Dealer cost on replacing spark plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
IIRC I paid the dealer about $800 parts/labor. I probably would have done it myself but was trying to keep my Maxcare warranty intact and hassle-free. Glad I did, too as the engine failed at 120K and was replaced without question. And yes, I know I'm allowed to do my own work and keep the warranty intact but it sure makes it easy when literally the only people to ever touch the truck are dealers.

KPMH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are correct. I've bought mine from RockAuto without issue. Advance Auto, AutoZone, and other local parts stores also usually have them in stock for about $12 each if you want 'em quicker.
Thanks

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
IIRC I paid the dealer about $800 parts/labor. I probably would have done it myself but was trying to keep my Maxcare warranty intact and hassle-free. Glad I did, too as the engine failed at 120K and was replaced without question. And yes, I know I'm allowed to do my own work and keep the warranty intact but it sure makes it easy when literally the only people to ever touch the truck are dealers.
Cause of engine failure? Seems like these things are hit or miss

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As I said good 100k plug cost you 22 to 29 each. So delear price is within norm. You can by cheaper plugs.
And again, you can get them much cheaper ...under $10 if you dont buy from the dealer. I found NGK iridium plugs for $7 & change each you just have to search.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Cause of engine failure? Seems like these things are hit or miss

It's hard to say... I started to get a misfire code (flashing CEL) and took it in. They replaced the coil pack on the #3 cylinder and it didn't fix it so they tore into it a bit and found some metal shavings in a filter that told them something. Apparently, a bearing of some type had failed and was shooting metal through the engine. I was also getting an occasional/faint rattling noise similar to engine knock but it was probably the bearing. The service manager said he'd been there for +/- ten years and had only seen this a handful of times and never before with a 6.4 Hemi. Roughly a $13K job if I had been paying for it. The $2300 warranty I bought almost ten years ago has definitely paid for itself.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
It's hard to say... I started to get a misfire code (flashing CEL) and took it in. They replaced the coil pack on the #3 cylinder and it didn't fix it so they tore into it a bit and found some metal shavings in a filter that told them something. Apparently, a bearing of some type had failed and was shooting metal through the engine. I was also getting an occasional/faint rattling noise similar to engine knock but it was probably the bearing. The service manager said he'd been there for +/- ten years and had only seen this a handful of times and never before with a 6.4 Hemi. Roughly a $13K job if I had been paying for it. The $2300 warranty I bought almost ten years ago has definitely paid for itself.
13 grand I think I would ditch the truck at that point it was well paid off and got the use out of it!

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I purchased NGK Ruthenium HX spark plugs from Rock Auto and just had them installed.
Great plugs and my engine runs smooth.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
And again, you can get them much cheaper ...under $10 if you dont buy from the dealer. I found NGK iridium plugs for $7 & change each you just have to search.
Hopefully you didn't buy them off Ebay or Amazon,they're famous for having the cheap Chinese knock off plugs that aren't actually legit NGK's. If you got them for under 10 bucks a plug,which is way cheaper then anywhere else,i'd lay odds you've been taken for a ride

Last edited:

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And again, you can get them much cheaper ...under $10 if you dont buy from the dealer. I found NKG iridium plugs for $7 & change each you just have to search.

Hopefully you didn't buy them off Ebay or Amazon,they're famous for having the cheap Chinese knock off plugs that aren't actually legit NGK's. If you got them for under 10 bucks a plug,which is way cheaper then anywhere else,i'd lay odds you've been taken for a ride

Auto parts websites. Rockauto and parts stores around my area.

I believe mine came stock with Champion plugs and replaced with the same. You can get those for $10 per plug.

I'm not looking for any. I just was mentioning not to buy things like that from the dealer. You will get fleeced.
I have actually never bought spark plugs online, I go to the autoparts store. But Rockauto usually has pretty good prices on most things.

DCunited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey I just did this yesterday....here is my story. Just hit 100k and went to the dealership to get an idea of what I was in for. I've built jeeps in my younger days, those days are over (i'm 54) so I was looking to have them do it. Spark switch alone was a grand. I'm not sure who said $300-500 bucks, but they wanted close to $300 just for the plugs. Any way I got the gearwrench, unpacked my old craftsman 3/8 pushbutton release and a bunch of extensions and went at it. It took me around 3 hours start to finish with alot of cursing, three pairs of neoprene gloves and a 6 pack of ipas as the carrot. The "wobbler" saved a ton of time and energy. I'm not sure how you could do this without it. Those who said one hour are full of it. There is no way you could do it in an hour unless you do it every day. Passenger side was easy except for the last one, but even that wasn't that bad. Driver side sucked. The brake drum wasn't the problem, I had a stiff wiring harness in the way on the last two. It took patience, but I got through it. I chewed up my hands on the passenger side gromets for the wiring harness. I would remove it or tape the crap out of it. On another note....as part of my 100k work, I got the top of the line thermostat. I snapped bolt number two right off without even pushing on it! Ugh Happy fathers day to me. I ran to harbor freight (sigh) and got a set of left handed drill bits($8.49). It took three minutes to remove the bolt......2.5 minutes to drink liquid courage and 30 seconds to drill enough that it came free. Note: I sprayed PB 3 times before I did it. I had a hell of a time removing what was left of the old thermostat gasket with several razor blades but finally it all synced up and I got the air out. Honestly it puurs like brand new and temps seems fine. Tach in the below one at idle and I can feel the quick start. My old plugs were rough, brown and corroded. I went with NGK iridiums from amazon, they were all gapped at .43 and not fake. My neighbor got fakes. NOT GOOD. All in all it cost $131.00 plus $2.95 in bandaids. Would I do it again? Yes. If a 54 year 6'4 260 lb guy can crawl around in a ram bay....so can you. I was gonna do the tranny fluid (transmission fluid) haha. But I need jack stands and all that- it makes sense to see if a local transmission shop can drop it for me? Dealer wants $8-900 I will revisit the coolant as on a sunday no mapar crap was available, I used the orange crap from autozone to get up and running. Thoughts on that?

Last edited:

The1KcDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
Hey,

I just replaced my orignal spark plugs at 150,000km on my 2015 Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi.

I purchased 16 NGK Laser Iridium IX plugs from Amazon for $205.96 CAD taxes included and it took me about 2.5 hours at my leisure to change them myself.

It's a very easy task provided you have swivels and extensions.

I hope this helps!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey,

I just replaced my orignal spark plugs at 150,000km on my 2015 Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi.

I purchased 16 NGK Laser Iridium IX plugs from Amazon for $205.96 CAD taxes included and it took me about 2.5 hours at my leisure to change them myself.

It's a very easy task provided you have swivels and extensions.

I hope this helps!
If it starts running funny shortly,check and make sure you actually have legit NGK plugs.Amazon and Ebay are famous for selling Chinese knock off plugs,and NGK are one of the most common plugs that are Chinese knock-offs.If the plugs you buy off Amazon or Ebay are noticably cheaper then anywhere else,odds are they're not legit plugs

Last edited:

The1KcDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
Yeah, I was warned about knock-offs but these ones are legit from a reputable seller.

They were also on sale with free shipping hence getting them for such a great price.

Thanks for the concern.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, I was warned about knock-offs but these ones are legit from a reputable seller.

They were also on sale with free shipping hence getting them for such a great price.

Thanks for the concern.
I'd question how he can be selling them that much cheaper then anybody else,even if he's legit.That's all i'm saying.The video's will give you a good idea of what to look for to determine if they're actually legit plugs.You can easily phone NGK and check with them to,if you do suspect the plugs,not to be legit NGK's.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If it starts running funny shortly,check and make sure you actually have legit NGK plugs.Amazon and Ebay are famous for selling Chinese knock off plugs,and NGK are one of the most common plugs that are Chinese knock-offs.If the plugs you buy off Amazon or Ebay are noticably cheaper then anywhere else,odds are they're not legit plugs

Agreed!

I very recently had NGK Ruthenium HX plugs installed and noticed an immediate improvement in responsiveness and smoothness in my engine.

I purchased from Rock Auto and saved huge. These plugs in Ontario Canada are stupid expensive per plug, and we need 16 of them..ffs!!! lol ;)

Rock Auto had them for $11.50 USD per plug. Even with exchange and shipping I saved huge dollars.

I also did a TB off thorough cleaning, too, and replaced the PCV valve at the same time.
Big improvement, and a happy HEMI!

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So did anyone re-use their coil boots or order new ones? And if you ordered new ones, which ones. I am looking in RockAuto and there a few different brands including the NGK. I am due to do this job soon. I am at 99K miles on my 2016.