First Ram!:) 3.0 inline 6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
This motor has been out for a couple years now. It is only the first year for the Ram pickup. As of a couple days ago Toyota still has not done a recall, the only notice out is from the NTSB. That is why everyone is a bit upset. The ones that have had blowin motors some have received short block some long and they have been using the same parts again like turbos and other part including heads. I know of one person is on his third engine. They are including the 22,23,and now there have been confirmed reports of even 24s. Toyota I think???? has come out now and said complete new motors will be replaced. This is what I have heard but have not confirmed. If you want to read 1000s of posts one can wander over to the tundra forum and spend a day or two over there. Toyota is supposed to let people know what is going on the end of this month. I had been a loyal Tundra owner for years and have read just about all I care to and have seen a handful of trusted videos all about this problem. The motor count now is that it’s supposed to be in the neighborhood of over 100,000 trucks and Sequoias that are or might be affected. I am over anything Toyota at this point I had a good motor the 5.7 but I sold it last year.

Enough Toyota already...........

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do they recommend regular fuel for the SO? Thinking they do which is an advantage over the HO for many. Plus a lot of folks don’t like the 3.92 rear and lower mileage figures that would accompany the HO.
Yes, 87 for SO, 91 for HO. Does state use higher octane in SO under certain conditions, see excerpt manual below: OP, (@ Six Turboed), take note since U have a trip coming up with your brand new ride:

octane.JPG

OP
OP
Six Turboed

Six Turboed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Inline 6 Twin Turbo
Do they recommend regular fuel for the SO? Thinking they do which is an advantage over the HO for many. Plus a lot of folks don’t like the 3.92 rear and lower mileage figures that would accompany the HO.
I just read this this morning on the SO you can run 87 but they suggest 91 or above especially if towing heavy and the HO is 91 or better. In Texas we do not have 91 we have 93

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just read this this morning on the SO you can run 87 but they suggest 91 or above especially if towing heavy and the HO is 91 or better. In Texas we do not have 91 we have 93
93 be fine. Just use top tier gas not mom and pop places. Just a suggestion for yer trip. Do as u see fit.

I posted that rec fuel right out of yer manual. Suggests higher octane for hot weather also.

My situation only:

fyi I run 89 but switch up a few tanks to 93 once in a while. All of my tools require 89 so easier and besides 89 recommended for my Hemi.

OP
OP
Six Turboed

Six Turboed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Inline 6 Twin Turbo
Sorry TB56 that post did not pop up until I hit post. Everyone got it twice!:) That’s all we run that’s all we can run. 87, 89, or 93.

The only place I get gas is Exxon have for 40 years and never have had a problem and it has to be a gas station that sells volume. We pay a bit extra but it is what it is! We make the stuff down the road and people pay less than we do right here in the Plants Central!! HA!!!

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I am in Central TX. Cefco and others here lousy fuel. so run Sunoco or Shell.

OP
OP
Six Turboed

Six Turboed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Inline 6 Twin Turbo
Another piece to this purchase that stuck out were the floor mats that come with the truck. They are rubber and they are very nice, they are not that dang hard plastic that get slippery when wet. The truck stuff that come with this truck is excellent too, they done did good with the revamp. It is also up a couple inches. Was not simple getting into the truck for the couple days until we put the side steps on. Have to say sumtin about the storage too, the two places under the mat and the open space under the back seat is completely open under there so a person can store things under the back seat without any interference what so ever. Tow strap and bag of goodies is under there now. In the storage under the mat has rope pieces and two soft shackles

Last edited:

carlylelocke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what gearing does your truck have (rear end). And what has your highway mpgs been? I have not seen anyone get close to sticker/EPA rating yet.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at a couple trucks up from this model but they were missing something. They all had the same motor and everything else except stereo and screen. I wanted painted no chrome, so it led to this plus it has the big screen and the better stereo! Besides being comfortable when we travel I like to have my music and if I want it loud it had to have the capacity to do so, this Alpine sounds good and is plenty loud so I won’t have to get a stereo. The next level up they get proud very quickly with the price. We got a good deal and they thru in the leather, I bought the side steps and I know a bed liner business, and the bedstep is easy peasy, I also just received my package that has my sill protectors in it, and doing all this we saved a bundle and it’s just the way we like it. I did look at one all decked out but I did not want to spend that type of money. :)
You likely saved a big chunk of cash going with the Ram. Good looking truck! I loved the Alpine in my 2016 and if this Rebel did not come with the HK I would have been happy with another Alpine.

OP
OP
Six Turboed

Six Turboed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Inline 6 Twin Turbo
what gearing does your truck have (rear end). And what has your highway mpgs been? I have not seen anyone get close to sticker/EPA rating yet.
355 gears and have not been on the Hwy yet. It should get pretty dang close to what they claim. I only have 301 miles, yesterday it finally moved off of full. I just saw your post this evening so sorry for the late response.

Last edited:

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am thinking the base Hurricane will be a great choice, maybe even
more performance than the 5.7 Hemi. So, I do not think everyone
wants the High Output. I know I wouldn't. The Laramie trim option is as high as I would go. I like it.
Companies often limit the larger engines to the uber priced models.
Just look at GM with the 5.3 or the 6.2. The rule applies there.

Spend at least $75K for the privilege to own the HO, rubbish I say.
Your money, do what you want.

Right now Stellantis and Ram have a lot of work to do to get the
ship uprighted.

One thing about the high out put turbo six is it requires premium fuel which in many cases cost one or two dollars a gallon more. I would be happy with the SSO engine that will run on regular fuel and still give 410 HP and 469 torque which is quite a bit more than my 5.7 Hemi will produce.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing about the high out put turbo six is it requires premium fuel which in many cases cost one or two dollars a gallon more. I would be happy with the SSO engine that will run on regular fuel and still give 410 HP and 469 torque which is quite a bit more than my 5.7 Hemi will produce.
I can get a 2025 here in Central Texas for about 50K plus tax and registration. But will only get about 27K on MY 19 trade in. SO would cost me at least 25K to go to a 2025, which for me is insane considering MY 19 been paid off since day 1 and under 25K on Odometer. Oh yeah, would luv brand new ride in driveway. If I could get for under 20K owed, would make me think ne way, skerry tho, BOIRD thinking.

SURE would miss the sound of my Hemi. And here is another thing. My hemi is just really breaking in and driving around town on the circle ring at 60 MPH, I am getting 24-25 MPG, cannot complain on that with 98 F out and at 47% humidity.

FTR: My son just leased a 2025 Lonestar bout 3 weeks ago. He is going on the 1st Big trip to FL and back in a week so I am hoping he reports back and lets me know how his new ride does.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
355 gears and have not been on the Hwy yet. It should get pretty dang close to what they claim. I only have 301 miles, yesterday it finally moved off of full. I just saw your post this evening so sorry for the late response.
Drive it and enjoy it. The 355 gears are OK, kinda best of both worlds ref Hwy and Towing,. BUT U know gonna take a while for U to get near any advertised MPG, not till breaks in, prob do a Lot better once U get like 5K on Odometer. I had 355 gearing in my 2015 ED, was fine.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can get a 2025 here in Central Texas for about 50K plus tax and registration. But will only get about 27K on MY 19 trade in. SO would cost me at least 25K to go to a 2025, which for me is insane considering MY 19 been paid off since day 1 and under 25K on Odometer. Oh yeah, would luv brand new ride in driveway. If I could get for under 20K owed, would make me think ne way, skerry tho, BOIRD thinking.

SURE would miss the sound of my Hemi. And here is another thing. My hemi is just really breaking in and driving around town on the circle ring at 60 MPH, I am getting 24-25 MPG, cannot complain on that with 98 F out and at 47% humidity.

FTR: My son just leased a 2025 Lonestar bout 3 weeks ago. He is going on the 1st Big trip to FL and back in a week so I am hoping he reports back and lets me know how his new ride does.

I bought a 2019 crew cab laramie 4x4 with sport and off road package 5.7 and 392 gears in 2019. I now have 71,000 with zero issues since new and have put over half of those miles pulling a Travel Trailer all over the country. It is great for pulling a load with the 392 gears and I'm happy with the fulel mileage when empty. When just rolling down the highway at 75 mph I can get about 16.5 mpg I know that doesn't sound good to you guys with the 321 gears but you have to give up something sometime like with me for better load pulling. I'm very happy with My Ram and think I'll hold on to it a bit longer. By the way I looked at a 2024 new Ram optioned exactly like mine and it is 11,000 dollars more on the sticker than mine was in 2019. WOW to me that's a big jump in price for the same truck in just five years! Mine New on sticker was 62-k in 2019.

carlylelocke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No worries, just keep me posted haha!

OP
OP
Six Turboed

Six Turboed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Inline 6 Twin Turbo
A couple few weeks into the new truck and everything about this truck has been good. All,,,,,,, except,,,,,,,,,,,, the other day I do not know what happened but I touched the button behind the steering wheel and that just started a gone to plaid situation on the stereo. Would not hook up to phone and then when it did the system kept trying to split the phone and the Bluetooth. When it did hook up and sync it would put up the artist playing but it would also have three icons on the left which it never has been the case. Called the guy that sold me the truck and he said come by. It is a five minute drive so I drove over, upon looking at it he said he has never seen this. He tried for 5 minutes or so and gave up. So he rebooted the stereo and from that point it would sync with phone and it has been fine since.

The other thing I have noticed is at start up the truck takes a long time to come down to idle. I put it in neutral right away and the truck did not like that it ran rough for a split second until in reached neutral. The truck likes being left in park after start up so it can do what ever it does and comes down to 8 or 9 hundred rpm at idle. After that it is smooth sailing. As high as the truck revs at start up I would imagine that if someone put the vehicle in drive or reverse it would act up and I could see that throwing a code for what ever reason.
I take it in stride as that is the way the truck is. You start it and have to wait for it to run thru everything until it is ready to go.
Love the truck and everything about it. The ride is nice and the knob selector switch I am still getting use to!:)

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I would agree with you if your figures were realistic where I live. I have to run premium fuel (91 octane) in my Audi so I'm very familiar with the cost differences. Several gas stations in my area sell it for 30 cents per gallon more than regular. The biggest difference I've found anywhere in my vicinity is 60 cents per gallon. But that's for ethanol free 92 octane. It's definitely more expensive to burn premium, but for some it might be worth the higher cost to have that additional performance.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A couple few weeks into the new truck and everything about this truck has been good. All,,,,,,, except,,,,,,,,,,,, the other day I do not know what happened but I touched the button behind the steering wheel and that just started a gone to plaid situation on the stereo. Would not hook up to phone and then when it did the system kept trying to split the phone and the Bluetooth. When it did hook up and sync it would put up the artist playing but it would also have three icons on the left which it never has been the case. Called the guy that sold me the truck and he said come by. It is a five minute drive so I drove over, upon looking at it he said he has never seen this. He tried for 5 minutes or so and gave up. So he rebooted the stereo and from that point it would sync with phone and it has been fine since.

The other thing I have noticed is at start up the truck takes a long time to come down to idle. I put it in neutral right away and the truck did not like that it ran rough for a split second until in reached neutral. The truck likes being left in park after start up so it can do what ever it does and comes down to 8 or 9 hundred rpm at idle. After that it is smooth sailing. As high as the truck revs at start up I would imagine that if someone put the vehicle in drive or reverse it would act up and I could see that throwing a code for what ever reason.
I take it in stride as that is the way the truck is. You start it and have to wait for it to run thru everything until it is ready to go.
Love the truck and everything about it. The ride is nice and the knob selector switch I am still getting use to!:)
I've had my '23 for a year now...I'm STILL getting used to the knob selector! Have you slammed it into P yet when getting ready to back up?

OP
OP
Six Turboed

Six Turboed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Inline 6 Twin Turbo
Also getting accustomed to the quietness of the truck. The acoustic windows make a huge difference, what reminded me of these was I had tried to get me wife’s attention when she was outside of the truck she could not hear me and I could not hear her. It is amazingly quiet!:) even with the windows down there is virtually no engine or exhaust noise.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The manual reference to gasoline octane evidently shows the S.O. engine has an ignition timing algorithm that will adjust timing (advancing) to make use of higher octane gas (resistance to detonation).

In other words, if you pay the extra for premium gas, you will get the benefit of more torque and power IF you load the truck up.

Depending how they designed the control algorithm, it MAY be advantageous to use premium year round. For the Hemi's, the default mode is advanced ignition timing for 89 octane gas. While 87 is "acceptable", 89 is "preferred". The reason why was discovered by a member that looked at the ignition timing with an advanced service tool. The way the ECM works in Hemi is by allowing detonation in repeated cycles with 87 octane gas before it pulls back the spark timing for good for 87 octane gas. Not a good algorithm, IMHO. Using knocking repeatedly to adjust timing is abusive.

Therefore, I always run 91 octane top tier gasoline in my Hemi, and I would do the same with a Hurricane engine as well.