extra key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2014 Ram 1500. It came with the key fob with the emergency door key inside. It also came with a regular looking key. I looked in the owners manual and searched online, but can't find the purpose for this key. I thought is was an emergency ignition key. If it is, how to use it is a well kept secret. I know I can always ask the dealer(and should have)

Vapiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500. It came with the key fob with the emergency door key inside. It also came with a regular looking key. I looked in the owners manual and searched online, but can't find the purpose for this key. I thought is was an emergency ignition key. If it is, how to use it is a well kept secret. I know I can always ask the dealer(and should have)

Have you tried sticking the key in the key hole and turning?

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Try the tailgate.

The key in the fob use to be for the doors and glovebox. Just incase the battery died in it.

They have changed a few things in the last year or 2... so I might be wrong.

OP
OP
B

Blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Vapiper, what key hole are you referring to? The door or tailgate. I thought the key in the fob worked for those. Or is there a way for it to go in the ignition. The owners manual does not mention this key at all.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is it a chip key? If not it wont start your truck. Show a picture. I had a key made that will start truck and open tailgate, it is the chip key in case Fob fails me.

9459765187_eb1efe6e2a_c.jpg

B Red Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

The "emergency key" inside the fob is cut the same as the "regular looking key". They're just spares. Use them on the drivers door handle or tailgate. Only the fob can be put into the ignition to start the truck.

I cut the rubber grip off of one and put it in my wallet. That way I can leave the fob in the ignition w/ all my other keys and truck running while still being able to get back in the truck after locking it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The extra key works in the door handles and the tailgate if the battery dies in your fob.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So there is no difference between the key inside the FOB and the spare key on the keyring? For some reason I thought the spare key would start the truck if the FOB battery was dead.

So, if the battery dies in the FOB, all we can do is open the door and sit there?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know I can get all my stuff out before I call a cab.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Or unlock the tailgate... and sit there.

hahaahah

That does kinda suck though.

So if that happens, we would have to pay a million dollars for a new key at the dealership? Hopefully they would be open is this ever happens.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
If you have the older style fob as pictured above, it'll start with the fob. Even if the batteries dead.

The extra key is to get in, unlock the glove box for the owner manual..... and sit on the tailgate.

Old style fob and push start? Pop the button off at the bottom and insert fob.

New style that doesn't have the chip in the end? Just hold it close to the push button. The new push buttons don't pop off.

I'll have to find that thread again.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if this is true or not...... My salesperson told me the key fob is used to remotely lock and unlock the truck (and remote start if equipped). If the key fob battery goes dead, use the spare key in the fob to get into the truck. The fob will still start the truck.

As I was typing "Heywood" stated the same thing above.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if this is true or not...... My salesperson told me the key fob is used to remotely lock and unlock the truck (and remote start if equipped). If the key fob battery goes dead, use the spare key in the fob to get into the truck. The fob will still start the truck.

As I was typing "Heywood" stated the same thing above.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

This was my understanding how it worked.

ramsport27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated, even if the fob won't unlock the truck it will still work to start the truck. You don't need a battery in the fob to insert into the ignition slot and turn. ;)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
As stated, even if the fob won't unlock the truck it will still work to start the truck.

I think it is a good idea for anyone who does a lot of outside adventures to carry an extra fob or have a key made like myself. It is a fact that it is better to be safe then sorry.:cheers:

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it is a good idea for anyone who does a lot of outside adventures to carry an extra fob or have a key made like myself. It is a fact that it is better to be safe then sorry.:cheers:

Perhaps... but then we wouldn't have stories to laugh at. :D

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine

I only had 1 key and fob when I bought my truck (used). Part of the sale was a 2nd set. Cost the dealership $275 for the fob and $100 for the programing. (CDN)

Extra key's a good idea... or use the emergency key and lock the fob up in the truck.

I also have the Direct Smart Start system in my truck, so I can use my phone if need to get in. Heck... I can use any ones phone.... as long as you have reception...lol

Karl523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 QC Express
Key Fob

The battery in the key is only for the door locks. If the battery is dead it will still start the truck. I know this because i had a problem with one of my fobs, it would not lock/unlock the truck but it would still start. I changed the battery and the locks still would not work. Took it to a local dealer and they did nothing to help me, after a few days the fob started working again.