Best Time To Sell My Rig and How To Find the Best Mini Motor Home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Hello, all.

For some time now I have been pondering selling my 2019 3500 Laramie Dually (has every option except adaptive cruise and airbags and extended factory warranty to 2026) which has only 27K miles and purchasing a 4 wheel mini motor home--one like the tall, long aerodynamic 4WD diesel Mercedes

How, when and where should I advertise my rig, and how, when and where do I find the little motor home? I have looked online at the RVs for sale but it is VERY confusing.

If you were to do this, how would you do it? I am in S Arizona.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
try rv trader and google up your nearby dealers to check inventory..just like truck shopping. the dsl ones are kinda pricey but there are a lot of them for sale so maybe there's a good deal out there.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I assume you meant a "2019" 3500 Laramie Dually.

You live in Ajo, and there are a couple RV parks right there and a little south in Why. You could probably talk to some of the people staying there for pointers on buying a motorhome.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
RVtrader and search for Class B motorhomes. Those will give you tons of options and likely a lot of local places to you.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I assume you meant a "2019" 3500 Laramie Dually.

You live in Ajo, and there are a couple RV parks right there and a little south in Why. You could probably talk to some of the people staying there for pointers on buying a motorhome.
I wonder when might be the best time to find the best deal in S Arizona.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wonder when might be the best time to find the best deal in S Arizona.
Probably like most place - at the end of camping season, when some people decide the lifestyle isn't for them (or they can't afford it like they thought they could), and/or at the time the snowbirds head back home and a lot of them want to sell their rigs.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The best time to find an RV is in the off-season. Not sure when the off-season is in Arizona, but in a lot of places it's typically the end of December through the end of February. However, if you find the floorplan that you want and can patiently wait and find one from an individual you can sometimes find one during peak season for a good deal.

I picked up my travel trailer mid-April from a retired couple that thought they would pull it to their kids houses when they went to visit. It had lived inside a climate controlled building connected to shore power and had only been towed on 2 trips. They decided they'd rather bunk with their kids than haul a trailer. Practically brand new inside and out and I paid about $20k less than the dealer wanted for a new one.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the full timers we know mostly have Luxe or Redwoods and a montana or two. you will need a 3500 to move just about any 5th wheel that is suitable for fulltiming with kids. dually even better.

dennisok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would suggest you contact Jason Hayes at Pops Rv. His number is 310-429-0562. He will set you up to recieve listing's on for sale rv's, with the criteria you want.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Probably like most place - at the end of camping season, when some people decide the lifestyle isn't for them (or they can't afford it like they thought they could), and/or at the time the snowbirds head back home and a lot of them want to sell their rigs.
Sounds logical. We have a large influx of SBirds here.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The best time to find an RV is in the off-season. Not sure when the off-season is in Arizona, but in a lot of places it's typically the end of December through the end of February. However, if you find the floorplan that you want and can patiently wait and find one from an individual you can sometimes find one during peak season for a good deal.
Not here in Arizona. Wintertime is on-season here as everyone from anyplace cold comes here between October and April. After April, when they all start to head back home, is when all the RV's are available from those who don't want to haul them back to Canada or Minnesota again.

HarryN

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
For the past 5 ish years, there has been a pretty massive shortage of vans coming into the market.

People were ordering them and being on allocation / long wait times.

Roughly since the beginning of the year, Ford especially has been starting to catch up and it is feasible to find more of them on the market.

The class B / vans fall roughly into:
Ram Promaster based
- most width and flattest walls to work with
- FWD only and one engine / transmission no matter if small or large
- Tends to be the lowest cost to purchase
- Usually 159 wheel base
- Floor height and clearance are nearly identical to a dodge minivan

Ford Transit based
- Next easiest to convert
- Now quite as wide or straight walls as the Promaster
- Available in AWD and RWD but not all
- Typically 148 WB but a few 130 WB around
- Probably the most reliable drive train of them all but definitely not a truck in terms of ratings

MB sprinter
- Possibly the most aesthetic
- Definitely the most fuel efficient for long trips
- Mostly diesel but a few gasoline versions
- Definitely the most finicky in terms of maintenance has to be done "exactly" correctly
- 144 and 170 WB versions
- AWD and RWD versions out there
- By far the most narrow and slanted walls so a trade off in terms of WB for use

Conversions done by the usual factories that make RVs along with a lot of small conversion companies and individuals. Some that know what they are doing, some not so much.