Flowmaster muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So I was able to get my hands on a brand new Flowmaster original 40 (430402) series muffler that was super cheap. However, when I go on their website this muffler doesn’t come up after putting in my vehicle information. Will this muffler fit my 14 Ram? It was open box, so the instructions were missing. I’ve never done any exhaust work but I wouldn’t mind this being the first time if it isn’t hard to install myself. Anyone have this particular muffler installed? Any advice is welcomed.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Measure the inlet and outlet of yer Muffler and compare to the flowmaster. U also got to look at length and width ref where it goes and how the muffler compares to old one ref inputs/outlets (1 in/1 out // 1 in, 2 out, etc). There are adapters made that U can increase/decrease sizes and such, but whether U want to clamp up on such, or weld. Find a good muffler shop and take it there and talk to shop head. All IMHO.......

It's sure not made for your truck according to specs, but as stated above, U could do adapters and such. But truck gonna need to be up on rack, ref see what U got, etc. Might have to weld adapters on, hangers, reinvent the wheel under there etc. Good Luck on this project.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
See if your local muffler shop can order the correct one and take your bargain one to offset the cost.

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Measure the inlet and outlet of yer Muffler and compare to the flowmaster. U also got to look at length and width ref where it goes and how the muffler compares to old one ref inputs/outlets (1 in/1 out // 1 in, 2 out, etc). There are adapters made that U can increase/decrease sizes and such, but whether U want to clamp up on such, or weld. Find a good muffler shop and take it there and talk to shop head. All IMHO.......

It's sure not made for your truck according to specs, but as stated above, U could do adapters and such. But truck gonna need to be up on rack, ref see what U got, etc. Might have to weld adapters on, hangers, reinvent the wheel under there etc. Good Luck on this project.
Thanks. Definitely sounds like something I won’t be able to tackle myself.

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
See if your local muffler shop can order the correct one and take your bargain one to offset the cost.
That would be great. I guess I can try to find someone with a GM or Ford that might want to buy it.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
That would be great. I guess I can try to find someone with a GM or Ford that might want to buy it.
Or they can have yours in stock ready to sell.
See if they'll take yours in lieu of labor costs to weld in the right one that you buy.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. Definitely sounds like something I won’t be able to tackle myself.

OH NO, not yer typical driveway project. IT can be done, but just so much easier up in the air.

TOTALLY DITTO tho what NJMOPAR said. Get the correct one fitted and sized and made etc fer yer truck,. In the end, be cheaper, and less worrisome, BUT Yer truck, DO what works fer U.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The biggest problem is, that Muffler is for a lot older vehicle. SO U gonna have to try someone running an older vehicle.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all said and done u might have more money into if you would've just bought a mufflex and did it yourself. couple wrenches, hammer and time

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
all said and done u might have more money into if you would've just bought a mufflex and did it yourself. couple wrenches, hammer and time
So you also agree that I should just find the proper one for my vehicle as well?

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Who in their right mind would put a Chev/Ford muffler on a Ram :head3: ??????????? But seriously the correct one would be so much easier to install.... SO!!!!! :waytogo: And who wants their Ram to sound like a Chev/Ford anyway ?? :nutkick:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Who in their right mind would put a Chev/Ford muffler on a Ram :head3: ??????????? But seriously the correct one would be so much easier to install.... SO!!!!! :waytogo: And who wants their Ram to sound like a Chev/Ford anyway ?? :nutkick:
I was actually misled and trusted the person’s word without doing research. Definitely my fault for that. It wasn’t until after I went to search for installation instructions that I learned this wasn’t the one that I thought it was, which was more than $200. Again, definitely dumb on my behalf.

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So this is the muffler you have?
https://www.holley.com/products/exh...ered_mufflers/40_series_original/parts/430402
If so, it's a center 3" in & dual 2.5" outs with 19" oal.
Any good muffler shop will be able to weld it up with adapters & fab up a hangar (or cut your old one off & weld it on the 40)
Yes, that is the exact one I have. I guess I can take it by a Meineke or Midas and see what can be done. If it’s too pricey, I can just buy the one I need and take the loss on the one I have if I can’t work out a deal

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In all seriousness I hope they can take care of it for you... One can never do too much research I guess... Good Luck..

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To clarify, the Flowmaster muffler listed in the OP is a typical "generic" muffler. It's not specifically made for any exact make or model....saying it's a Ford or Chevy muffler is about equivalent to saying you bought the wrong blinker fluid. Basically all exhaust companies make generic mufflers of various sizes, inlets, outlets, etc....that you can choose to make a custom exhaust setup (i.e. a shop bends up the tubing). While any half-way competent exhaust shop should be able to easily make that muffler work on your truck it's not a simple unbolt the old factory muffler and bolt on this muffler. Usually requires a little exhaust pipe bending, welding, and exhaust hanger work. Back in the day almost all aftermarket exhausts were "custom" built by exhaust shops where they bought the mufflers and then bent up all the exhaust pipes and installed them. This is still fairly common today but the DIY bolt on styles are becoming more popular. Mainly because a custom exhaust setup requires a pipe bender and some skill in being able to route it correctly.

With that said most exhaust companies also offer various "direct fit" mufflers or complete bolt-on exhaust kits. A quick search of the Flowmaster website shows they offer several "direct fit" mufflers that appear to be basically single in/dual out mufflers with the correctly bent exhaust pipe to match up the factory pipes and some the exhaust hangers on them. Based on looking at the direct fit kits the base muffler appears to be a similar configuration to the generic one you bought.

Before you do anything I would talk to some exhaust shops and see what they could do. Sometimes the big name chain shops are more interested in just slapping on cheap replacement pipes and you might need to find a smaller shop that does more custom stuff (but still check the ones you mentioned). From my experience having a shop do a custom install on a muffler is often cheaper than buying a direct fit kit. On Flowmaster's site the "direct fit" mufflers are $300-$400 and all they appear to be is a muffler, short section of pipes, and some hangers. For the same or cheaper price a shop may be able to install the generic muffler.

OP
OP
NJ_TN Ram

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
To clarify, the Flowmaster muffler listed in the OP is a typical "generic" muffler. It's not specifically made for any exact make or model....saying it's a Ford or Chevy muffler is about equivalent to saying you bought the wrong blinker fluid. Basically all exhaust companies make generic mufflers of various sizes, inlets, outlets, etc....that you can choose to make a custom exhaust setup (i.e. a shop bends up the tubing). While any half-way competent exhaust shop should be able to easily make that muffler work on your truck it's not a simple unbolt the old factory muffler and bolt on this muffler. Usually requires a little exhaust pipe bending, welding, and exhaust hanger work. Back in the day almost all aftermarket exhausts were "custom" built by exhaust shops where they bought the mufflers and then bent up all the exhaust pipes and installed them. This is still fairly common today but the DIY bolt on styles are becoming more popular. Mainly because a custom exhaust setup requires a pipe bender and some skill in being able to route it correctly.

With that said most exhaust companies also offer various "direct fit" mufflers or complete bolt-on exhaust kits. A quick search of the Flowmaster website shows they offer several "direct fit" mufflers that appear to be basically single in/dual out mufflers with the correctly bent exhaust pipe to match up the factory pipes and some the exhaust hangers on them. Based on looking at the direct fit kits the base muffler appears to be a similar configuration to the generic one you bought.

Before you do anything I would talk to some exhaust shops and see what they could do. Sometimes the big name chain shops are more interested in just slapping on cheap replacement pipes and you might need to find a smaller shop that does more custom stuff (but still check the ones you mentioned). From my experience having a shop do a custom install on a muffler is often cheaper than buying a direct fit kit. On Flowmaster's site the "direct fit" mufflers are $300-$400 and all they appear to be is a muffler, short section of pipes, and some hangers. For the same or cheaper price a shop may be able to install the generic muffler.
Thanks for the information

Gerald Sheppard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 08 5.7 had a 3" single inlet and dual 2 1/2" outlets and I had the exhaust re-done to 2 1/2" true dual with a Magnaflow dual in/out s/s muffler , built in X pipe. Much mellower, but still a nice tone. The Flowmaster had a drone on the highway.

Lucifer 52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had Flowmaster on my 05 and it rusted in 2years. Purchased a Borla stainless from Summit 8 years ago and it still looks like new. Also the sound is just right and I can hear my radio. Just my 2 cents worth.