Engine Long crank issue when warm restart 5.7L - No Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schnydz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Digging up an old thread, hoping for a fix. I recently purchased a 2007 1500 5.7 2wd with about 133000 miles on it and it does this same thing. Starts perfect cold, but extended crank when warm. But always starts. Did anyone figure out a fix for it?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Digging up an old thread, hoping for a fix. I recently purchased a 2007 1500 5.7 2wd with about 133000 miles on it and it does this same thing. Starts perfect cold, but extended crank when warm. But always starts. Did anyone figure out a fix for it?

There can be several things that can cause your issue. Pretty much all of them have been discussed in this thread. What have you done so far?

schnydz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
There can be several things that can cause your issue. Pretty much all of them have been discussed in this thread. What have you done so far?

I read through the whole thread. Since it's intermittent it's a tough nut to crack. All tests come back normal. All regular maintenance items done. Truck runs perfect. Just hot restart issue. I didn't see where LumberJakl or 2010RamBigHorn posted if they found a fix. I was hoping one or both of them were still here and maybe found the fix for their trucks. Maybe it would be the same on mine. I also didn't want to go down a rabbit hole and fire the parts cannon at my truck. I did just find a thread shortly after posting on this one that he replaced the coolant temp sensor. I'll take a look at that tomorrow hopefully.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I read through the whole thread. Since it's intermittent it's a tough nut to crack. All tests come back normal. All regular maintenance items done. Truck runs perfect. Just hot restart issue. I didn't see where LumberJakl or 2010RamBigHorn posted if they found a fix. I was hoping one or both of them were still here and maybe found the fix for their trucks. Maybe it would be the same on mine. I also didn't want to go down a rabbit hole and fire the parts cannon at my truck. I did just find a thread shortly after posting on this one that he replaced the coolant temp sensor. I'll take a look at that tomorrow hopefully.

Ok, so I’m guessing you’ve done a fuel pressure test, leak down test and ruled out the evap purge solenoid? Leaking injectors and faulty purge solenoid are the most common failures for an extended long crank.

When the issue happens if you put the pedal to the floor does it start?

OP
OP
LumberJakl

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L 4X4
I have never found a fix. I have changed every known part that can be changed but still haven't resolved it. (Starter, multiple fuel pumps, coil packs, fuel injectors during lifter fix, etc...)

I've gotten rid of the Hemi and picked up a cummins a month ago

schnydz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ok, so I’m guessing you’ve done a fuel pressure test, leak down test and ruled out the evap purge solenoid? Leaking injectors and faulty purge solenoid are the most common failures for an extended long crank.

When the issue happens if you put the pedal to the floor does it start?
Yep. I've only had the truck a few weeks and I do keep forgetting to try the foot to the floor trick. By the time I think about, I'm already cranking and it's taking longer than normal and then I think, 'shoot! I forgot again' lol. I don't drive it everyday so I forget. I just need to find time to work on it again and dig deeper. Probably won't get to it for a few days now.
I have never found a fix. I have changed every known part that can be changed but still haven't resolved it. (Starter, multiple fuel pumps, coil packs, fuel injectors during lifter fix, etc...)

I've gotten rid of the Hemi and picked up a cummins a month ago
that's one way to fix it permanently, replace it lol

Thanks for the responses! Yeah, I just didn't want to throw parts at it. I'll let you guys know if I find something.

S

Slinge

Maybe try Key on....Key off....Key to start.
That would run fuel pump twice before trying to start.

arturoglez16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,
I wanted to check any updates while Im leaving my case details here. 2017 ram 1500 hemi. My case is kind of diff, it cranks multiple times before starting up (cold start). After that it starts right await. I did change the fuel pump twice (good point here: I did it twice because on the first time I placed a new one for the 32 gal tank and mine is 26 gal). I ended up putting the Delphi FG1439 but still the same issue.
Other things I did:
- I cleaned the throttle body which was a little bit dirty.
- I installed the bypass fuse.
- I cleaned the intake air sense with some spray for it.
NOTHING GOOD SO FAR
*** frustration is taking over me

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
To really diagnose it, you’re going to need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it when it’s acting up.