Extended warranty now or after 3yr 36k?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadrunner255

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

I'd like to get folks thoughts on what you have done, purchasing a maxcare plan now or after the 3 yr 36k factory warranty.

Ziegler is looking affordable with their discount.

Thanks

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
It depends, how long do you keep your vehicles, and are you easy on things ? Tell us about that, and it is easier to give advice.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
To get an Extended Warranty, you MUST buy it before the
3 yr 36k factory warranty, whichever expires first, comes up

Just Informational,
Some, maybe all dealerships, will try to sell you an Extended Warranty of their own, if you try to beat them down in price.
Those extended warranties have nothing to with MOPAR.
Check your paperwork, before you sign.

I was lucky, they sold me an Extended Warranty that is called a 3rd Party extended warranty, on my old 2009 Dodge Ram.
Luckily, it only broke down locally.
If i had been on the East Coast, when it broke down, i would have been paying out of pocket, with No reimbursement.

I suggest that for your MOPAR Extended Warranty ..
Look at Ziegler & Granger Motors, a vendor on this site
They seem to be competing with each other for lowest prices on Extended Warranties from MOPAR

Good Luck

OP
OP
R

roadrunner255

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It depends, how long do you keep your vehicles, and are you easy on things ? Tell us about that, and it is easier to give advice.
I plan on keeping it until I can no longer maintain it with low mileage.
Unless we sell our rv and purchase a tt down the road.
My 2002 bb chevy only has 67k, original owner and garage kept , is in mint condition (in the process of selling it).

Will look into granger as well before prices go up 7/1

Wheel and tire option a value?

Not seeing what that covers.

Thanks

Last edited:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Benefits to buying it now:
1st day car rental coverage
Cheaper to buy now, vs pricing increases over the next few years
Factory warranty does not cover wheels/tires, you can add that with extended

Disadvantages:
If you sell or total the truck in the next couple years you'll only recover 50% of warranty.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have always bought one when I purchased the vehicle new. I did let one expire and to buy it again I had to have a inspection done. I bought it over the phone with mopar they sent someone out took a test drive with them and all good. I would not bother with wheel and tire protection. I will see if I can renew or get a new plan after mine expires at 75k miles which should be in dec.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just bought one for my 23 from Grainger. I wanted to buy it while the mileage was low and it was less than a year old. It was all handled over their website efficiently.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just recently bought a USED Vehicle Extended Warranty

I purchased the 2016 Ram when it was new.
I bought the Extended Warranty at the same time that i did the Original Paperwork.

Just before my original extended warranty expired, i got an Inspection & bought the USED Vehicle Extended Warranty.
For info, my Ram is 8 years old & had 60,000 Miles on it.
The new extended warranty is good for another 5 years, or another 60,000 miles

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They used to be less expensive if you got it with the truck under a year old . After that the price was a few hundred more , same coverage .

brian42

Military
Reaction score
If you are going to get one...get it now.

The cheapest it will be is in the first year/12K miles. There is a price bump at 12K miles and another at 24K miles if you wait to purchase.

The NEW vehicle ESP (Mopar MaxCare extended warranty service plan) is retro-active to the day the truck was first purchased from the dealership (in-service date) and overlaps your basic warranty.

The USED vehicle ESP (still Mopar MaxCare) starts the day you purchase the policy.

That seems like it would make sense to wait to purchase since you have 3 years overlapping...but it isn't. You can run the quotes but if you wait until 3 years and 1 day you will pay more for the 4 year used plan than you will for the 7 year new plan.

I read you are looking at Zeigler so it is a factory Mopar MaxCare plan. That is the only one you should consider IMO.
Benefits to buying it now:
1st day car rental coverage
Cheaper to buy now, vs pricing increases over the next few years
Factory warranty does not cover wheels/tires, you can add that with extended

Disadvantages:
If you sell or total the truck in the next couple years you'll only recover 50% of warranty.
First day rental coverage is a relative term. That's the first day they approve the repair (not when you drop it off unless you want to sit in the waiting room until they give you the thumbs up). I learned that the hard way and dropped my truck off for work with no ride home thinking I was going to get a car to drive. You can rent a car but the day you drop it off is out of your wallet if you don't wait for their blessing. $40 is not a huge deal but if you rent a car and don't wait around but if they don't look at the truck for a week before approving the work then the rental fees are going to start racking up. You only get a maximum of $175 to rent a car for (up to) 5 days and any taxi usage. You can't rent someone's Yugo for 2 weeks and you can't rent a Land Rover for 5 days and expect Mopar to pick up the tab. After taxes and fees $175 doesn't get you very far unless you are scooting around in a Chevy Spark.

True that it is cheaper now. Even without the price bumps prices increase over time regardless. There is also usually a price bump during the summer. If prices spike wait a couple of months and the price will settle down back closer to before the spike.

Wheels/tires and paint are separate policies that you can buy. Most wear items expire after the first year/12K miles so you need a separate policy if you are looking for any coverage that isn't your insurance company or your wallet.

If you sell the truck you get a pro-rated refund. That is based on calendar and not on payout. I had a 7 year MaxCare ESP for my truck and sold it one month shy of 4 years. The work I had done more than payed for the ESP but I was refunded the remaining 3 years I did not use (minus the cancellation fee).

1719601801466.png

Also of note is if your truck gets totaled and there is a lienholder then the policy defaults to the lienholder and you are not eligible for any refund.

When I cancelled mine I called Zeigler who I got the ESP through vice going to a local dealership. Process was easy and I had a check in less than a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roadrunner255

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the maximum care plans for example at ziegler start after the factory 3y/36m or 5y plans or do they fiil the gaps of the factory standard plans?
Thanks

zrock

Reaction score
buy it now as things may change in 3 year.. Like said above read your paperwork as they tried to sell me a extended warranty on my used truck and when i started asking question's it only covered a max of $1500 per visit. I asked them what that was suppose to do as you cannot get anything done for $1500 and i would pay way more than that into the warranty.