factory aluminum wheels & spare tire carrier.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I agree, i live in Montana, if you can't do it yourself its not gonna get done, however they got it up there somehow, I'll bet they would not have sold it without a way to use it. I don't think Ram is that incompetent. This is on a 4th Gen 2024 Warlock.
I agree with RD,i think i'd be making sure you can get it out from under the truck before one of them O-$h!t moments hits,lol

OP
OP
O

osprey ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
09 1500 4x4
Engine
4.7 lit.
Hey , thanks to Bigskyroadglide, for taking pics ! The carrier block at the end of cable is narrower than the one on my 09. It would be nice if dodge would service just that part, but I Will bet you have to buy the complete assy. I am doing to research that!

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
As already stated - the factory spare has a larger diameter hole to accommodate the carrier winch assembly. The factory "running" wheels (aluminum wheels) do not. If you get a flat, you're either leaving your aluminum wheel in the ditch, putting it in your back seat, or in the bed. **** poor planning from Mopar in my opinion. I guess the engineers just assume people aren't using their truck beds and will have space for a flat. Chop up the carrier if you're so inclined. I personally wouldn't do it. Several people have rigged up various gizmos to circumvent this size difference, but as often as it would realistically be a problem, I'm not dinking with it. I did opt to toss the factory spare and put a 20" steel spare with a real full-sized tire on it. If I need a spare on a truck, I need a real tire, not some Mickey Mouse BS size mismatched "temporary use only" low tread POS.
I did the same time right after I got a flat on my brand new truck with just 1100 miles on it. Middle of nowhere, gravel roads, no cell phone coverage for at least 35 miles, towing a horse trailer. Only to find out the “full size “ spare was a POS with literally no tread. Miraculously made it out.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the same time right after I got a flat on my brand new truck with just 1100 miles on it. Middle of nowhere, gravel roads, no cell phone coverage for at least 35 miles, towing a horse trailer. Only to find out the “full size “ spare was a POS with literally no tread. Miraculously made it out.
Been down a similar road. That's why this truck got a full-sized spare with a real tire. I tried for 2 months to get rid of the temp spare on MarketPlace and Craigs. Nobody would take it. It got rehomed to the recycling center at the landfill. Some say it was re-tired (I can hear somebody flipping me off for that).

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If i can find it, you can get together with a Welder & design a Swing Out Spare Tire Carrier.
You can drop one end & swing it out, for easier access.

At one time Ford put one on their pickups.
I had one on my 1956 Chevy Pickup, it was great unless you were axle deep in something.
With mine, one end dropped just enough to pull the tire out past the rear bumper, after it was extended.
I could not find the pix :(

1966 Ford w/ '77 Ford Spare tire carrier, it has minor modifications

1722395120158.png

1722395194013.png

1722395258879.png

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
video of the spare tire carrier in above post

It'd be nice if the idiot engineers who design these things would have to go out and get a flat, 200 miles from home, and then use their designed flaw. They'd quickly figure out that there is a better way. I remember seeing that style of carrier years back on trucks. Not any more. Some quack made a better widget, or so they think.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I loved the swing out spare tire carrier on my 1956 Chevy truck,
but i had extension bars on it.
The extension type bars, can be found under trailers & RVs, but they just pull straight out, unlike the '70 Ford pickups.

Before long, our pickups will not have a spare, & possibly no Jack.
They will have Fix-a-Flat Kits & a small compressor

Without a spare tire, they will be able to increase Pay Load

Remember back in the 2011 model Ram, they changed from the AAM to the ZF rear differential, the ZF was pounds Lighter.
Electric steering, 6 cylinder, vs V8
all lighter

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If i can find it, you can get together with a Welder & design a Swing Out Spare Tire Carrier.
You can drop one end & swing it out, for easier access.

At one time Ford put one on their pickups.
I had one on my 1956 Chevy Pickup, it was great unless you were axle deep in something.
With mine, one end dropped just enough to pull the tire out past the rear bumper, after it was extended.
I could not find the pix :(

1966 Ford w/ '77 Ford Spare tire carrier, it has minor modifications

View attachment 547659

View attachment 547660

View attachment 547662
My old 77 Ford shortbox had that spare tire carrier. I never thought of it till now,but it could probably be adapted to a late model Ram,if you can find one.
Just had another thought,you could probably fab up something similiar using 2"X 3" rectangular 0.110 wall tubing,and some 1/2" or 5/8" ready rod

Last edited: