Does a bad lifter mean a total engine rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Can you see the lifter, unless the roller just came off and sometimes then as well, it usually means cam and lifters, not a total rebuild. Wouldn't hurt to price out cam.lifter job versus new rebuilt engine with warranty to help you decide. Do you have a mis fire code as well? Then very likely cam/lifters.

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I had one lifter roller bearing go bad at 243,000 miles so I replaced cam, lifters, all the timing gears, chain, guides and oil pump and doing fine 12,000 miles later. It's my work truck so expecting it to last still a long time. Well till I retire in 2 years 7 months and 23 days, not that I'm counting!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does a bad lifter on a 2015 5.7 Hemi mean a total engine rebuild?
Not necessarily. If gotten to quickly enough, the metal will be caught in the upper end by mesh filter. That spares the bottom end. The repairs done early enough last a good long time, typically. With your mileage, I'd just replace the engine, though.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had one lifter roller bearing go bad at 243,000 miles so I replaced cam, lifters, all the timing gears, chain, guides and oil pump and doing fine 12,000 miles later. It's my work truck so expecting it to last still a long time. Well till I retire in 2 years 7 months and 23 days, not that I'm counting!

I know the feeling.

2 years 1 months and 4 days to go myself!

OP
OP
J

jrajsky01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, thank you all, for your responses.
Next question: Does anyone know the least expensive place (near San Antonio) to have this done? My wife and I are disabled, (tho my wife is just starting a new job) and are living on my SS.