Anybody using wheel spacers with stock wheels? Share some pics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnyPyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I ran some on my last truck (2017 F-150 Lariat), and I'm looking into a set for my Ram (2019 Laramie). Since I have the factory fender flairs, I'm thinking about doing 1.5" spacers, but I'd like to get an idea what it'd look like with factory wheels. Most listings for spacers online with customer pics also have aftermarket wheels, so it's hard to get a good gauge. I was looking at bonoss spacers, it seem to make quality spacers but they are pricey, has anyone used it before? How is the quality?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
IDK what your wheels look like but most factory wheels look like hot garbage so I'd get new wheels instead. Spacers increase your scrub radius, putting the center of your tire further away from your steering axis, requiring more force/wear to force the wheels to turn. I used to have spacers (came on the truck) but when it was time for new tires I got new wheels as well. Specifically got ones with less offset moving the scrub radius back where it should be but also wider so that I still got that same stanced look.

Spacers aren't the end of the world, like I said I ran them for over 40k miles, but that's just because they were already there. I would never go out and actually buy them myself.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
personally, i think even ugly stock wheels pushed out to be level with the edge of the fender flare looks better then non ugly non stock wheels that are 2 inches sunken in

i think spacers are an excellent option to hold you over until you can buy some new wheels with a low enough backspace to look good with the fender flares

as long as we are talking quality spacers, not cheap chinesium ones
really, what you want is the kind of spacer that bolts to the stock lugs, and then has a second set of lugs for the wheel to sit on

do not try to use a spacer that is just a one inch thick plate with 6 holes in it

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
1/2" spacers on 34" tires. The poke is slight, but it's there.

newtires.jpg

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
personally, i think even ugly stock wheels pushed out to be level with the edge of the fender flare looks better then non ugly non stock wheels that are 2 inches sunken in

i think spacers are an excellent option to hold you over until you can buy some new wheels with a low enough backspace to look good with the fender flares

as long as we are talking quality spacers, not cheap chinesium ones
really, what you want is the kind of spacer that bolts to the stock lugs, and then has a second set of lugs for the wheel to sit on

do not try to use a spacer that is just a one inch thick plate with 6 holes in it
I would think that a single-piece setup would be more stable than have your rims mounted on a ring, that is in turn mounted on another ring. A lot more torque on the lugs farther from the hub. You know, IMO not being a mechanical engineer.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think that a single-piece setup would be more stable than have your rims mounted on a ring, that is in turn mounted on another ring. A lot more torque on the lugs farther from the hub. You know, IMO not being a mechanical engineer.
How would you get enough thread engagement on you lug nuts ?

Your only option would be swapping out to longer studs

If you want to go through that trouble I would agree that not doubling the amount of lugs is a good idea (in fact, I have done this for thousands of miles on a VW I once had, but that vehicle had lug bolts instead of studs, so it was easy to get a longer bolt in there

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How would you get enough thread engagement on you lug nuts ?

Your only option would be swapping out to longer studs

If you want to go through that trouble I would agree that not doubling the amount of lugs is a good idea (in fact, I have done this for thousands of miles on a VW I once had, but that vehicle had lug bolts instead of studs, so it was easy to get a longer bolt in there
I had the thought of installing longer studs.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
1/2" spacers aren't a problem, but I wouldn't go any wider than that without longer studs.

stdyrln

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just make sure there Concentric, added them to my rebel wheels- no issues, if you do a lift or have higher mileage you should be changing out the stock component's that could be put under more stress anyways- whether the wheel has the offset or a combination of wheel and spacer the suspension doesn't know. Seems like adding some thread locker to the inner lugnuts would be a good move- i mean ram thread locks every other bolt and nut so it would be keeping in spec.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rule of thumb is 7 full rotations of lug nuts to sit properly. Stock lugs have exactly 7 full turns without any slip on spacer. Either use studs that are liner by the same amount as the spacer, or use bolt on spacer.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just make sure there Concentric, added them to my rebel wheels- no issues, if you do a lift or have higher mileage you should be changing out the stock component's that could be put under more stress anyways- whether the wheel has the offset or a combination of wheel and spacer the suspension doesn't know. Seems like adding some thread locker to the inner lugnuts would be a good move- i mean ram thread locks every other bolt and nut so it would be keeping in spec.
I'm sure the OP would like to see a pic of that rebel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanfam