Factory led taillight appearance change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not too fond of these led taillights with chrome accent so it got me thinking!
Its the cloudy plastic on the edges that just dont match and show up even more on a dark color.
Im thinking one can just use white or black silicone and fill the outer channel. I've stuck a piece of paper and electrical tape to show how this edge can change color.
Im thinking i can do white which to me looks better then the cloudy plastic.
What ya think?!?

IMG_20190831_083603.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That actually looks pretty good! I have the same gripe with the same lights and same body color.

Might be better off taping off and painting that plastic to make it more permanent.. Not sure how the tape would hold up to heat and UV. Since it's behind the plastic painting shouldn't be too complicated (no need for perfect finish or clear coat)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah i like it white on a white truck, black for all other colors. I figure white silicone should be the best, fills the void much better then trying to get paint in there and wipes off easy enough where ya dont want it.
Take your taillight off and you will get a better idea of that channel b4 the factory seal.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Tape up the red lenses scuff the edges with 600-800 grit sandpaper. Clean it with paint prep and hit it with an adhesion promoter spray. Than paint it body color. Anything else you try with silicone will not hold up and become more of a problem down the road

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not too fond of these led taillights with chrome accent so it got me thinking!
Its the cloudy plastic on the edges that just dont match and show up even more on a dark color.
Im thinking one can just use white or black silicone and fill the outer channel. I've stuck a piece of paper and electrical tape to show how this edge can change color.
Im thinking i can do white which to me looks better then the cloudy plastic.
What ya think?!?

View attachment 178369
what do you do when you have to change a lamp that went out ,like the reverse lamp.

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tape up the red lenses scuff the edges with 600-800 grit sandpaper. Clean it with paint prep and hit it with an adhesion promoter spray. Than paint it body color. Anything else you try with silicone will not hold up and become more of a problem down the road

Its only filling the back edge, like painting the back of a clear bug shield. Not sure how the silicone wouldnt hold up being applied to a void.
Could use this stuff too!
IMG_20190831_124859.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might try some of the possibilities.

Personally I think you could get away with just brushing on paint. Tape off the chrome part then just "fill in" with white paint on a brush. The fact its behind plastic means you wont see brush marks (unless they are REALLY bad), you dont need to clearcoat it, etc.

And then you can choose whatever paint you want to use, to make sure its UV stable (Im not sure about flex seal). Krylon Fusion works on plastic but I think its spray can only. Spray is another option too, you just need to mask off more.

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I might try some of the possibilities.

Personally I think you could get away with just brushing on paint. Tape off the chrome part then just "fill in" with white paint on a brush. The fact its behind plastic means you wont see brush marks (unless they are REALLY bad), you dont need to clearcoat it, etc.

And then you can choose whatever paint you want to use, to make sure its UV stable (Im not sure about flex seal). Krylon Fusion works on plastic but I think its spray can only. Spray is another option too, you just need to mask off more.

You dont even have to tape off the chrome part as thats behind the factory seal.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I would worry about silicone yellowing with UV exposure. Not sure if that is a valid concern or not.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would worry about silicone yellowing with UV exposure. Not sure if that is a valid concern or not.

Same here. And the same worry for Plastidip if anyone tries.

Krylon Fusion is supposed to be UV stable, they make a satin Bright White color, so I might pick up a can and try it.

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Valid point, i didnt even think of white silicone turning yellow. I figure its protected as it would be facing the inside of the bed. Not sure spray paint would get all the way into this channel.
Ill have to look into it more.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Valid point, i didnt even think of white silicone turning yellow. I figure its protected as it would be facing the inside of the bed. Not sure spray paint would get all the way into this channel.
Ill have to look into it more.

I have to take mine off again to look but I figured as long as you get white paint behind the clear plastic, it would still at least look better, if not match the body completely.

Alexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A buddy of mine had the nd wrapped then with clear red vinly wrapbba46ba31154a51dddc487e2ae906268.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just went out and pulled one of my taillights, @Cableman I see what you are saying now....the gray plastic "backing" is in the way of getting paint into the channel.

I wonder if you can bake taillights to open them like you can headlights?

I suppose another alternative might be a syringe (with needle attached) to "drip" paint into the channel, assuming the channel is sealed so the paint doesnt run into the red portion of the lens.

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My white silicone on back windows hasn't yellowed one bit since april and it sees alot of sun.
IMG_20190902_153314.jpg

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anyone have experience with protuninglab tail lights? Came across a new set of leds on letgo that look like the ram sports tails.
Screenshot_20190919-104705~2.png

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have experience with protuninglab tail lights? Came across a new set of leds on letgo that look like the ram sports tails.
View attachment 180695

make sure they are for trucks with OEM LED tails or they wont work, most are made for the other halogen style tails.

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
make sure they are for trucks with OEM LED tails or they wont work, most are made for the other halogen style tails.

Ok thanks, there is a back pic of lights so id have to compair that vs mine

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So i went ahead and used white silicone to fill the void, took a little time to remove the excess but im super happy!
If I had a darker color truck i would use black silicone.
Those other ones I posted on letgo are now down to 60 bucks too, may grab those also lol

IMG_20191227_080030.jpg IMG_20191227_075941.jpg IMG_20191227_075836.jpg