Door-Window Rain Guards - Outside or In Channel ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I am looking at getting a set of door-window rain guards-deflectors and I can't make up my mind to get the outside the channel or inside channel ones?
On my former trucks I have always had the outside ones.........but! I was never much impressed with them for wind and rain deflection.... so are the inside the channel better cause they are closer to the open window than the outside ones ?
My motto: Buy it once so you don't have to buy it again

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I am looking at getting a set of door-window rain guards-deflectors and I can't make up my mind to get the outside the channel or inside channel ones?
On my former trucks I have always had the outside ones.........but! I was never much impressed with them for wind and rain deflection.... so are the inside the channel better cause they are closer to the open window than the outside ones ?
My motto: Buy it once so you don't have to buy it again

It’s not even a question. Inside. Clean, and better fitment.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For longevity I'd go with in channel. I've never seen a vehicle driving around with an in channel style missing but I've seen plenty of vehicles with the outside attaching ones missing. Might be a colder climate thing? I don't know. I know people have accidentally removed one with an ice scraper.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In channel all the way. I had outside stick on type on my 2018 for three years and noticed one was broken. Couldn’t buy just one so decided to replace all four. What a dang mess trying to get the old ones off! Never again.

jason1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I couldn't be happier with the in channel Wethertech. Got them from a local AutoZone. Make sure to get the right ones for your truck. Year, style, cab style, etc.

I was looking at AVS which I got for the hood ,bug deflector II, but I didn't like that the in chanel AVS didn't go all the way down for the front windows and still used sticky tape.

The weather tech in chanel fit my 2021 classic quad cab perfectly. I did have the auto up front windows go back down a couple times at first but I held the manual up for several seconds then made sure to leave them up for a couple days and since then the auto up works perfectly.

I primarily got the side window deflectors to be able to crack open my windows while at work and not worry about random afternoon rain showers that happen often.

With my husky thick sunshade on the front window, tinted fronts to match the back, and cracking open my windows it's actually bearable to climb into my truck on 100F+ days and quicker to get cooled down. And the rain hasn't gotten in yet.

OP
OP
T

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thank You
In the channel are better - I never used them before
That's why I joined this group I want the best

jason1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is the first time I've had them and don't know why I didn't do it decades ago.

zrock

Reaction score
I have used both and to me a do not notice any difference in them and the look of the stick on ones does not bother me. I have had a inchannel one get lost on a previous veh years ago not sure how it came out or if someone needed it more than i did and stole it..

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I've had both as well.

Esthetically, in my opinion, the stick on outside ones just don't compliment the look as well as the in-channel ones.

As for brand of in-channel; WeatherTech is what I'd recommend and what I use for my truck.

They fit perfectly, don't bind the glass up with the power windows, and they go full front window opening, too.
Having that nice down piece on the fronts is great in rain, especially heavy rain.

My $0.02 on installation is to do it when its warm outside, and once you have them installed, leave all the windows up for a couple of days if possible so they seat well into place.

Attachments

• 20240614_155411.jpg
    20240614_155411.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240614_155330.jpg
    20240614_155330.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 7

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the in channel on all of my trucks. Look better than the outside ones.

OP
OP
T

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I ordered the inside the channel rain vent guards + I ordered mud flaps, step bars, bed floor mat, hard tonneau cover, got it undercoated. It's a used 2021 Classic Warlock with ZERO options bare bones truck with only 7000 miles even the exhaust looks new, underbody super clean