Goaded into buying a used 1500 Hemi...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lepalba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
...and now the headlight assembly went out. It drives well for 100k miles 2016 V8, but after reading through this forum, I'm starting to think it was a terrible idea to get this. I'm so terrified of this "Hemi tick" I keep reading about, fortunately I can't discern any ticking noise from the engine... I'm going to give it a multi-point inspection seems okay to do.

452032917_1939483676523736_1062035532363966521_n.jpg

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the headlight check out modify street by AlphaRex. I replaced mine with modify street projectors and really happy with the quality for the price.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't worry about it. The problem is way over represented on forums because people come to complain. Nobody posts "my truck runs great, just wanted to join to let you know that!"
So much this.
but after reading through this forum, I'm starting to think it was a terrible idea to get this. I'm so terrified of this "Hemi tick" I keep reading about
There are hundreds of thousands of these things that were completely unaffected. Like he said, no one ever joins and loudly proclaims that this thing runs great! Enjoy it, run it until it doesn't run. No use causing yourself anxiety over it.

dibber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought a 2022 in April and I've been a nervous wreck ever since , plus now stalantis laying off over 2,000 people and seems like they are going to go out of business, I love this truck by the way

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I bought a 2022 in April and I've been a nervous wreck ever since , plus now stalantis laying off over 2,000 people and seems like they are going to go out of business, I love this truck by the way
They are a LONGGGGGGGGG way from going out of business. Layoffs are a normal part of corporate America nowadays, unfortunately.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are way over thinking this. If you get on the forums for any brand of truck it's the exact same thing. Obviously not "Hemi Tick" but there will be some other issue. Just as mentioned several times already these problems get blown way out of proportion. Ram has produced literally millions of these trucks and there are only a handful of people that have actually had the issue. If you actually read a little deeper a lot of the people who make posts about all of this Hemi Tick have never actually experienced it, but are just stating that they heard about.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Good oil and filters and as stated oil changes between 4 and 5,000 miles,and don't baby it,drive it aggressively as the hemi's aren't an engine that like to be drove by Grandma.Don't be scared to use the skinny pedal like you would if you were 16 again :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
Lepalba

Lepalba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just make sure to change your oil every 4k and you will be fine.

Good oil and filters and as stated oil changes between 4 and 5,000 miles,and don't baby it,drive it aggressively as the hemi's aren't an engine that like to be drove by Grandma.Don't be scared to use the skinny pedal like you would if you were 16 again :Big Laugh:

Gotcha. It's my first pickup truck so I'll put in the effort to learn how to change the oil myself.

On the headlight check out modify street by AlphaRex. I replaced mine with modify street projectors and really happy with the quality for the price.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll look that up. Found condensation in the driver-side assembly, probably will replace both front headlights with something cooler looking than stock.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Gotcha. It's my first pickup truck so I'll put in the effort to learn how to change the oil myself.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look that up. Found condensation in the driver-side assembly, probably will replace both front headlights with something cooler looking than stock.
Where you are,i'd run 5W-30.Check out some of the oil threads for good oil choices.

Read the note,as 5W-30 is perfectly fine in warmer climates

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 7

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

They aren't "going out of business". Worst case scenario is they get acquired *again* and merge in to some new conglomerate.

Dodge hasn't been an independent brand in nearly a century. Chrysler bought out the Dodge brothers in the 1920s. Chrysler had a good run, then was merged with Fiat when they bought a majority stake in the company, resulting in FCA. FCA had a fairly brief run and merged with PSA group, which became Stellantis. Ram was born in the FCA era, split out from Dodge mostly so Chrysler dealers could have a pickup truck to sell without carrying Dodge cars.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
...and now the headlight assembly went out. It drives well for 100k miles 2016 V8, but after reading through this forum, I'm starting to think it was a terrible idea to get this. I'm so terrified of this "Hemi tick" I keep reading about, fortunately I can't discern any ticking noise from the engine... I'm going to give it a multi-point inspection seems okay to do.

View attachment 548465

Who goaded you into the purchase?

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They aren't "going out of business". Worst case scenario is they get acquired *again* and merge in to some new conglomerate.

Dodge hasn't been an independent brand in nearly a century. Chrysler bought out the Dodge brothers in the 1920s. Chrysler had a good run, then was merged with Fiat when they bought a majority stake in the company, resulting in FCA. FCA had a fairly brief run and merged with PSA group, which became Stellantis. Ram was born in the FCA era, split out from Dodge mostly so Chrysler dealers could have a pickup truck to sell without carrying Dodge cars.
Didn't Chrysler merge with Daimler before Fiat?