Center console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRose9239

Reaction score
Ram Year
I took out the jumper seat and installed a center console that had the usb ports and AC plug in the back. The front ports work or but I can’t get the back to work. Is my truck not wired for those ports, do I need to wire something. I did buy an extender from infotainment to hook up the electrical that was on the jumper seat to the new console. I thought that would have been the fix

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
The rear USB ports are simply connected to 12v power. They are not connected to the USB input for the radio like the front ports. I would suggest you inspect the connector you added the extension to. I am guessing one of the Fused B+ connections is unpopulated.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-07-18 08-46-32.png
    Screenshot from 2024-07-18 08-46-32.png
    321.6 KB · Views: 3

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
The rear USB ports are simply connected to 12v power. They are not connected to the USB input for the radio like the front ports. I would suggest you inspect the connector you added the extension to. I am guessing one of the Fused B+ connections is unpopulated.
what converts the USB ports to 5 volts? isn't that what they are?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I took out the jumper seat and installed a center console that had the usb ports and AC plug in the back. The front ports work or but I can’t get the back to work. Is my truck not wired for those ports, do I need to wire something. I did buy an extender from infotainment to hook up the electrical that was on the jumper seat to the new console. I thought that would have been the fix
I put USB in the back of my center console a year or so back. I wanted the ability to use them no matter if the truck was running or not but also didn't just want them powered all the time either. I picked my 12v power source (that itself can be a whole other discussion!) and then ran +/- back to the rear of the console. Made some modifications to the back center portion at the rear of the console where the 12v cig lighter plug is at and put 2 USB receptacles with on/off buttons controlling a relay that powers the USB receptacles themselves. On/Off buttons as well as USB receptacles are all lighted when on so at a quick glance you can see if you left them on or not.

USB receptacles are 12v in, and provide standard USB 5v to whatever you're powering. Both USB receptacles I have are for fast charging, and one side is the STD USB ports while the other has USB-C and USB std port. Best part of how I did it is I cut into the black center console plate (where 12v OEM port is still at) in each bottom left/right bottom corners for a sleeve that the USB receptacles slide into. That way as tech changes, ports change, stops working/damaged, etc I can just pop out the USB receptacle (with plastic tool) and swap it out with another as std changes or stops working without completely pulling the whole back apart again. Already had to replace one due to it getting smashed/broken a month back which is why they are different now. I kinda like it so I can hook up more than one USB cable standard. When other one with just std USB needs replaced, I'll look for next level up on that one as well so will just keep upgrading as I go!

Hope this helps someone!