Blend door information help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moist_oyster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2010 1500 Laramie with the dual zone climate control. My air has been blowing very weak pretty much since I got the truck back in 2020. I have been having issues with the blend door below the radio (not sure what number it is, I believe there's 4 blend doors in the air box). The blend door below the radio would sound like a machine gun for a few seconds after starting the truck and a couple months ago it finally stopped. Now my defrost won't work anymore.

I scanned for codes and got a B109E (panel mode door 2 control circuit open) and B1058 (recirculation door control circuit/performance) BCM codes. I took my fan out and verified that the recirculation/fresh door worked as it should. There were no blockages and the evaporator core looked good from what I could see. Turned the fan on while it was out and I was holding it and it made plenty of air. I asked a guy at work that used to work at a dodge dealership and he said its a bad blend door.

Is there anything else I should check before ripping the whole dash out for a blend door?
Since I'm sure there's no way around tearing out the dash and air box is there any preventative maintenance I should do while I'm in there (replace all blend doors/actuators or something along those lines)?
I'm assuming all the blend doors in the box are the same and I won't have to worry about different part numbers or anything.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nothing you can do that I know of, the issue is cheap plastic gearing in these doors, and the have a lifespan and it isnt long.

It could be worse, you could own a Toyota Highlander, a friend got a quote for 3500 to replace and that was a decade ago, lol..

OP
OP
M

moist_oyster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Nothing you can do that I know of, the issue is cheap plastic gearing in these doors, and the have a lifespan and it isnt long.

It could be worse, you could own a Toyota Highlander, a friend got a quote for 3500 to replace and that was a decade ago, lol..
That's what I was afraid of, should I replace all the blend doors while I have the box out or should I go with if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I see no downside in this case if it aint broke....

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you say "ripping the whole dash out...." I thought you could get at the actuator by removing the front center bezel, radio, climate controller, and lower section? If that's the one, it's not as bad as you think. It literally take 5 min to remove the radio...maybe another 10 to remove the rest. Or are you talking a different actuator?