Dash cam recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello all,

Was on I-295 going around Jax the other day. Was in the left lane going around a car-carrier rig.

Apparently 77 mph-ish wasn't fast enough for the douche-bag behind me, so he proceeded to ride my ass, and as soon as I got clear enough to move over, he proceeds to whip around me on the right, cut back in front of me and brake-check me. Hard.

So much so that the rig saw what was happening and backed off. I knew he was going to keep checking me, so I called upon the ponies in my hemi and went around him, went ahead, and tucked myself in front of another rig in the right lane and behind a pickup truck, who saw what was happening and slowed just a bit to tighten the gap between us.

Mr. Douche-bag did not like that I was going around him, and proceeded to accelerate (or try to). So, as he came alongside me after I had tucked myself in the right lane, he did a swerve toward me and took off.

So, I have decided to invest in a dual dash cam.

I would like to not spend more than say $300, if possible, and would like to get the most resolution possible.

What says you?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello all,

Was on I-295 going around Jax the other day. Was in the left lane going around a car-carrier rig.

Apparently 77 mph-ish wasn't fast enough for the douche-bag behind me, so he proceeded to ride my ass, and as soon as I got clear enough to move over, he proceeds to whip around me on the right, cut back in front of me and brake-check me. Hard.

So much so that the rig saw what was happening and backed off. I knew he was going to keep checking me, so I called upon the ponies in my hemi and went around him, went ahead, and tucked myself in front of another rig in the right lane and behind a pickup truck, who saw what was happening and slowed just a bit to tighten the gap between us.

Mr. Douche-bag did not like that I was going around him, and proceeded to accelerate (or try to). So, as he came alongside me after I had tucked myself in the right lane, he did a swerve toward me and took off.

So, I have decided to invest in a dual dash cam.

I would like to not spend more than say $300, if possible, and would like to get the most resolution possible.

What says you?
I had a Blackvue DR650GW 2CH that lasted 6 years of nonstop 24/7 recording before the front CMOS sensor went bad. It still runs but the front camera video is pink and green. I'm pretty satisfied considering it lasted this long being parked outside in direct sunlight for most of that time.

The DR 750X would be comparable but it runs about $370 new. The 590 series can be had for $240 though. On amazon you can find open box returns with considerable discounts too. If you want two channel, you must buy 2 channel from the get go on many of the models as the 1 channel versions don't have the rear camera port.

I just bought the 900x Plus from BlackboxMyCar.com . I used promo code Vortex20 for 20% off. It was cheaper than Amazon, no tax and two day shipping from Canada (though that may no longer be the case unless it comes by air!). That code may work site wide on dashcams reviewed by youtuber Vortex Radar.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I have the Blackvue also an older model, DR550 2ch, works great. But I bought my son a Thinkware FA200 off amazon which works very well and is about half the price

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Spend a few more and get the Blackvue DX750X-2ch, it has the top-of-the-line 1080p Sony image sensor and records at 30 fps. Also, get the polarizing filter for the camera to do away with windshield reflections. For a good quality sd-card that can take the constant abuse, use the Samsung Select 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I U3.

From what I understand, you are better off with 1080p and 30 fps than the 4k systems with lower frame rates.

There is an excellent thread including installation pictures and suggestions on the 5thgenrams dot com site. Search for Best Dash Cam in the 5th gen forum. This site won't let put in a direct link.

I just put this system in my 2022 Longhorn. There is a way to get 10%, it is documented in the thread.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Spend a few more and get the Blackvue DX750X-2ch, it has the top-of-the-line 1080p Sony image sensor and records at 30 fps. Also, get the polarizing filter for the camera to do away with windshield reflections. For a good quality sd-card that can take the constant abuse, use the Samsung Select 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I U3.

From what I understand, you are better off with 1080p and 30 fps than the 4k systems with lower frame rates.

There is an excellent thread including installation pictures and suggestions on the 5thgenrams dot com site. Search for Best Dash Cam in the 5th gen forum. This site won't let put in a direct link.

I just put this system in my 2022 Longhorn. There is a way to get 10%, it is documented in the thread.
I think the Vortex20 promo code will work on the 750x too which should put it right at his budget. I was going to get the 750 myself but upped to the 900 since my 650 lasted so long. My truck will be garage kept now so I'm thinking longevity and improved design will lengthen the service life.

Last edited: