Anyone modified their horn - I want something more obnoxious..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Being obnoxious can certainly result in louder noises.

No winners there. I'm dealt with the aftermath of shooting someone who needed shooting, it's a lot more stressful than someone being stupid in traffic. I'd too tired to deal with people's stupidity and would rather just let some retard in traffic go on their way being ******** then "teach them a lesson" or otherwise engage. You do you, just something to consider before becoming a self appointed driving instructor via loud noises.
Agreed

In my area there's an indoctrination with some of the thugs running the streets here where if you flash your lights at them when they are driving at night without their lights on (as a curtesy to make them aware they don't have them on) or you honk at them for driving slow/stupid/etc around you...you become their immediate shooting target. I can't even remember the last time I honked at someone tbh. I just need my horn to work for the car alarm nowadays.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

JW2 Innovations

i thought that was a South San Diego thing.
We have some thugs that are very territorial, they run around without lights or just with fog lights, if you flash your lights at them, to warn them, you can expect to be run off the road, or shot at.
Mostly they are Mexicans, running around in lowered foreign cars.
One particular road is the dividing line between two towns, that road is a war zone. If there is one car running without lights, there is another partner car nearby

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I myself got tired of idiot being distracted by cellphones and yes reading a newspaper or magazine.
My current install on my 2016 Ram is a self contained air horn from Motohorn. I wired the relay coil in parallel with the factory horns so it would power that relay with the contacts being wired to the battery and the compressor so all horns honk at the same time.
But I did one great modification by adding a relay paralleled off the first relays contacts, and that second relay coil is wired to its own momentary switch so the air horns can be used by themselves. And I'm ready to add a second self contained air horn fairy soon

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Agreed

In my area there's an indoctrination with some of the thugs running the streets here where if you flash your lights at them when they are driving at night without their lights on (as a curtesy to make them aware they don't have them on) or you honk at them for driving slow/stupid/etc around you...you become their immediate shooting target. I can't even remember the last time I honked at someone tbh. I just need my horn to work for the car alarm nowadays.

The headlight thing has been around as an urban legend for nearly 40 years. I've been a beat cop in a very violent area, detective in Homicide & Robbery, and currently a supervisor in the same. We easily get into the triple digits on homicides each year. I know of zero instances were that's been real, nor a murder of a random as a initiation at all. Targeted, yes, as in 'that guy owes us money' or 'that guy made a diss rap video about us', but not just randomly select someone to murder. For a lot of reasons, but probably deeper in the weeds than we need to go.

But honking, yeah, for sure has resulted in inbound bullets. Not because of gangs, because of a large number of a-sholes with guns, poor conflict resolution skills, and ego/anger issues which may (or may not) be amped up with the recreational pharmaceutical of the day. Too many young guys wound way too effin' tight and no idea how to deal with it.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
The headlight thing has been around as an urban legend for nearly 40 years. I've been a beat cop in a very violent area, detective in Homicide & Robbery, and currently a supervisor in the same. We easily get into the triple digits on homicides each year. I know of zero instances were that's been real, nor a murder of a random as a initiation at all. Targeted, yes, as in 'that guy owes us money' or 'that guy made a diss rap video about us', but not just randomly select someone to murder. For a lot of reasons, but probably deeper in the weeds than we need to go.

But honking, yeah, for sure has resulted in inbound bullets. Not because of gangs, because of a large number of a-sholes with guns, poor conflict resolution skills, and ego/anger issues which may (or may not) be amped up with the recreational pharmaceutical of the day. Too many young guys wound way too effin' tight and no idea how to deal with it.
Urban legend for headlights, gotcha. Either way I tend to lean towards not being the spark to idiots and short fuses edging for an excuse to do bad things towards me and mine.

Realizing there are a lot of cities with crime issues and many seem to be on the rise from what I've seen, I just know what's around me here daily - Memphis (when it gets reported/tracked - which isn't 100%). Tired of showing up on all the "Worst 10 or 12 cities" according to FBI data, this groups data, etc for "nearly" (trying to be nice) the entire last 20 years. Larger different discussion for sure.

Back on the horn topic here, I've thought a couple times about a train horn of some type - but would have to have remote control so I could also use to remote trigger when my neighbors teenagers are up with their friends at 2-4am in the pool making all kinds of noise waking their neighbors up - parents partying with them sometimes. Has been bad from time to time. Ended up just getting a simple sleep machine to drown out most of their noise as I always seem to have enough "other" projects/interests at any given point.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Urban legend for headlights, gotcha. Either way I tend to lean towards not being the spark to idiots and short fuses edging for an excuse to do bad things towards me and mine.

Realizing there are a lot of cities with crime issues and many seem to be on the rise from what I've seen, I just know what's around me here daily - Memphis (when it gets reported/tracked - which isn't 100%). Tired of showing up on all the "Worst 10 or 12 cities" according to FBI data, this groups data, etc for "nearly" (trying to be nice) the entire last 20 years. Larger different discussion for sure.
Just a wild guess, you live in a town run by demoncrats?

3CUMMINS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 2005 2019 2020
Engine
5.9 5.9 6.7HO 6.7
My son got rid of his 2020 2500 CTD and bought a 2005 3500 CTD dually. It was used to bring RV's into Canada. Other than a slip tank, it also came with dual air horns.
When he first got it, they were not working. They are now.
They have a separate system so don't bother the regular horn (picture the sound of the Road Runner who can only pump out one beep and has almost lost his voice. We are a family of CTD's and while none of the horns would win any awards, this one would not be allowed to enter. He has a rope and handle coming out from the headliner/roof to activate them.
When he honks at someone, they look to see where the semi is coming from. before they get hit.
When he first bought the truck, his 4 year old daughter asked if they worked and, when told no, asked that he hook them up.
I know that they are here before the dogs hear the Cummins. She just laughs. Her mother hates them...
I don't care. Gotta be some fun in life...

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Realizing there are a lot of cities with crime issues and many seem to be on the rise from what I've seen, I just know what's around me here daily - Memphis (when it gets reported/tracked - which isn't 100%). Tired of showing up on all the "Worst 10 or 12 cities" according to FBI data, this groups data, etc for "nearly" (trying to be nice) the entire last 20 years. Larger differ

Agreed. I am very pro minding my own business and not engaging. I've got a pretty solid rule of: Am I willing to escalate this to the point one of us gets shot over? No? Then I'm not willing to engage over this.

Memphis is a great place to get stabbed over some nonsense.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As mentioned previously, also the horn on mine is impossible to just tap and give a quick toot. I have to actually put about 5+ pounds of pressure on it to get a sound, and then it blares. What I want is like the 3 quick honks it gives when I get out and close the door carrying my fob. What I get is embarrassing.

K2EPM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

cqmorrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Ideally if I could just tap into the horn wiring and add another horn (without causing a fuse draw problem) I would love to do that. There certainly times when I would like to blow away some of these idiot drivers. No, i dont want to go the air horn route - just go louder!
One big caution. I had air horn installed on a GMC yukon. It was tied into the horn. Had nothing but electrical problems with alarm system going off. Dealer said this was installer issue and would not fix. Installer said it was a warranty problem.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wife and I went to Memphis one time....she was dead set on staying at that pyramid place that bass pro acquired from the basketball team I guess...that place was nice but I could tell about the area getting there it was doody.

Last edited:

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Bought these after one of the stock horns died. They’re a bit louder and they vibrate the tone.

Also, the engineer who decided to put the stock horns under the fender above the drivers side tire can ***** with ****!IMG_4043.png

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Ideally if I could just tap into the horn wiring and add another horn (without causing a fuse draw problem) I would love to do that. There certainly times when I would like to blow away some of these idiot drivers. No, i dont want to go the air horn route - just go louder!
I put an oga horn on many of the vehicles I have owned. It now is in our 19 RAM limited. I have a horn button down by the drivers knee on the center . Its a funny way to say lets get moving or Hi

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
The wife and I went to Memphis one time....she was dead set on staying at that pyramid place that bass pro acquired from the basketball team I guess...that place was nice but I could tell about the area getting there it was doody.
The pyramid is actually a cool setup and usage for that building tbh, especially compared to it's previous use. Bad acoustics during concerts, sat for a number of years before revamped to Bass Pro Shop, etc. Has tallest free standing elevator in it too, which is worth a trip up in it if you stop and visit it. Live alligators and of coarse the large fish tank full of freshwater fish.

Area around there, especially in evening/night, you'd better keep your head on a swivel. Many locals in surrounding area don't even go to downtown that often/anymore it's gotten so bad. And if you do, stay on major highway that's close to/from. Rather sad compared to many years back, though since I've been here (over 22 yrs) it's never been "safe".

Even Beale St, which isn't too far from Bass Pro Shop Pyramid, I don't go to hardly ever. Good place to get robbed and be lucky to walk away from alive when you walk to/from Beale St itself after parking. And even then should be in good size group or carry permit if you are walking in area around Beale St if do decide to go. Probably best to take Uber and be dropped of at end of the street section for Beale St (West Side best) tbh when staying local.