First Ram!:) 3.0 inline 6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've had my '23 for a year now...I'm STILL getting used to the knob selector! Have you slammed it into P yet when getting ready to back up?

My 23 is almost a year old too and I have done that, actually pretty recently. A knob is not as intuitive as a shift lever for most of us.

@Six Turboed - on the 25, how smooth is the stop/start feature on the truck?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 23 is almost a year old too and I have done that, actually pretty recently. A knob is not as intuitive as a shift lever for most of us.

I absolutely hated the knob at first, almost didn't buy it because I wanted the GM column shifter. At a certain point 2 to 3 years in on my ownership and I realized that I hadn't even thought about it in months, and now I love it. It's super quick to operate, frees up space, doesn't block your view of the infotainment like the column shifter does.

"Intuitive", well that depends on what you grew up with. If you only drove stick and then hopped into a Ram I don't think you'd have a problem figuring out how it works anymore than you would the column shifter.

And there is safety built into the knob, once you're moving more than a few mph it won't actually let you turn the knob destructively. So I've read, never had the courage to try and go from neutral to reverse at 50 mph because ya know it's electronics built by Ram and you never know when the electronics decides to take the day off.

I think it can be improved by making the detents stiffer and more chunky. They feel a little too soft for my taste because the feedback should match the importance of what you're doing.

All my 2 cents of course.

MD Sledhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
I was the same with my 2014... almost bought a 2013 6-speed to get the shifter (duh).

I'm now the opposite. When I drive the wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee, I'm constantly reaching for the knob instead of the console shifter.

OP
OP
Six Turboed

Six Turboed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Inline 6 Twin Turbo

I don’t use it. I shut that off right after I start the truck.
I had forgotten all about that feature and I had to stop at a light and pushed the pedal and there was a spilt second/hesitation before it caught up. I freaked thinking something went wrong. Fifty yards down the road it hit me and I realized what had happened. From that point it is a must do while my finger is still out from pushing the start button, I press that and then wait for it to come down to idle. I do not like the drop start dealy at all!! It is a bad idea IMHO!!!:)

Last edited: