Dealer installed new oil pan gasket on 2013 ram 3.6 v6 . Now my oil dipstick is dry eventhough full of oil . Dealer says i need new dipstick and tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John force

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
2013 ram 3.6 v6 . Dealer installed new oil pan gasket and new oil . Dipstick is dry and dealer wants to install a new dipstick and tube for $ 175 . Crazy . What is the length of a dipstick . Did they stick in a shorter one ?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2013 ram 3.6 v6 . Dealer installed new oil pan gasket and new oil . Dipstick is dry and dealer wants to install a new dipstick and tube for $ 175 . Crazy . What is the length of a dipstick . Did they stick in a shorter one ?
How do you know it's full of oil,if there's nothing on the dipstick.If it was my truck,i think i'd be pulling the drain plug,and seeing if they actually put the proper amount of oil back in

OP
OP
J

John force

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
Drove it back to dealer and they did another oil change to make sure . Still not reading .

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Drove it back to dealer and they did another oil change to make sure . Still not reading .
Did you actually watch them do the change? Why not do yourself a favour and double check their work,as they'd have had push the dipstick tube completely out of the engine,for it to not at least show some oil on the tip of it.Better to waste a few bucks on some oil to double check their work,and give yourself some piece of mind,then to constantly worry about it.If you pour the proper amount back in,and it still doesn't show on the dipstick,then i'd be going back to that dealer looking for explanations. My owners manual says the 3.6 takes 6 quarts,so go buy 6 quarts of oil ,drain the oil in the pan,and pour in the 6 quarts and see if it reads on the dipstick.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer needs to practice some ****. Sounds like they put in somebody else's dipstick. Standby. Will measure mine on 3.6 and post.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would be taking a good look at the dipstick tube. Maybe it was removed from the block for some reason (I do not know why that would even be done) and it was never reinstalled (forgive me for thinking it, just how my brain works sometimes).

I always tell people I know that if you have your oil changed somewhere, before you leave, check it. I have heard of those who never had fresh oil put in, and lost an engine becausr of it. It only takes a minute or less to check it.

aepowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe the dipstick tube has to come out to remove the pan with it in the truck. They might not have got the tube seated.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe the dipstick tube has to come out to remove the pan with it in the truck. They might not have got the tube seated.
The tube has two points of attachment. One is a bolt location towards the top and the other is the physical tube inserted inside the block. Not sure how they'd screw that up. Bolted up top and not in at the bottom would have a dipstick slapping the side of the block. Should be easy to see. Not bolted in, but inserted into the block would be easy to figure out as the tube would be flopping all around and be discernable when trying to check the oil level. If they screwed that up, I'd be concerned that the oil pan wasn't re-installed properly.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Same pan would have same depth, etc. Either they frigged up the install or they damaged yours and jammed the wrong one in there. For them to say you need a new tube and stick for the same pan makes no sense, other than getting you to pay for their screwup.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OP joined last Tuesday and hasn't been back since ,kind of makes you wonder doesn't it.