FCA emissions recall 67A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nope.... because it was done before the warranty became active. You won't be able to back date a warranty repair from 2 years prior.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
So here is my question...
I have a 2015 2500 with about 80k miles, original sale date was September 2014. About 2 years ago on the way home from Florida my DEF pump failed and I was forced to get it replaced on the road to get back home. $2818 from the local dealer later I was headed home.

I got an email recently about the 10 year or 100k miles extended warranty if I agree to let them do this recalibration nonsense.

*IF* I got the update and the "free" extended warranty, would Ram/Cummins reimburse me for the $2818 DEF pump replacement, as that would now be under warranty? If so, I might consider getting this done. I'm going to sell the truck in the next 2 years anyway to buy a dually...

The "Warranty " is to cover the items if they effected by the reflash. The Warranty takes effect after the reflash.
Would they cover something that happened before you got the reflash, of course not! It's in black and white, Warranty begins after the procedure is performed.

Let me ask you this, If you had no Warranty on your engine, and it blew up yesterday, do you think it would be covered under a Warranty purchased tomorrow?
Or another example, say you wreck the truck and realize you have no insurance. Do you call the next day and get full coverage insurance policy and then report to them the crash? They call that fraud if you did.

RacerDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
<snip> Will dealers that have a policy of not working on vehicles more than 10 years old perform repairs under the warranty?
This is a concern for me. My truck is a 2014, so are they going to generously give me 4 years of extended warranty, and then refuse to work on my truck because it's over 10 years old?

My plan of action is... no action. I'm not getting 67A done. My registration is due for renewal in September and I'll smog it (which it will pass with flying colors) and do the registration online.

Then brace for a fight with Commiefornia with my CARB FAQ in hand that states the recall does not need to be performed to register my truck.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The "Warranty " is to cover the items if they effected by the reflash. The Warranty takes effect after the reflash.
Would they cover something that happened before you got the reflash, of course not! It's in black and white, Warranty begins after the procedure is performed.

Let me ask you this, If you had no Warranty on your engine, and it blew up yesterday, do you think it would be covered under a Warranty purchased tomorrow?
Or another example, say you wreck the truck and realize you have no insurance. Do you call the next day and get full coverage insurance policy and then report to them the crash? They call that fraud if you did.
Your example is nothing like what I was asking.

For everyone else, if they were EXTENDING the factory warranty, would it not be from the END of my original warranty until the new expiration date?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No... it specifically says the warranty goes into effect from the date that the reflash was performed. So if there is a gap between the end of your original warranty and the date of the reflash, that period of time is not covered. They know what they're doing.

GCecchetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CDT
The performance of your truck is something we take seriously. We will be sharing your comments with the appropriate teams for review. Please note if you’ve completed the software calibration update, your vehicle is automatically eligible for a special extended warranty program from Cummins. You can learn more about it, plus find helpful resources and links at cumminsrecall.com. FCA Customer Care is also available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. They can be reached at: 1-866-726-4636 or 1-866-RAM-INFO. If there is anything further we can help you with please let us know.
This is all just crap that burns up a bunch of our money and time. I'm in California and am forced into having this recall done by the state. When I paid my ridiculously high registration, I was sent an incomplete registration notice because I haven't had the recall done. My 14 Ram Prospector XL is bone stock under the hood, but I just spent a huge amount of money having a fully built 68RFE put in it in hopes of not having another trans die. Stock trans went 140,000 miles so you know I don't beat on my truck. Anyway, the installer did a custom trans tune, and being that the truck is a Prospector XL, has had the tire size and TPMS thresholds set custom. Now I have to have this recall done which is going to blow all of that out. So, I get to drive 3 hours in horrible traffic to the trans shop and pay to have the trans tune reinstalled and then will have to spend the time with Alpha OBD to reset everything else.

My truck is 2014 with 140,000 miles on it, so I'm sure I'm not getting any extended warranty. This is my 4th Cummins powered Ram, so I have been loyal to both brands, but this crap ****** me off. Cummins is the one that got themselves in trouble here and should be paying every penny for every owner to make it right. They should be standing behind us making sure the dealers don't screw us as we go through the inconvenience that Cummins has created for us.

Get a clue Cummins and figure out what customer service is. The constant posting about how serious you are about our experience and how you'll share the stories of our misery with the right people isn't helping. Get your hands out of our wallets and do the right thing. This is your problem, not ours, and you have sucked us all into it and we are now paying the price!

GCecchetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CDT
This is a concern for me. My truck is a 2014, so are they going to generously give me 4 years of extended warranty, and then refuse to work on my truck because it's over 10 years old?

My plan of action is... no action. I'm not getting 67A done. My registration is due for renewal in September and I'll smog it (which it will pass with flying colors) and do the registration online.

Then brace for a fight with Commiefornia with my CARB FAQ in hand that states the recall does not need to be performed to register my truck.
Sorry man, if you are in California, you have to get it done. When you pay your reg, you're going to get an incomplete registration letter and they won't send you your sticker and reg until the recall is performed. I have a Montana LLC, so thinking about moving my Ram over to Montana reg.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No... it specifically says the warranty goes into effect from the date that the reflash was performed. So if there is a gap between the end of your original warranty and the date of the reflash, that period of time is not covered. They know what they're doing.
I don't speak legalese... this is the exact wording in my email...
If you complete this emission recall, you are eligible for a free extended warranty for the greater of: (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 miles on the odometer(whichever comes first); (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from date of Emission recall completion(whichever comes first).
I'm trying to understand what those mean.
The first part sure sounds like it is a warranty extended from the date of the initial sale or 120,000 miles.
---OR---
4 years or 48,000 miles from the date of emission recall completion, whichever comes first.

Sounds to me that if your vehicle is less than 10 years and 120K miles, you get up to 10 years and 120K miles warranty. If your vehicle is newer and has less miles, they will only extend your warranty up to 4 years or 48K miles from the time of the reflash.

The initial date of sale was September 2024, so *if* my interpretation is correct, if I got this reflash done before September 2024 and I'm below 100,000 miles (which I am), then I would have an emissions warranty as of 2 years ago when I got that stupid pump replaced.

I was hoping that the Ram customer care rep here would have responded, but they didn't.

I'd let them do their BS to the truck if I got my $2818 back, I'm upgrading this truck in 2 years anyways and they'll have to get safety inspections done to sell it anyways. Might as well try to get some money back...

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wish you luck.
The letter says you are eligible, not that you are guaranteed.

Chances are... they're going to hit you with one of these 2 statements:

1723492489247.png
1723492775280.png
The DEF pump is unrelated to the re-flash. I hope for your sake that they will warranty it, but from personal experience with every mfg I've dealt with, you're probably peeing into the wind.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wish you luck.
The letter says you are eligible, not that you are guaranteed.

Chances are... they're going to hit you with one of these 2 statements:

The DEF pump is unrelated to the re-flash. I hope for your sake that they will warranty it, but from personal experience with every mfg I've dealt with, you're probably peeing into the wind.
Probably correct, but I suppose it's worth a phone call. If I read it right, they are extending the warranty on the entire emissions system, of which DEF is a part. Since Ram didn't respond here, I'll try to find time to make a phone call.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Probably correct, but I suppose it's worth a phone call. If I read it right, they are extending the warranty on the entire emissions system, of which DEF is a part. Since Ram didn't respond here, I'll try to find time to make a phone call.
It's definitely worth a call at least... my suspicion is that it will only cover anything that the flash could have prevented. The DEF pump is mechanical, so I think they'll weasel out of it.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well... my wife called in and was given specific instructions not to give VIN, tag info, etc. Somehow Ram had her phone number associated with my truck, so they were able to pull up the VIN and told her that the DEF pump wouldn't be covered, as many here said would happen.

What I found VERY interesting is that the guy told her that the extended warranty was being offered because this "fix" causes more strain on the DEF system. My wife pointed out that the extended warranty would only apply for another month... He didn't respond. My wife asked why anyone would bring their truck in for this "fix" that causes additional strain on the already fragile emissions system, especially if the weak warranty was only for a month. He just said that the recall was still showing open and asked if we wanted to schedule an appointment. My wife told him that she doesn't drive the truck and doesn't know anything about the recall and thanked him and hung up.

Worth a phone call, but I find it interesting that my wife's number is associated with the truck. I can only imagine that she called the dealership to set up a free oil change years ago... Big brother is watching, but he ain't helping...

OP
OP
chaosh1

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
California residents are encouraged to complete the software calibration update; however, it is not required to register a vehicle. The update is free and takes about an hour. It will not affect the truck’s torque, horsepower, handling, or engine function. The update is intended to enhance emissions performance and once completed, your vehicle is automatically eligible for special extended warranty coverage from Cummins. Please visit www.cumminsrecall.com to learn more. FCA Customer Care is also available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. They can be reached at: 1-866-726-4636 or 1-866-RAM-INFO. Thanks for powering your Ram with Cummins.
So has anyone in California recently been able to complete registration WITHOUT doing this? Cummins says its optional in California but i'm sure the Gestapo will say otherwise.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This "warranty" offer is nothing more than an attempt to coax more people into a false sense of security to get it done. Afterwards, when the system fails, they'll find all the fine print to weasel out of most coverage. I've tossed all of my letters in the trash. They will not reflash my ECM, no matter what they offer.

GCecchetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CDT
So has anyone in California recently been able to complete registration WITHOUT doing this? Cummins says its optional in California but i'm sure the Gestapo will say otherwise.
No, the state holds your registration and plate sticker hostage. There is no way to complete your reg in CA if this recall is open.

OP
OP
chaosh1

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No, the state holds your registration and plate sticker hostage. There is no way to complete your reg in CA if this recall is open.

That is what I thought. It has happened to me on a Honda recall so Cummins statement is not correct.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I posted it somewhere in this thread. There's a list of counties supposedly that requires it but not all of CA. That's what I found, not my experience.