Big white collar layoffs at Stellantis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To get back on topic, I think (based on friends with EVs) the reluctance is also due to the other costs like batteries and garage chargers. My DIL had a Prius and the first time they had to replace a battery it nearly broke 'em.
The *average* car on American roads is 12.5 years old and that number climbs a bit higher each year.

The *average* EV battery only lasts 10 years. So there's.a 2.5 year gap between the life expectancy of an EV and the average age of a car on the road today.

Try and spin it however you want, that math just doesn't add up.

I see Toyota is making the new Camry hybrid only. Let's see how that works out for them. Will it cannabilize Prius sales or have they shot themselves in the foot by eliminating the simpler and easier to maintain gas only model?

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted for Perot then, and would do so again. He correctly predicted the banking crisis, NAFTA gian

I've also seen automotive history films showing that numerous other auto makers made EV's as far back as the end of the 1890's. They have ALL eventually abandoned the concept.
The auto museum in Sacramento at one time had a batter powered delivery truck from the 1920s or 30s. It was basically a bunch of batteries wired up under the truck bed. I'd say the truck was a full ton, it was a good size.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In an email to employees Tuesday morning, the company said it would offer a voluntary separation program to non-union U.S. employees at the vice president level “and below in certain functions.”

"and below" goes no lower than Executive Vice President. The guy on the line just gets riffed.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
In an email to employees Tuesday morning, the company said it would offer a voluntary separation program to non-union U.S. employees at the vice president level “and below in certain functions.”

"and below" goes no lower than Executive Vice President.
I didn't see that in the article. To me, below VP means any non-union position below VP.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Middle managers. No way they can cut their way out of this mess. How about they reduce the cost of the trucks by 15-20k instead.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Local GM plant that builds trucks, is set to have start lay offs in september. Spoke to some guys who are working there. They have also for now stopped overtime too.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Middle managers. No way they can cut their way out of this mess. How about they reduce the cost of the trucks by 15-20k instead.
Wouldn't that be something? Find a full-size truck, basic truck to do basic truck stuff, for $35-38K. They'd sell their lots clean in a week. Instead, they seem content to keep the lots full, corner to corner, stock across the street from the lots, stuff parked at the Manager's house, FULL. And then say "we'll take $5k off MSRP if you buy today". L.O.L.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wouldn't that be something? Find a full-size truck, basic truck to do basic truck stuff, for $35-38K. They'd sell their lots clean in a week. Instead, they seem content to keep the lots full, corner to corner, stock across the street from the lots, stuff parked at the Manager's house, FULL. And then say "we'll take $5k off MSRP if you buy today". L.O.L.
Domestics have historically been a little thick of skull in the realm of being competitive in the market. I remember when GM was all high and mighty in the 70's... figured that they were too big to fail, and could build what THEY desired, and not in reaction to market demands.

Along came Toyota, Honda, Nissan and filled the void. The results crippled the Big 3. The low quality cars that the Big 3 put on the market to compete were total jokes. I realize that the Chrysler Corp. is under Italian ownership these days, but Americans still think of them as domestic. Americans don't want to be iconoclastic!

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Domestics have historically been a little thick of skull in the realm of being competitive in the market. I remember when GM was all high and mighty in the 70's... figured that they were too big to fail, and could build what THEY desired, and not in reaction to market demands.

Along came Toyota, Honda, Nissan and filled the void. The results crippled the Big 3. The low quality cars that the Big 3 put on the market to compete were total jokes. I realize that the Chrysler Corp. is under Italian ownership these days, but Americans still think of them as domestic. Americans don't want to be iconoclastic!
I posted this somewhere, but I wish Kalashnikov built trucks. Simple, solid, affordable trucks to do basic truck stuff. I hate looking at new vehicles because it's just a techy nerd show of "it does this and connects with that and you can order a pizza from your dash, talk to your mom on the moon in 4 languages, check the weather in a country you know nothing about, 32 zone climate control, 98 way power seats that can listen to your inner most thoughts about why you're sad". Can I put a sheet of plywood in the back? Oh, no, there's not enough room for that, and you might destroy the plastic bed if you tried to do so. Well, can I tow a 2500lb trailer? No. Not unless, oh, no, just no. Does it have a 2 speed transfer case, because I often go to places that need a Low range for climbing. What is a transfer case? What is Low range? "It's 4x4, kind of, open diff with a break-actuated anti-slip-ish kind of gear thingy". RANT.

How about a $30k 1/2 ton pickup. Modern fuel injected (not GDI GARBAGE), reliable 4 or 5 speed transmission (with a true manual option). True 4wheel drive with true locking hubs, something other than an open diff, option for a front locker, 2 speed transfer case, something with bumpers that can actually BUMP and not fall off/dent/cry like the cheap plastic they are, and a fender you can lean against that won't collapse in because it says "Pepsi" under the shiny paint, while you talk smack about the pavement princess grocery getters status seeker trucks going by that you know they are paying $1500/mo payments on and only driving one week a month because the other 3 weeks it's in the shop for recalls. Rubber floors, heat and A/C, power windows and locks, tilt and cruise. What a Silverado was YEARS ago. Cram all that UConnect, WeConnect, TheyConnect, Won'tUsuallyConnectTheFirstTimeConnect crap into a closet somewhere and leave it. Don't want it, don't need it. Alright...I'm good now. Carry on with the current crappy offerings. :)

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

People on forums say that a lot. They didn't buy them. People would say "I'd buy..." and you'd send them a link and they would go radio silent. Outside of fleet sales, they were dead inventory and a poor use of resources.

Examples of new basic F-150s:

Leftover '23s:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1bdeaf40-ace6-4d69-a8d8-ba52dc67c087/ for $28k

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/5a2e1c5f-2bbf-4aa4-bc1e-7be92a45a820/ for $29k

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/6a18175b-d3c2-4d12-ab1e-c81396461bc1/ for $29k

'24s:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/94339809-ad85-4f64-91e8-0a4e5bd1fb1f/ for $29k

There's over 1,000 F-150s brand new on dealer lots in the continental US right now for under $40k and they aren't flying off the lots. People want cheap, but they also want all the extras, despite the "well, I'd buy it"

If you really want a cheap reliable truck to do truck stuff:

$10k, row your own gears behind a 5.0.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I posted this somewhere, but I wish Kalashnikov built trucks. Simple, solid, affordable trucks to do basic truck stuff. I hate looking at new vehicles because it's just a techy nerd show of "it does this and connects with that and you can order a pizza from your dash, talk to your mom on the moon in 4 languages, check the weather in a country you know nothing about, 32 zone climate control, 98 way power seats that can listen to your inner most thoughts about why you're sad". Can I put a sheet of plywood in the back? Oh, no, there's not enough room for that, and you might destroy the plastic bed if you tried to do so. Well, can I tow a 2500lb trailer? No. Not unless, oh, no, just no. Does it have a 2 speed transfer case, because I often go to places that need a Low range for climbing. What is a transfer case? What is Low range? "It's 4x4, kind of, open diff with a break-actuated anti-slip-ish kind of gear thingy". RANT.

How about a $30k 1/2 ton pickup. Modern fuel injected (not GDI GARBAGE), reliable 4 or 5 speed transmission (with a true manual option). True 4wheel drive with true locking hubs, something other than an open diff, option for a front locker, 2 speed transfer case, something with bumpers that can actually BUMP and not fall off/dent/cry like the cheap plastic they are, and a fender you can lean against that won't collapse in because it says "Pepsi" under the shiny paint, while you talk smack about the pavement princess grocery getters status seeker trucks going by that you know they are paying $1500/mo payments on and only driving one week a month because the other 3 weeks it's in the shop for recalls. Rubber floors, heat and A/C, power windows and locks, tilt and cruise. What a Silverado was YEARS ago. Cram all that UConnect, WeConnect, TheyConnect, Won'tUsuallyConnectTheFirstTimeConnect crap into a closet somewhere and leave it. Don't want it, don't need it. Alright...I'm good now. Carry on with the current crappy offerings. :)
Except for the $30k and power windows and locks thing, I have that truck.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
People on forums say that a lot. They didn't buy them. People would say "I'd buy..." and you'd send them a link and they would go radio silent. Outside of fleet sales, they were dead inventory and a poor use of resources.

Examples of new basic F-150s:

Leftover '23s:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1bdeaf40-ace6-4d69-a8d8-ba52dc67c087/ for $28k

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/5a2e1c5f-2bbf-4aa4-bc1e-7be92a45a820/ for $29k

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/6a18175b-d3c2-4d12-ab1e-c81396461bc1/ for $29k

'24s:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/94339809-ad85-4f64-91e8-0a4e5bd1fb1f/ for $29k

There's over 1,000 F-150s brand new on dealer lots in the continental US right now for under $40k and they aren't flying off the lots. People want cheap, but they also want all the extras, despite the "well, I'd buy it"

If you really want a cheap reliable truck to do truck stuff:

$10k, row your own gears behind a 5.0.
I haven't searched for new, leftover inventory in several years. Didn't know there was such in this day and age. I bought my '18 and quit looking. The 86 F-150 sounds like a good option. That 5.0L wasn't a power house, but it got the job done, generally reliably too.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, the Silverado is th

Actually, Silverado was the high end package of options. The lowly Custom is what you refer to as having rubber floor mats, crank windows, old fashioned towing mirrors that required rolling down the window to adjust. A factory AM radio, 3 speed manual trans with the shifter on the column, no power steering, brakes or delay wipers. You know.... just a friggin truck!

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That'd be nice, but I think they'd lose a LOT of loyal customers if they did that. Trade in values would tank, ******* off a lot of their existing customers.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That'd be nice, but I think they'd lose a LOT of loyal customers if they did that. Trade in values would tank, ******* off a lot of their existing customers.
I agree, but I wonder what their customer demographic is currently and where is it trending?

If boomers and gen X are their demographic and they are not trending to younger buyers, then its all a mute point anyway as the rest of the boomers retire and quit buying new.

That leaves gen X as the bag holder and they'll start retiring in under 10 years.

If Ram wants to survive, they have to skew to a younger generation and that means offering cheaper, mid-sized trucks and second, to give those young buyers an affordable path to a full sized truck. Neither of which they currently have.

If that doesn't happen, I wonder if other markets, like South America will be enough to keep the brand going?

Big changes coming to many industries once all the boomers retire and they all try to compete for their legacy wealth, which I've heard is as much as 3 trillion.

Ram won't be one of them. Health Care will.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I have been keeping up with the financial news, Stellantis is really
having a bad time in the US. During covid they raised the price of
everything way too much, called it inflation. Now they won't discount things to clear them from the lots. Dealers are overful, even Jeep the wonder child is in the hurt. They cancelled the Charger and Challenger last year, and now the news is they may be bringing them back. The only thing Chrysler has is the van.
They are a European company of course, and now may drop Lancia
and Alfa Romeo, I know most on here will cry.
Stellantis is in a mell of a hess.
Two years ago the Ram was #2 in sales, now slipping badly.

I don't like it.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I read the article, its not looking good. CEO gets a $35 million bonus, 7 senior execs are out, Golden Parachutes I'm sure.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang, offering half of it's white collar workers buyouts. Yeah, I know not that many will takt it, but it sure doesn't sound good:
They changed out the entire service crew at our dealership thankfully. I think even the general manager is gone now.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well it didn't help dealers were marking things up during covid,really marking up the dodge cars.and let's be honest a ram has never held its value compared to the others even though its built 5 times better.the msrp on a 23 1500 2wd quad bighorn was 54k the trade in was 32k.more than the acv of 26k was.local dealer had it on the lot 11,000 miles for 36k.so i figure a msrp of 40 k was what this truck needed to be to stat with.