and snap a picture of the wheel well. Those rub marks are pretty high to consider it was from regular road use. Your trailer is either heavier than you assume or someone is playing Dukes of Hazard with your truck.
I can possibly do this later today. However, I can tell you for certain that I felt it rub with nothing in the bed and no trailer attached.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
It started with the shocks, so I think you should be looking real hard at them, get on the bumper and bounce the rear end to see if it feels wrong.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The liners rub because he warped them by not properly removing them entirely to get the upper bolt out.
Also in his earlier post he stated he has the bolts in backwards. Post #11
We're not getting the whole story or we need a bigger picture to see for ourselves what's going on. I don't think there is a mechanical issue at all.

Resolution: Remove the splash panels like you should of to begin with, and warp them back to shape so that they're flat and not bulged out hitting the tire.

Rdtripp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd agree that further inspection is needed. I would dirty up that liner after making sure it's flat as it should be or close. Then I would try hooking up this heavy RV, and hit some big potholes, or dips in and out of your local gas station driveway and see if you can make them even close to rubbing. This is assuming that every part is as it should be. I bottomed out my ram 1500 and it left a witness mark on the inner liner, from a driveway at a gas station. It's stock in all respects. Something to look at if this mystery isn't getting anywhere..lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It started with the shocks, so I think you should be looking real hard at them, get on the bumper and bounce the rear end to see if it feels wrong.
I will do this! Also someone suggested contacting bilstein to see if they have heard of this so I'll do that too. I have to go run some errands with my wife but I will check it out in a few hours and report back

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd agree that further inspection is needed. I would dirty up that liner after making sure it's flat as it should be or close. Then I would try hooking up this heavy RV, and hit some big potholes, or dips in and out of your local gas station driveway and see if you can make them even close to rubbing. This is assuming that every part is as it should be. I bottomed out my ram 1500 and it left a witness mark on the inner liner, from a driveway at a gas station. It's stock in all respects. Something to look at if this mystery isn't getting anywhere..lol
I just had the truck to a mechanic 2 days ago for an alignment, they inspected the suspension and said everything looks good. Funny you mention gas stations because coming out of my local chevron is where I first noticed the rubbing after doing the shocks!

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's how the truck looks hooked up to my travel trailer. This is from before I switched out the shocks and rear suspension components though. Doesn't seem to sag too much to me but I welcome feedback as this is my first travel trailer. Also, ignore the huge dent from getting high centered on a boulder

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1725308488258.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725308488258.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got on the tailgate and bounced around pretty good, didn't see or hear anything abnormal. Also bounced each rear corner and didn't observe anything unusual, the shocks appear to be working properly. No noises or sensation of rubbing.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I see the weight now. On mine there is plenty of distance between the inner tire and the wheel house. Are your wheels close on both sides? Or just one side. Sorry if you've already answered that...I didn't go back and re-read all the posts again.

I wonder if the steel wheels are narrower?? (mine are Aluminum)..

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I see the weight now. On mine there is plenty of distance between the inner tire and the wheel house. Are your wheels close on both sides? Or just one side. Sorry if you've already answered that...I didn't go back and re-read all the posts again.

I wonder if the steel wheels are narrower?? (mine are Aluminum)..
My tires are fairly close to the wheel well liners, I think that is what you are asking. I can maybe fit two fingers between the tire and the liner. If that is not what you are asking let me know

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The liners rub because he warped them by not properly removing them entirely to get the upper bolt out.
We're not getting the whole story or we need a bigger picture to see for ourselves what's going on. I don't think there is a mechanical issue at all.

Resolution: Remove the splash panels like you should of to begin with, and warp them back to shape so that they're flat and not bulged out hitting the tire.
This makes the most sense to me, and what I mentioned in a previous post. I can't imagine 5 psi different inflation in the tires causing this, or how the shocks somehow make them rub either.
As far as the distance up in the wheelwell, that could easily happen by hitting a speedbump at an angle while turning or coming in or out of a halfway steep driveway or parking lot entrance. The tires probably don't move up that far just driving straight down the road, but could easily when flexed out side to side.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

No offense, but you can easily remove the upper bolt without even touching the liner. Just because the shop manual says you need to do something doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be done to complete the job. The liners are definitely not warped. Also if you read the rest of the thread, the bolts are not in backwards. Someone posted a picture of how the bolts should be installed and that is how mine are installed. There was initial confusion over how the bolts were installed based on a description of the direction of the bolts someone posted, but they are installed correctly.

I am definitely telling you "the whole story" as you put it. I'm not hiding anything or leaving anything out. If you guys need more information or details let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

I appreciate everyones assistance and ideas.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Resolution: Remove the splash panels like you should of to begin with, and warp them back to shape so that they're flat

I do agree that it is looking like there is no mechanical problem. They haven't rubbed for a few days since I aired up and got an alignment. Don't know if that is coincidental or casual. If they start rubbing again I will pull the liners and flatten with a heat gun, if needed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum