Got a new 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
Well, I just bought a new 2025 1500, Big Horn, crew cab, 6'4" bed, Hurricane, 3.92, level 1 package. It was against my better judgment to get a new engine like this but we'll see how it goes. I lost 118 pounds of payload capacity with the longer bed but hopefully I'll have enough. Over 2/3 of that is due to the larger fuel tank that comes with it. I weighed the truck and surprisingly it came out to within 1 pound of the sticker weight, especially when you consider that scales are rounded to the nearest 10. The brochure is confusing but that weight apparently does not include a driver or I don't think it would have been so close. I'll post more weights later.

It was interesting, the first one I drove had a check engine light on, the second one had cosmetic damage to the bumper, the third one was out of gas and so was the dealer gas truck and no one had a gas card, but the 4th was the charm.

After I bought it I was disappointed to find out it didn't have true keyless entry, where you can just touch the handle or a button to unlock it. I was thinking it had that. To have things like power folder mirrors and a heated steering wheel but not that seems odd. What's the point of having push-button start if you have to get out your key fob anyway? I really wanted that but oh well, first world problems, and not as important now that I'm not in snow country anymore.

The blind spot warning alert is obnoxiously loud and apparently not adjustable like the parking sensors are. The parking sensors are a little hyperactive so not really helpful when parking in tight spots.

The seats weren't as comfortable on the 300 mile drive home as I had hoped, but hopefully they will work out.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Payload capacity never includes people, but Ford, for some reason seems to do that.

Congrats on the new truck!

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
That is odd that a Big Horn lacks keyless locking and unlocking. It doesn’t have the little black button on the door handle?
No. I finally found a reference to it that confirms it doesn't.

1722570783671.png

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
Payload capacity never includes people, but Ford, for some reason seems to do that.

Congrats on the new truck!
Thanks!

Here's what the brochure says about payload:
Additional options, equipment, passengers and cargo weight may affect payload/towing weights.

Then it says this about GVWR, but why would this be next to the GVWR and not payload?
Assumes properly equipped vehicle and 150-lb allowance for driver. Additional options, equipment, passengers and cargo weight must be subtracted.

I weighed my previous Ford as well but can't seem to find it. But I'm pretty sure it lined up with the sticker and the sticker didn't allow for a driver either. But I may be wrong.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is odd that a Big Horn lacks keyless locking and unlocking. It doesn’t have the little black button on the door handle?
OP is talking about proximity lock/unlock. The truck still has the ability to lock or unlock via button on the arm rest.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I bought it I was disappointed to find out it didn't have true keyless entry, where you can just touch the handle or a button to unlock it. I was thinking it had that.
Welcome to the club. When it said remote lock/unlock I just assumed it was proximity lock/unlock. I have not, not had that feature on any vehicle I've owned the past 8 years and when I was shopping a new vehicle, they all had it as Standard!

I'm in cold snow country and was sorely disappointed in not having what I consider to be a standard feature.

I've gotten used to not having it, so its fine.

Edit: You can add proximity lock, there is a huge how-to thread at 5th gen forum, if interested.

Last edited:

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I too was bummed on my 2024 BTS which has the 27Z package and Level B equipment package. They are so rare the first time I really saw one was at the dealer the day to pick it up and realized it didn't have the proximity handles. My 2018 laramie had it and it was one of the best things ever. I'm totally bummed my 2024 optioned out big horn doesn't have it. I looked into adding it and its not cheap plus alot of work to replace the handles and you have to add a module or two and then get the computer flashed. The worse part is if my key isn't like within 2 ft of the push to start it says there is no key and wont start. So leaving my key in my pant pocket or jacket pocket doesnt work... I need to pull it out and hold it as I push the button or have it out and not obstructed AT ALL in the cup holder or center console. It's really the only gripe with my truck... well that and the average 16mpg fuel economy and a 20 gal tank is trash.

MD Sledhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Sounds like a nice truck... I really do hope the engine is all it's cracked up to be. But that's one reason I bought a 2024 - I'm not a trusting person.
You're going to love the 6'4" bed (on my second one) and the larger fuel tank. I can drive 500 miles before the light comes on.
There are 2 times you'll dislike these features:
1. Parking - the truck is very hard to park due to the 9" longer wheelbase
2. Gas pump - If you go til the light comes on, it's over $100 to fill up
Not surprised about the proximity unlock... but the seats do surprise me. The seats in my Limited are far and away the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in (this includes seats that are not in a vehicle). And the cooled feature is unbelievable. My 2014 Laramie had cooled seats, but these really cool the jewels!
And for goodness sake... Post some pictures!!

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!

Here's what the brochure says about payload:
Additional options, equipment, passengers and cargo weight may affect payload/towing weights.

Then it says this about GVWR, but why would this be next to the GVWR and not payload?
Assumes properly equipped vehicle and 150-lb allowance for driver. Additional options, equipment, passengers and cargo weight must be subtracted.

I weighed my previous Ford as well but can't seem to find it. But I'm pretty sure it lined up with the sticker and the sticker didn't allow for a driver either. But I may be wrong.
Man,I aint seen 150lbs since high school.
Not to bad though,im only 70lbs more in 35yrs.....well ok,ya that sucks....lol
Alot of liquid weight?ya thats it,I'm goin with that...ha!

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
Welcome to the club. When it said remote lock/unlock I just assumed it was proximity lock/unlock. I have not, not had that feature on any vehicle I've owned the past 8 years and when I was shopping a new vehicle, they all had it as Standard!

I'm in cold snow country and was sorely disappointed in not having what I consider to be a standard feature.

I've gotten used to not having it, so its fine.

Edit: You can add proximity lock, there is a huge how-to thread at 5th gen forum, if interested.
I was in snow country, and yes there it would be more important. Although it's already driving me a little nuts, but I'll just have to get used to it. On hot days I get the remote out for remote start anyway. My wife hates having to dig through her purse but she probably won't be driving it much.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
I too was bummed on my 2024 BTS which has the 27Z package and Level B equipment package. They are so rare the first time I really saw one was at the dealer the day to pick it up and realized it didn't have the proximity handles. My 2018 laramie had it and it was one of the best things ever. I'm totally bummed my 2024 optioned out big horn doesn't have it. I looked into adding it and its not cheap plus alot of work to replace the handles and you have to add a module or two and then get the computer flashed. The worse part is if my key isn't like within 2 ft of the push to start it says there is no key and wont start. So leaving my key in my pant pocket or jacket pocket doesnt work... I need to pull it out and hold it as I push the button or have it out and not obstructed AT ALL in the cup holder or center console. It's really the only gripe with my truck... well that and the average 16mpg fuel economy and a 20 gal tank is trash.
Weird about the key having to be so close.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
Sounds like a nice truck... I really do hope the engine is all it's cracked up to be. But that's one reason I bought a 2024 - I'm not a trusting person.
You're going to love the 6'4" bed (on my second one) and the larger fuel tank. I can drive 500 miles before the light comes on.
There are 2 times you'll dislike these features:
1. Parking - the truck is very hard to park due to the 9" longer wheelbase
2. Gas pump - If you go til the light comes on, it's over $100 to fill up
Not surprised about the proximity unlock... but the seats do surprise me. The seats in my Limited are far and away the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in (this includes seats that are not in a vehicle). And the cooled feature is unbelievable. My 2014 Laramie had cooled seats, but these really cool the jewels!
And for goodness sake... Post some pictures!!
Yeah hopefully I won't have any parking accidents. I pulled into a spot a couple days ago and realized how much bigger it was than any of them, but fortunately most places I can pull through into another spot. But thanks for the encouragement, hopefully it won't be too bad. My bikes still don't fit in the bed though, although they do at an angle. But I plan to just get a bike rack, although will make it even more difficult park and I might not be able to fit it in my garage with it on.

They used to have $100 limits at gas pumps (and sometimes even $75), but I generally try to fill up before it gets too low nowadays. It's hard to see a bill that high.

Yeah I gotta take some pics, sometime this week. Been too busy selling my other car.

Wire4money

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 22 does not have it either. I find it odd, pull the key out of my pocket to unlock, put it back in to start.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t know why your fob would have a weak battery but that’s how my wife’s Lexus behaved when the battery got weak. I had to hold the fob against the start button for about 3-4 seconds before it would light up and then it would start with a push of the button. A new battery fixed it back up.

leftchevybehind

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
I do miss having keyless entry. It can be added but expensive to do. I usually unlock like I used to back in the old days.

SigEp418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi BTS Edition
I was bummed, as well, that my 24 BTS didn’t have the proximity/passive entry. But it’s such a great truck with so many features for the price. I think there are a few aftermarket products that provide the passive entry but I haven’t done a lot of research. I know one I saw required an rfid tag to be carried on your keychain. At least this way you don’t have to get into replacing the handles and whatnot. Your issue with the key having to be so close to the push button start seems wild. Mine hasn’t done that yet with 2k on the od. Might want to get it checked while it’s still under warranty.

Six Turboed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Inline 6 Twin Turbo
The volume on those warnings should be able to be turned down thru the touch screen. I could not find anything until the third day or so when the truck caught up with me (all the info) I was able to adjust distance and loudness on most every nanny the truck has.
Congrats on the new ride. I do not know how the long bed rides but the shorter one rides like a dream got a 4x4.:)

Last edited: