Clicking in the steering column when I turn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geawiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone else had this? It doesn't seem to affect anything at all. Everything works perfectly fine. It's just a minor annoyance I'd like to fix.

What happens? When I turn the wheel, even without the signals on, there is a click in the steering column. It sounds just like when the turn signal turns off, but it happens all the time.

wrench78

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First I have ever heard of this. I would guess that your clock spring maybe starting to go bad. Just a shot in the dark.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L ecodiesel v6
Front wheel drive cars are known for this.
Look at the rubber boots on your front Axles. They eventually dry and crack, then the dirt gets in. Hence, the clicking.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Front wheel drive cars are known for this.
Look at the rubber boots on your front Axles. They eventually dry and crack, then the dirt gets in. Hence, the clicking.

Yea. When it comes to the steering column, that thing is like a stethoscope. Sound travels up it and things from under the hood sound like they are happening right behind the steering wheel.

I thought my clock spring was going bad due to a rubbing sound from the steering wheel/column junction area. I had a new clock spring in my cart @ moparpartsgiant.com, had spend a few hours watching videos and was all set to make it happen.

I just happened to spot the torn boot on my electric power steering rack while showing a coworker what a tie rod is. I pulled the torn spot and looked inside and it was full of mud, water and rust.

When I had someone turn the steering wheel left/right while I crawled under to listen, it was obvious that the noise was from the EPS rack/pinion.

But from inside, while sitting in the truck, I was 100% certain that the sound was coming from the steering column.

Of course, replacing the rack/pinion fixed the noise.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the flex coupling (Ujoint) that joins the column to the EPS rack the noise may be coming from there.

OP
OP
G

Geawiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some excellent replies here, thank you all. A couple things:

This has been going on for at least 40k+ miles

I just replaced my CV axles. They went bad about 10k miles ago and I replaced them then as well. They were sized into the knuckles and I just replaced my entire suspension, front and back except for the tie rod ends, and put on the Billstein 2/4 drop kit. I had to cut the damned driver side lower control arm off! Still did it on my couple test drive on a track with proper equipment and stuff that cops totally would be ok with (she handled like butter and I'd suggest this kit to anyone that would like a drop or leveling. The drop isn't actually as bad as I thought, and I'm not generally a fan of drops or slammed/super dropped vehicles. I can't even remotely see anything that this drop will hamper for anything I'd ever do. Even if I take her to the local ORV park again. I can provide some tips for anyone that wants them and wants to do this kit.)

I'll look at the clock spring (thanks for the suggestion Wrench)
I'll look into the flex coupling as well (thanks Dodge)

If those solve it I'll update on here for anyone else searching that has the issue. It'll probably be a while though. I've got severe body wide small fiber neuropathy and this pissed my nervous system off badly.