Crankshaft position sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gbart2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently replaced EGR valve due to random misfires code. This solved that issue. I replaced the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensors only bc they’ve never been replaced. Then my engine cranked for several seconds before starting. Then started right up the next time. Then over the next 2 days would intermittently crank for several seconds before starting. I had already thrown the old (original) sensor away. Replaced the new cps with another new cps. Same problem. Replaced both the camshaft and crankshaft sensors with new from another manufacturer. Same problem.
No codes are being thrown.
Can anyone offer and ideas?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Use only OEM sensors , aftermarket does not always work well with our trucks .

Gemeni06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter Flex Fuel V8
I have a 2013 RAM 1500 Tradesman with 42,637 current miles. At 14,101 miles I experienced no start and stalling. My local mechanic is about six miles away. I called him and asked if I would damage anything on the truck "trying" to drive it to his shop. He said it should be OK. I had a steep hill to go up first but managed to make it. Fortunately, the rest of the drive was more or less downhill and I coasted most of the way. I live in the Northern Adirondacks and not much traffic out here in the sticks. Got it to the mechanic and he found the following problems: P0300 code-Random Multiple Cylinder Misfires. P0339 code- Crankshaft Position Sensor Intermittent. P0335 code- Crankshaft Position Sensor Malfunction. He replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor and fixed the problem. I don't know if he used an OEM sensor or not. But I would follow Daw14's advise and only use OEM sensors. But I would expand it to do the same on "all" vehicles you own. I had a problem (in addition to many other emission control problems) with my 2003 Jeep Wrangler. The problem was cause by an aftermarket sensor (don't remember which) my local mechanic used. Took it to the dealer and the OEM sensor fixed the problem. The dealer even explained why the OEM sensor worked and why the aftermarket sensor didn't.

OP
OP
G

Gbart2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use only OEM sensors , aftermarket does not always work well with our trucks .
Thanks for the advice. Ordered an oem sensor today. I’ll change it Wednesday and post the results.

OP
OP
G

Gbart2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the crankshaft position sensor with an OEM sensor. Same problem occurring. Engine cranks for several seconds before starting