Engine Rebuild Stage 2 CAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProjectR3NTAL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi tick got me. Engine started losing power and stalling out on the road, connected my OBD and was getting code P0303 (Misfire Cyl 3), first step to try and solve it was switch out ignition coil and spark plugs for that Cylinder. That didn’t work lol from there we did a compression test and it wasn’t giving smack. It ends up being a broken lifter, with part of it on the bottom so we are going to have to take out the cam and the heads.

Now to the good part! I have been wanting add a cam to get a nice chop chop on my truck lol any recommendations on a good one. Engine is stock and the cam would be the first modification to it.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Look to either MMX or FRP for a complete cam and lifter upgrade package.
You'll want the HP Tuner set up and a great tune as well.
Either of these outfits are top notch.

Call them to review their options and select the package that suits your build wants and budget.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi tick got me. Engine started losing power and stalling out on the road, connected my OBD and was getting code P0303 (Misfire Cyl 3), first step to try and solve it was switch out ignition coil and spark plugs for that Cylinder. That didn’t work lol from there we did a compression test and it wasn’t giving smack. It ends up being a broken lifter, with part of it on the bottom so we are going to have to take out the cam and the heads.

Now to the good part! I have been wanting add a cam to get a nice chop chop on my truck lol any recommendations on a good one. Engine is stock and the cam would be the first modification to it.
Ditto CanuckRam1313's advice. Contact your favorite Cam maker and discuss a hotter setup that keeps you legal, and incurs the least amount of re-programming.

JamesFG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles are on truck? My 5.7 is ticking, has 137k

JamesFG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang, that stinks. I got a quote for replacing cam n lifters for $5300. That seems awfully high.

JamesFG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah! What do you think is a fair price to have cam n lifters installed? It's not something I can do myself and I'm weighing options

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah! What do you think is a fair price to have cam n lifters installed? It's not something I can do myself and I'm weighing options
It's a subjective opinion based upon different experiences and influences from locker room chatter, discussions at Sunday School, Uncle Jack's opinion, and so forth. The true value of a major, internal repair to a high mileage engine such as indicated here isn't very good.

That being said, it's throwing good money after bad, in order to jump over a dollar to save a dime, when an entire new or reman engine is clearly indicated by all things mechanical.

In conclusion, the amount of such an invasive repair is a huge chunk of what an entire engine costs. THAT begets considerations such as the vehicle's worth to the owner and the condition and problems regarding other issues with the truck. The MARKET value is a figment of Madison Avenue and financial voodoo. My very old, high mileage vehicles are worth FAR, FAR more to me than NADA or KBB guides. I've replaced and repaired things to the degree of dwarfing their "so-called" values, and wound up with fully functional, dependable vehicles that are PAID FOR. Why? Because Madison Avenue and other social beattitudes don't sway me to go into heavy debt just to smell a new car or admire it's glitz for a while, and paying WAY past the zero sum factor set by the very folks who run Madison Avenue and the high finance of the world.

If it were my truck, I'd replace the engine, radiator, mounts, thermostat, water pump, belt, hoses spark plugs, and have THE most singularly expensive repair to a car behind me, and enjoy the car for another 10+ years.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Dang, that stinks. I got a quote for replacing cam n lifters for $5300. That seems awfully high.
That's in the ballpark,maybe on the high end of the scale,but not by much.There's enough video's out now on doing a cam swap,anybody can do it,and what you save,will buy any tools you don't have to do the job.
Read through Kurtis's thread a few times,watch some video's,and you should be able to handle it yourself,if not then you're on the hook to pay whatever a shop charges you,and on a cam swap,a cheap shop is not the way to go

OP
OP
P

ProjectR3NTAL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went with a MMX NSR NTN, hellcat lifters and gasket kit. Got quoted $3500 for all, that includes labor
Trying to decide if I should add some shorty headers already or not

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Went with a MMX NSR NTN, hellcat lifters and gasket kit. Got quoted $3500 for all, that includes labor
Trying to decide if I should add some shorty headers already or not
Shorties are a waste of money,either go long tubes or keep the stock manifolds. You want long tubes to generate torque on a truck. Headers act the same as your intake,the long runners in the intake are for torque,same as you want long tubes to generate off idle torque,and they also out pull shorties all the way up the rpm band

Prestonguillory14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI

I’ve honestly been wanting to do one and the one I’ve been looking at is the TSP 5.7 low lift cam. It’s not too much and gives and nice chop and also a 35hp increase with a custom tune ofc but if you do a cam your gonna have to have some type of tune.

OP
OP
P

ProjectR3NTAL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve honestly been wanting to do one and the one I’ve been looking at is the TSP 5.7 low lift cam. It’s not too much and gives and nice chop and also a 35hp increase with a custom tune ofc but if you do a cam your gonna have to have some type of tune.
MMX has a no tune required cam and I’ve seen videos on it and it has a nice chop, ofc you can always tune it to make it meaner which tbh once I add headers I’ll tune it

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
MMX has a no tune required cam and I’ve seen videos on it and it has a nice chop, ofc you can always tune it to make it meaner which tbh once I add headers I’ll tune it
If you're going to bite the bullet now, then bite it once and put the long tube headers on and have it tuned by MMX all in one shot.

And if their "no tune cam" can be bumped to their next cam upgrade that requires a tune, perhaps now would be the time to capitalize on it, too?

A good cam with LT's and a good tune will net all the benefits your original post indicated you're looking for.

You'll save labour costs and time being out of your truck doing it all in one shot.

My $0.02, fwiw.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
It's a subjective opinion based upon different experiences and influences from locker room chatter, discussions at Sunday School, Uncle Jack's opinion, and so forth. The true value of a major, internal repair to a high mileage engine such as indicated here isn't very good.

That being said, it's throwing good money after bad, in order to jump over a dollar to save a dime, when an entire new or reman engine is clearly indicated by all things mechanical.

In conclusion, the amount of such an invasive repair is a huge chunk of what an entire engine costs. THAT begets considerations such as the vehicle's worth to the owner and the condition and problems regarding other issues with the truck. The MARKET value is a figment of Madison Avenue and financial voodoo. My very old, high mileage vehicles are worth FAR, FAR more to me than NADA or KBB guides. I've replaced and repaired things to the degree of dwarfing their "so-called" values, and wound up with fully functional, dependable vehicles that are PAID FOR. Why? Because Madison Avenue and other social beattitudes don't sway me to go into heavy debt just to smell a new car or admire it's glitz for a while, and paying WAY past the zero sum factor set by the very folks who run Madison Avenue and the high finance of the world.

If it were my truck, I'd replace the engine, radiator, mounts, thermostat, water pump, belt, hoses spark plugs, and have THE most singularly expensive repair to a car behind me, and enjoy the car for another 10+ years.
This is exactly what I would do. My 2009 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi is still in great condition inside and out. The 5.7 runs strong and quiet. However, at 163,000+ miles, if the cam/lifters went out, I would not even consider replacing them...it would be time for a quality rebuilt 5.7.

JamesFG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for responses. This truck is worth way more to me than what any book says. It's a regular cab short bed which isn't made anymore, and my favorite style. At 137 k I'm thinking it's worth new cam n lifters and will buy me time for getting another engine or seeing about rebuild when the time comes

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
O'Reilly's auto parts here in Houston carries a brand of rebuilt engine called "PowerTorque". I have replaced 2 GM v-8 engines in very recent years using this product line. Both enjoy a 4 year/ unlimited mileage warranty. On the most recent engine, and others, I'm told, their warranty is complete replacement. That is huge to me (A professional Auto Technician) because my experience in the past with other engine rebuilders, they are past masters at dilatory tactics. This means phone calls, an inspector who orders a tear down, more delays, and huge frustration out of the hapless car owner (for good reasons!)

PowerTorque might be sold by other vendors. I will tell you that there are several pieces that I INSIST on being OE only. This would be exhaust gaskets for both the cylinder head surface, but also the donuts. Factory thermostat ONLY, ditto for a radiator pressure cap. Factory spark plugs and factory water pump, too.

I have been very pleasantly surprised as to how competitive their prices are as well.

One tip that I share.... I bought a universal fuel pump and make up fittings for these engines and pump about 2 quarts of oil into the engine through the port for the oil pressure switch, directly from the oil jug. This is done after I've completed pre-installation of outer parts, just prior to installation. This practice eliminates almost entirely, noisy lifters, cavitation of the crucial oil passages (think main bearings, rod and cam bearings, rocker arms, etc.... and a fully precharged oil filter.

Check into it. You might just be very pleasantly surprised!

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck im having my shop to do stainless works headers and duals for my 5.7 they did a great job on the blower.I don’t have the tick and know what a HCI job can cost today since I just did my LS7.

JamesFG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate the recommendations, will look into them