DANGEROUS EPS OUTAGE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is 10 years old but has only 60k on it. I took care of it like a baby and it has not a dirt under the truck. Out of blue, the power steering went out and my wife almost had an accident. Luckily, she was just coming out the grocery store parking lot so it was slow speed. I checked all the electrical connections down to the module connectors. Everything checks out. Battery and fuses are all OK. There is no error code - my OBDII is just simple one. I have been searching a possible solution all day long but to no vail. Most of them say this is most likely the whole unit problem but some says to check out the belt inside before resorting to the dealer and serve them close to $4000 with parts and labor. I would really appreciate anyone's input on this. And I also want the awareness of this issue because this is so dangerous. NHTSA has ongoing investigation open action on this (#RQ23003). Thanks.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is 10 years old but has only 60k on it. I took care of it like a baby and it has not a dirt under the truck. Out of blue, the power steering went out and my wife almost had an accident. Luckily, she was just coming out the grocery store parking lot so it was slow speed. I checked all the electrical connections down to the module connectors. Everything checks out. Battery and fuses are all OK. There is no error code - my OBDII is just simple one. I have been searching a possible solution all day long but to no vail. Most of them say this is most likely the whole unit problem but some says to check out the belt inside before resorting to the dealer and serve them close to $4000 with parts and labor. I would really appreciate anyone's input on this. And I also want the awareness of this issue because this is so dangerous. NHTSA has ongoing investigation open action on this (#RQ23003). Thanks.

Hopefully someone with intimate knowledge of this will respond as I have not encountered this issue with my 2018. I’ve read several posts on this forum from members who have experienced this issue. I do recall the recommendation to check the belt, wiring for corrosion and something about a circuit board with bad solder joints.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read through these posts allot of good information, first thing to check is all the connections at the EPS rack, the drive belt inside the rack and battery connections.

OP
OP
B

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, Atcer2018. I am gonna uncover right side rod to look inside for belt and keep you posted. They say that if you have intermittent outage, it is likely the electronics issue. But otherwise, it could be the belt. It will be another 112F outside tomorrow. Maybe it is the damn Arizona heat that is causing all this problem.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're DIY-Heavy....

1) Remove the square cover on the back and remove/inspect the circuit board. Some of them have had wires on the board come off, or corrode. Or there could be other heat-related damage of the circuit board.

2) The cover on the Rt side comes off and there's a belt inside there which can slip/break. Not too difficult to replace. There are some videos on Y/T.

3) It's always possible the electric motor failed too...or the wires to the motor went bad.

If you're not into that level of DIY, probably have to order a new one. You might end up doing that anyway..most guys haven't had repair success. Supposedly they've been improved.

OP
OP
B

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are the best Jeepwalker! Will keep you posted of progress. In the mean time, please let others beware of this issue because my family really had a scare moment. You could imagine what could have happened if we were in high winding moutain road in Colorado where we vacationed two weeks ago. Looking back, I am so glad that I did not take this truck for that trip!

OP
OP
B

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not the belt, bummer ! Inside of belt and gear assembly look like new. That makes me even more angry after taking care of this damn car so clean!

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, Atcer2018. I am gonna uncover right side rod to look inside for belt and keep you posted. They say that if you have intermittent outage, it is likely the electronics issue. But otherwise, it could be the belt. It will be another 112F outside tomorrow. Maybe it is the damn Arizona heat that is causing all this problem.
I freaking hate the Phoenix heat. Been having to do a lot of work on my truck lately and doing it when it's 110+ is awful. Laying on my driveway feels like I'm going to burn myself haha

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You are the best Jeepwalker! Will keep you posted of progress. In the mean time, please let others beware of this issue because my family really had a scare moment. You could imagine what could have happened if we were in high winding moutain road in Colorado where we vacationed two weeks ago. Looking back, I am so glad that I did not take this truck for that trip!
You'll still have manual steering,even if it loses power to the rack,or the belt breaks.

OP
OP
B

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks wild one, but wouldn't that twist U joint or strip the whole steering column? I just finished checking what I can and the result is not promising. It is definately not the belt and every mechanical parts look like new inside. However, the EPS module is open circuit. It is dead. There is no way to open this thing. I do not have penta security bit. Any ideas? or Have I missed something? Very frustrated and I like to check everything before I take it to dealer since I know what they gonna say after charging me diag $200 plus $150 towing.

OP
OP
B

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BTW, If you have driven the mountain highways up at 10000ft, you will know what I am talking about. It is extremely hard to turn this thing at low speed let alone at the switchbacks that you have to turn 180 degree and 7% downn hill? You will kill yourself doing that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks wild one, but wouldn't that twist U joint or strip the whole steering column? I just finished checking what I can and the result is not promising. It is definately not the belt and every mechanical parts look like new inside. However, the EPS module is open circuit. It is dead. There is no way to open this thing. I do not have penta security bit. Any ideas? or Have I missed something? Very frustrated and I like to check everything before I take it to dealer since I know what they gonna say after charging me diag $200 plus $150 towing.
I'm guessing you're younger and never grew up back when alot of vehicles were manual steering,lol. No you won't break / strip the column,by law the vehicle has to be steer-able if it loses power steering.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
BTW, If you have driven the mountain highways up at 10000ft, you will know what I am talking about. It is extremely hard to turn this thing at low speed let alone at the switchbacks that you have to turn 180 degree and 7% downn hill? You will kill yourself doing that.

Not sure how to fix your issue. But I do agree with @Wild one , you must be very young.

Old days you manual steering/brakes, stick shift, coffee in one hand, smoking with other hand was normal.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not sure how to fix your issue. But I do agree with @Wild one , you must be very young.

Old days you manual steering/brakes, stick shift, coffee in one hand, smoking with other hand was normal.
Manual steering / manual drum brakes and 3 on the tree / no A/C, and vinyl seats that'd cook you to death in the summer,and shrivel your nuts into your stomach in the winter, the good ole days,not so sure i miss them though :Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

OP
OP
B

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Members beware that there is NHTSA open investigation RQ23003 on this matter. The middle 5 digit of part number on my EPS module is 23003. I don't know if it is the same for all years. So you know that it could happen to anyone. I do not wish this happen to anyone while you need to maneuver in precarious situations. FYI, I got my licence back in 1975 and I learned how to drive with manual steering and tranny.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Members beware that there is NHTSA open investigation RQ23003 on this matter. The middle 5 digit of part number on my EPS module is 23003. I don't know if it is the same for all years. So you know that it could happen to anyone. I do not wish this happen to anyone while you need to maneuver in precarious situations. FYI, I got my licence back in 1975 and I learned how to drive with manual steering and tranny.
Then you should know the steering column isn't going to break because you lost power steering.

OP
OP
B

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was just concerned that continuously forcing steering might furthur damage and end up replacing the whole column too. The steering shaft and U joint seem a lot skinnier than the old ones.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was just concerned that continuously forcing steering might furthur damage and end up replacing the whole column too. The steering shaft and U joint seem a lot skinnier than the old ones.
I'll put it to you this way,if you pulled the shaft and u-joint out,and clamped them in a vise,how big a cresent or pipe wrench do you think you'd need before you could twist the shaft or break the u-joint. Even if you're on the end of a 36" cresent or pipe wrench,you're gonna have one hell'va time hurting either one,lol.