Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's Wonder Week here in South Central Pennsylvania!

I just mailed my 1st actual UOA ever. With 4,000 miles on P.U.P. 5w-20 and a 20-820 filter (and 109,750 miles on the odometer) I'm posting this now to keep track of the time it takes for shipping, receiving, testing, and posting the results.

And because of all the hype about it my Hemi will be getting Red Line 5w-30 mated with a Purolator Boss PBL24651 filter. Might have to wait 6-12 months for that particular UOA, we'll see.

It might also be interesting to see if we can make any determinations about my catch can. The Moroso was installed just 1800 miles ago but it still caught a couple ounces of yuk. The can will stay on for the duration with the Red Line. I'm fairly certain the greatest difference would be seen in before/after pics of the throttle body, and before/after pics of the combustion chamber, but I don't have a bore scope. As both oils have a great reputation here, I'm more interested in analyzing the engine wear than the oil, and 4,000 miles isn't much but should be enough to get an idea. My engine has no tick that I can hear, never has.

That's all we have for now but STAY TUNED! "Film at 11!" :cool:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

I just mailed my 1st actual UOA ever. With 4,000 miles on P.U.P. 5w-20 and a 20-820 filter (and 109,750 miles on the odometer) I'm posting this now to keep track of the time it takes for shipping, receiving, testing, and posting the results.

And because of all the hype about it my Hemi will be getting Red Line 5w-30 mated with a Purolator Boss PBL24651 filter. Might have to wait 6-12 months for that particular UOA, we'll see.

It might also be interesting to see if we can make any determinations about my catch can. The Moroso was installed just 1800 miles ago but it still caught a couple ounces of yuk. The can will stay on for the duration with the Red Line. I'm fairly certain the greatest difference would be seen in before/after pics of the throttle body, and before/after pics of the combustion chamber, but I don't have a bore scope. As both oils have a great reputation here, I'm more interested in analyzing the engine wear than the oil, and 4,000 miles isn't much but should be enough to get an idea. My engine has no tick that I can hear, never has.

Let us know if you can find Red Line 5W-30. Since announcing their move from California, the oil has gone MIA.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

My HEMI is currently performing super good on that oil/oil filter combo.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Let us know if you can find Red Line 5W-30. Since announcing their move from California, the oil has gone MIA.
Oh I've had it for a while now. Probably a couple months ago I bought a 6qt case and 2 more qts. Maybe Amazon? Yep, just checked, Amazon, April 17, 2024. All 8 qts was $124.57 before PA state taxes.

And with my driving in retirement it will take 6-12 months for me to put 5k on the clock. I've only done 4k miles since 12/19/2023, so 7 1/2 months? Even some of my "long highway trips" have barely been more miles than I used to commute when working. A typical day now is 2 9-mile round trips in a day. No hauling, no towing, no mountains, etc.

And some days I'll take the wife's car just to keep the battery charged.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My HEMI is currently performing super good on that oil/oil filter combo.
I've been paying attention.
You and others are the reason I went with Red Line 5w-30, and your posts about the PBL24651 along with a couple YT vids are the reason I wanted to try the PB filter even though I still have a couple 20-820 filters on the shelf.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

I just checked back at Summit Racing and got this result, idk.

It was available earlier, according to summit Racing's online store, now it isn't ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240731-175113.png
    Screenshot_20240731-175113.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 4

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I just checked back at Summit Racing and got this result, idk.

It was available earlier, according to summit Racing's online store, now it isn't ?

Well, Red Line 5w/30 is available everywhere online, but not at Summit Racing, lol.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Damn I'm confused.

More than usual, I mean.

My apologies for being misleading, I thought for sure and certain Summit Racing had Red Line 5w/30 in stock earlier today. It could have been the Euro blend that I had mistaken instead, idk.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My apologies for being misleading, I thought for sure and certain Summit Racing had Red Line 5w/30 in stock earlier today. It could have been the Euro blend that I had mistaken instead, idk.

Well you know me, I had to look as my stock is running down.
It IS available - in 12 qt case or 4 x 1 gallon jugs only.
This means they're back in production somewhere but will only fill lot size orders to start with.
Good news nonetheless.

TunaFresh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was looking back at some of the oil reports, and it is hard to say if Redline is any better than the other oils. I wish we could see engine internals instead of just small differences in wear numbers.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was looking back at some of the oil reports, and it is hard to say if Redline is any better than the other oils. I wish we could see engine internals instead of just small differences in wear numbers.
The true high performance oils are packed with anti wear and extreme pressure additives and base oils that both encourage good wear and are good at guarding again bad wear and also often react with metals such as copper in ion exchange characteristics. This info is in syn thread towards the beginning and throughout it. The bottom line these oils are often worse on uoa's then oils such as otc popular brands. High performance oils are for the extremes, they perform better in the extreme heat or cold or under pressure. In most cases high performance oils are not recommended for 95% of the engines out there.

BUT, as it turns out these AW/EP additives and base oils excel at killing hemi tick for whatever reason. I think this forum has a pretty good alternative as well, instead of paying the $$ for redline, you can save money and still get cam protection and also biotech is good at supplying those additives and base oils but keeping wear low when used with a good oil such as pup. Now people with hemi tick like myself, you can pry redline from my cold dead hand cause I ain't using nothing else, eventhough it isn't the best in wear numbers. The only caviet is in engines with hemi tick in many forms, some cold ticks, when redline quiets that engine, it does lower wear numbers as well. Tick is bad for wear numbers as well.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Tick leads to engine destruction. I can't believe MOPAR covered their design warranty a$$es by forcing their employees to lie to all customers ("it's normal!")
Man, I would have quit and blown the whistle.
Then again I might have vanished like the Boeing squealers.

Anyway, we had a protracted discussion how esters don't shear down much but don't lubricate as well either in sliding surfaces since they're polar branched molecules, where PAO is linear branched. But esters being polar are attracted to metals, so it seems to help.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just out of curiosity.. would the Euro blend be a bad thing?

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Here is Step #2 with my Blackstone UOA - Arrived!

...And now I wait. :popcorn:

Screenshot 2024-08-03 145253.png