Alpha obd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So, turns out the issue was NOT the OBDLink software upgrade. Apologies to them for wrongly blaming them. However, have still not heard back from support.

Turned out to be a very simple error. When I plugged the bypass cable connector into the OBD port it wasn't full and square. It had pin contact to read existing settings but wasn't in far enough to actually write the changes. Once I full seated the connector everything worked perfectly. Hope this helps others. This is the error message from the unseated connector. Screenshot_20240703_103035_AlfaOBD.jpg

What twigged me, after I downloaded the older software version, was I tried resetting the tpms limits as a test. I knew for sure that worked fine so when it didnt work with the old link software and gave the same error message I went looking for other causes. Screenshot_20240703_094840_AlfaOBD.jpg

85octane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Gas non-ET
You're supposed to cycle power after every alfaobd change? I did not do that. It does appear all settings saved. I changed quite a few things (logged and back up saved) and now have no drls even though they are selected on the now available settings in my radio. I followed a guide with 6 settings to change for drl. The one I thought was weird is to turn off signature lights. I think that may be messing me up.
I set to optional drl, dedicated lamp location, dropout enabled, signature lights present changed to no (as per instructions) and voltages set to 7.4 on left and right

Also trying to get the travel link app and radio apps to appear in the radio. Set those both along with album art in cluster, hold n go, and us/metric csm's in alfaobd but nothing had changed

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You're supposed to cycle power after every alfaobd change?
No, not necessary at all.
dedicated lamp location
This is why you have no DRLs. Dedicated doesn’t work on 5th gen’s. The only lamp locations that work on 5th gen’s is low beam and turn signal.
Also trying to get the travel link app and radio apps to appear in the radio. Set those both along with album art in cluster, hold n go, and us/metric csm's in alfaobd but nothing had changed
You have a 2022 with Uconnect 5. Travel link is no longer used for UC5. Traffic and weather is now part of Ram Connect services.

Album art in cluster is only for 2023+ full digital instrument cluster.

Hold n go not for ram.

You should already have us/metric selection in the radio vehicle settings (units of measure).

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're supposed to cycle power after every alfaobd change? I did not do that. It does appear all settings saved.

I believe that the power cycle directive may be a holdover from years ago, or who knows where.

As previously mentioned, I've made many successful changes with and without power cycling.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Where does the option to select drl or turn them off show up. Have looked under all the categories in settings and the apps screen. Dont see it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks for confirming. That is where my owners manual said that is where it should show up. Have all the options set right so we shall see if that shows up in the options in a day or so.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Success. Two days later and a few cycles of running a few places and the DRL option now shows right where it should. With DRLs off I still have the signature lights or eyebrows so am going to playaround with turning them off. The DRLs when they are on are still the Canadian default low beams so that works just fine. Thanks a bunch for the help RamDiver.

20240704_192216.jpg

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Success. Two days later and a few cycles of running a few places and the DRL option now shows right where it should. With DRLs off I still have the signature lights or eyebrows so am going to playaround with turning them off. The DRLs when they are on are still the Canadian default low beams so that works just fine. Thanks a bunch for the help RamDiver.

View attachment 546257

You're welcome, I'm glad your perseverance paid.

Maybe, I'll make a note on the couple of days to appear, for future reference. :cool:

The default DRLs for my year/model is front turn signals.

Please let us know what you discover with tweaking the brow lights.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
CBC Extern.Light Calibr.: Signature Light Present- No
Thanks. I found that too, just haven't had time to play with it yet. Will post results but I fully expect that will shut off the signature lights. Just below that is: CBC Extern. Light Calibr.: Signature Dropout Enabled

I plan to play with that setting too and see what it does. It would be good if I had the option to have them on or off.

Screenshot_20240705_102314_AlfaOBD[1].jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks. I found that too, just haven't had time to play with it yet. Will post results but I fully expect that will shut off the signature lights. Just below that is: CBC Extern. Light Calibr.: Signature Dropout Enabled

I plan to play with that setting too and see what it does. It would be good if I had the option to have them on or off.

View attachment 546268
Signature dropout enabled just means that when you use a turn signal, the corresponding signature lamp will shut off while that headlight’s turn signal is in use.

When you disable the signature lamps with alfaobd, the dropout setting becomes irrelevant.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Signature dropout enabled just means that when you use a turn signal, the corresponding signature lamp will shut off while that headlight’s turn signal is in use.

When you disable the signature lamps with alfaobd, the dropout setting becomes irrelevant.
Cool, makes perfect sense. THANKS for the info. It is what I really like about this place, guys that will help any time they can.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So turned the signature lights off. They are off when the light switch is off, they do not show when the daytime running lights are on, these are set to be the low beams. They do still show when the switch is in the parklamp position, as well as when the low or high beams are full on.

The eyebrows are set so they don't drop out when the signal is on. Both low and high beam are set not to drop out when the signal is on. I always though the headlight drop out on the signal side was just plain dumb. I know the idea is to make the signal light more visible but it really looks goofy and I can always use more light than less. Hope this helps others.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So turned the signature lights off. They are off when the light switch is off, they do not show when the daytime running lights are on, these are set to be the low beams. They do still show when the switch is in the parklamp position, as well as when the low or high beams are full on.

The eyebrows are set so they don't drop out when the signal is on. Both low and high beam are set not to drop out when the signal is on. I always though the headlight drop out on the signal side was just plain dumb. I know the idea is to make the signal light more visible but it really looks goofy and I can always use more light than less. Hope this helps others.
The signature lights are only signature lights when the headlight switch is in the off position, or when the headlight switch is in the auto position and it’s not dark enough for the headlights to be on.
Otherwise, whenever the headlight switch is in the on position, parking lamp position, or auto with it being dark enough for the headlights to come on, the signature lights become the parking lamps regardless of whether or not the signature lamp feature is enabled or disabled. Those signature lamp LED strips are also fed by the same circuit as the amber side markers.