Rear Tires Rubbing After New Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No offense, but you can easily remove the upper bolt without even touching the liner. Just because the shop manual says you need to do something doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be done to complete the job. The liners are definitely not warped. Also if you read the rest of the thread, the bolts are not in backwards. Someone posted a picture of how the bolts should be installed and that is how mine are installed. There was initial confusion over how the bolts were installed based on a description of the direction of the bolts someone posted, but they are installed correctly.

I am definitely telling you "the whole story" as you put it. I'm not hiding anything or leaving anything out. If you guys need more information or details let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

I appreciate everyone’s assistance and ideas.
Very odd. What tires are you running ?

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very odd. What tires are you running ?
BF Goodrich ta ko2 all terrain, 275/70/r17. Plenty of room to do the shocks if you lie flat on your back under the truck. I didn't have to touch the liner. I know the book says remove it but there was no reason to in my case.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I measured mine...about 2.5" (not quite 3-fingers) ...but your tires are slightly wider...so that accounts for the difference. Well if they are't rubbing now. Maybe it was going around corners or some unusual circumstance.

Happy camping!! :waytogo:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
when I retired and moved to the city, we have those round curbs to the drive way and thy can be quite a bump . No long slope like in the older part of town.
If you have the same, back up with one back wheel on the curb and other on the street.
It would give you a idea how close the tire could be when the real end is twisted.
Sounds like no problem

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
when I retired and moved to the city, we have those round curbs to the drive way and thy can be quite a bump . No long slope like in the older part of town.
If you have the same, back up with one back wheel on the curb and other on the street.
It would give you a idea how close the tire could be when the real end is twisted.
Sounds like no problem
Thanks Marshall, that's good advice! I will give that a try as I do have the round hump type of curb

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought some of those rubber curb ramps and they make a huge difference, take all the thump out.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I measured mine...about 2.5" (not quite 3-fingers) ...but your tires are slightly wider...so that accounts for the difference. Well if they are't rubbing now. Maybe it was going around corners or some unusual circumstance.

Happy camping!! :waytogo:
Thanks for measuring! There is about 2 fingers of space between my tire sidewall and the wheel well liner, so sounds like it is pretty similar to yours

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum