First time in 10 years.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jumped in, cranked right up as normal, idles up to 1000rpm, then dies (of, course, not at home).
Did this three times in a row then dead, nothing, no clicking, no sound at all.
Battery's fine, full charge.
Been driving it normally for the last year nere an issue?
At my mechanic's now.
Take a guess, I have no clue-sure hope it ain't my pcm?
Oh well, it's only money, right. lol

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry you didn't get any responses. I'd love to hear what happened.

I usually hangout in the new thread area of the site and see most of the new posts. Missed this one.

Glad it's fixed

Hope you have a great long weekend!

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Wow, site just ain't like it used to be with help?
It's fixed now, but I'm not sharing the common issue you will probably encounter that has an easy fix to get you up and going again. lol
Sorry sir, I just seen this. I don't think I'd have had an answer for you but would like to hear what the problem was.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
What did it end up being? I had my VATS go crazy on my Camaro. It works when it wants to with the key and when it doesn't I have a toggle switch. Mine was down for 3 weeks while I ran down every possible thing in the book. Went to replace the starter as a last resort and decided to jump the starter and it started right up. If I let mine sit for a week it forgets the key chip and then it takes a few days for it to relearn the thing even tho GM says they can not relearn or learn a key.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, the chip inside goes bad and a new key has to be made. Ain't cheap either, $450 for three keys, two chipped ignition keys and one door key!
YUCK

Well if anyone chimes in next time, we can help you get some new keys cheaper!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No, the chip inside goes bad and a new key has to be made. Ain't cheap either, $450 for three keys, two chipped ignition keys and one door key!
Never heard of that,fob batteries sure,but not the chip dieing,unless you abuse the fob,by dropping it a far distance.Makes me question how you treat your fobs,lol

OP
OP
Tray Burge

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never heard of that,fob batteries sure,but not the chip dieing,unless you abuse the fob,by dropping it a far distance.Makes me question how you treat your fobs,lol
It ain't the fob WildOne, it's the chip inside your key. Fob still functions normally, same as "other" keys you may have, which I did that worked fine.
4th gens up went to another system and don't work the same way, supposedly.
Unless you were to put the key in a lawn mower, really can't abuse just a key? lol

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I can say that my 2012 work truck won't do anything sometimes and in the center of the dash display it will say "bad key fob". I can take it out and turn it over and it starts most of the time on second try. I have another one in case it fails all together.

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I can say that my 2012 work truck won't do anything sometimes and in the center of the dash display it will say "bad key fob". I can take it out and turn it over and it starts most of the time on second try. I have another one in case it fails all together.

I thought it said bad key fob, it did it today and this is what it says. I take it out and flip key around and it starts 2nd try most of the time, this time flipped it 4 times and started. Guess I'll wait till I'm stranded till I buy another one! Kidding, I have a backup! LolPXL_20240902_162543319.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well glad you figured it out. To have my ignition replaced to solve the Vats issue was 500 and the keys were 350 each... Hence why I did a bypass for when it acts up periodically.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I thought it said bad key fob, it did it today and this is what it says. I take it out and flip key around and it starts 2nd try most of the time, this time flipped it 4 times and started. Guess I'll wait till I'm stranded till I buy another one! Kidding, I have a backup! LolView attachment 549977
I am not sure on dodge, but does the system that works the chip in the key known for issues?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
This one is 13 years old so I'm not sure it's an issue?
As I have always said the best 4th gens stopped being made at 2012... I never had any issues with mine saying that. Mine was up to 163k when I sold it to my neighbors adult son. He hasn't had one issue with it in the 8 months he's be driving it everyday lol.

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
My personal truck I bought 2 key fobs 4 years ago on Amazon for under $50 and got the app called Chrysler Pin Puller and bought some tokens for if I remember right another $50, done 2 keys and still have 15 tokens left.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
My personal truck I bought 2 key fobs 4 years ago on Amazon for under $50 and got the app called Chrysler Pin Puller and bought some tokens for if I remember right another $50, done 2 keys and still have 15 tokens left.
Mine had the two keys when I got it in 16 and then I had a locksmith make me one so that I had a third just in case.