Collision damage and frame replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FuzzyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was rear ended the other day in my 2015 1500 with 9,400 on the odometer. I had a tri-ball mount in the hitch at the time. Other car was probably doing 40.

State Farm appraiser was here and wrote an estimate for $16,200. He said book is $40,100 and they won't total it. I really want to keep it. Best truck I ever had and still drives perfect. Majority of frame damage is where hitch was attached.

Here's my concern... I want the frame swap done at my dealer. The two body shops local to me in New Jersey that are highly rated don't sound to confident. I have an extended warranty that I don't want issues with down the road. Can I demand only a Ram dealer do the swap? Since her insurance will ultimately pay, am I in the driver's seat? I also plan to file a claim for diminished value. The bed also needs replaced. Luckily it wasn't pushed into the cab.

Looking for suggestions and those with past experience. Thanks.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When my girlfriend got into a car accident she told the people's insurance she is only taking it through dealership because she trust them over other shops. Now in reality she did it to stick it to the person by going to most expensive person in reality, but they allowed her.

Curious was shops you talking about in jersey? I'm from south jersey and been contemplating some body shops to do paint work here and there on truck and curious to see who ya didn't like.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Mi you take it where you want. It's illegal for an insurance company to tell you who to take it to.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In Mi you take it where you want. It's illegal for an insurance company to tell you who to take it to.

I think its the same in CA and for sure in MD.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same in South jersey as well. I had some minor work done on my truck on the passenger side at collision max. It was good enough for me, although it took longer than estimated.

When it comes to the frame, I'm with you on this in regards to the dealer. I wouldn't take it anywhere else...espe5if it's brand new.

Truck name: Rampage

OP
OP
F

FuzzyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dealer hooked me up with Active Auto Body in Bordentown. I really liked the owner who does all his own work. He is the one who said let Baker Jeep in Princeton do the frame swap. Baker Jeep use to have a collision department which recently closed and Active Auto took their remaining work.

I just want to make sure I can demand where the frame gets done. I feel pretty confident I this truck will be 100% with a new frame correctly installed.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
you can take it where ever you want after the insurance company cuts you a check.

You will only get what the adjuster says. Of course you can try getting more out of it, but goodluck with that.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When my girlfriend got into a car accident she told the people's insurance she is only taking it through dealership because she trust them over other shops. Now in reality she did it to stick it to the person by going to most expensive person in reality, but they allowed her.

Curious was shops you talking about in jersey? I'm from south jersey and been contemplating some body shops to do paint work here and there on truck and curious to see who ya didn't like.

I just got my truck back this week from the damage done by a jealous ford, http://www.ramforum.com/f41/dang_fords-82136/. Had the work done by Action Auto Body in Hammonton. They had great reviews and treated me right.

OP
OP
F

FuzzyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to research this a little before I decide since my truck is still driveable.....

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
That is a lot of work for a frame replacement. Would bug the living crap out of me as I know it would never be the same as factory built as you will be lucky if they torque half the stuff properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlcE9KiFmHk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Would not worry about it, at all.
Nothing more than simple parts swap over.

Would much rather have new frame than a straighten one.
COuld care less what an adjuster says. Tkae it to your shop, of choice. Let them decide where teh frame work gets down, as a SUbcontration to your original Bill, from your shop of choice.

Would not deal with any insurance people. other than your own. They could care less what you do, since they know they will get every penny back, from the at fault parties insurance company.

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No fender covers.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

OP
OP
F

FuzzyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would not worry about it, at all.
Nothing more than simple parts swap over.

Would much rather have new frame than a straighten one.
COuld care less what an adjuster says. Tkae it to your shop, of choice. Let them decide where teh frame work gets down, as a SUbcontration to your original Bill, from your shop of choice.

Would not deal with any insurance people. other than your own. They could care less what you do, since they know they will get every penny back, from the at fault parties insurance company.
I had so many people in the business say it is a simple parts swap and I agree. As long as a Chrysler dealer does it, I feel confident. I'll let you guys know what happens. I know it won't be soon. [emoji57]

OP
OP
F

FuzzyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update. I chose Rob's Collision in Bristol, PA. I was impressed from day 1. My frame came in and they are painting it. My new bed is in... which was a plus because the adjuster wanted it repaired. Still looking at 2-3 weeks in a rental. Rob's said the repair cost is now at about $21,000. And her adjuster wrote me a check for @$9, 000 which I laughed at before I sent it back to them.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rob's is awesome, well known in that area....BADASS drag cars he has to....and I know the secret spot :)

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Just an update. I chose Rob's Collision in Bristol, PA. I was impressed from day 1. My frame came in and they are painting it. My new bed is in... which was a plus because the adjuster wanted it repaired. Still looking at 2-3 weeks in a rental. Rob's said the repair cost is now at about $21,000. And her adjuster wrote me a check for @$9, 000 which I laughed at before I sent it back to them.

Good call on laughing at the $9k offer. Adjusters are just doing their jobs but... yeah. After my 2013 was attacked by a semi truck that decided red lights were for pansies (side swiped my front end @ a little over 40 MPH), the other party's adjuster tried to low ball me. Ended up being totaled out, repair would have been a little over double of what he stated. I'd always read and been told to never accept the adjuster's estimates, and now I know why.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All states are different. Contact your state's insurance commissioner. Sometimes they can be quite helpful, some offer no help.

Appraisers are not always accurate either. Often, other damage shows up during the teardown that brings up the price. They can't ignore this.

Have your dealers collision center also write up an estimate. Submit that to your claim rep.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

danny

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
FuzzyOne, have you started working on the diminished value of your truck with the insurance company yet? My 2014 Ram is in the shop now with what was $2800 in rear damage until yesterday when they found out the frame is bent. So I'm waiting on the new estimate with a frame replacement. I've talk with 2 new car dealers(one a Ram dealer) and both told me that they did not want my truck with a frame replacement. Both dealers said they would hit me with such a low offer on my truck that its no way I would take it. The Ram dealer said it would be greater than a 50% off of retail value. It looks like you are a little further along in this process than I am so any info/advise you have to offer would be greatly appreciated!