Gun Storage in Tradesman?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

that va guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a 14 Tradesman with the bench seat in the front. I was curious to see how other guys have their sidearms stored in their trucks. I have my XD .45 in the pull out tray under the stereo. I tried to fabricate a foam cutout but that didnt go too well. How do you guys do it?

maillemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the little compartments under the floor mats in the back of the crew cab would work well, but they would need to be replaced with a metal box and lockable. I was under my new truck last weekend changing the oil and they look plastic - if you hit something with them it could rip them right out as they are stock.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
They already sell a lock kit for the rear floor boxes and I highly doubt going to get ripped out or hit. No pun intended, but those boxes are in between the frame and body pinch welds and the only thing that I could see getting to it would be a good sized stick popping up from the tire, but I doubt that also.

You could get an under the column clip mount so it's right there.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just wear mine. My Glock 19 doesn't fit in that tray. You could also leave it in the center seat back/storage. You could also shove it between the driver and middle seat.

tomcat1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just wear mine. My Glock 19 doesn't fit in that tray. You could also leave it in the center seat back/storage. You could also shove it between the driver and middle seat.

That's how I store my HK USP. I plan on building a console similar to the fancy dually's and have a hideaway with a kydex form screwed to box. I got a super plan in my head now all I need is a couple weeks to get it done. I'll post when I start.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My Glock 43 fits in the pull out tray in the dash, I have the bench seat in my Laramie because it's awesome. I think my G19 would fit but it might not open if it bounces around the wrong way. The back seat floor area is not for a carry weapon, might as well have a small bat handy. Great for storage when you can't carry though. A security guard searched my truck for a while at NASA and never looked under the rear mats. I wasn't carrying though due to the rules, ****.

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My G19 fits in the pocket under the radio, muzzle to the right. In AZ, we're required to carry in the vehicle in SOME type of holster or container. I use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster that basically covers only the front half of the pistol. They fit together in the tray and I have never had it jamb the tray.

I used to keep it in the armrest storage (I have a bench, too) but it was too hard to access.

I would also be interested in something more secure in the back, when I have to leave it in the truck.

Backwoodsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In South Carolina a CWP holder can have their sidearm on their person while in a vehicle, but anyone in the state can carry one in a center console or glove box. However, I have a holster mounted to the side of my console for my P229 when I am driving more than a few minutes down the road or for when I am on private property hunting or out at the lease here in SC or back home in TX. I am in no way advocating for you to violate your state laws.
Sorry for the bad pictures, It is dark and my camera was having trouble focusing.

DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked out the Console Vault? Go to their website and see what you think. I'm seriously considering getting one for my truck.

Magna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bolted a GunVault Nano to the floor behind my driver's seat for when I have no choice but to go into a free kill zone...otherwise, I won't patronize any business that doesn't allow concealed carry. And, if I do have no choice but to go into one, I make sure that my empty holster is clearly visible when I let the manager/owner how messed up their policy is. I kind of understand not allowing open carry in certain businesses, especially ones that are frequented by children...but banning CC is just ridiculous.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

24poepoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hem 5.7
I usually pocket carry but on a longer trip i have a versacarry clipped onto the drawer under the radio. Very secure and easy access .

Attachments

• 20160201_133311.jpg
    20160201_133311.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 151

Mopar_Magic_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I usually pocket carry but on a longer trip i have a versacarry clipped onto the drawer under the radio. Very secure and easy access .

How is that mounted? Just a clip with no drilling or screws? I don't want to put holes in my new truck.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
In my truck.. It's in a locked box that's not transparent, with a trigger lock and unloaded.

Then set on the floor or back seat.

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In an aliengear holster on my right hip. [emoji6]

But if I'm going into an establishment that I absolutely can not carry, I have a gun vault hidden and aircraft cabled to the seat frame. It rarely gets used though.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just finished installing a new center jumpseat that contains the under-seat storage compartment. Instead of replacing the CD player compartment that came with the console (w/ out CD player), I decided to modify it to hold my pistol for those times when it is not welcome. It's pretty stealthy.

I used upholstery foam to fill the CD player cavity...
IMAG0070.jpg

I then cut a slit in the foam using scissors. I didn't hollow it out, I only cut out enough space to insert an OWB Desantis holster I never use...
IMAG0071.jpg

The holster is firm enough that the foam only lightly compresses it so it is easy to insert the pistol, but is held firmly by the compression of the foam. I also left the thumb break just in case I wanted to button it up...
IMAG0074.jpg

trippwire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Mount one of these under your steering column and mount your own holster to it.

Attachments

• Steering column gun storage.jpg
    Steering column gun storage.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 133

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bolted a GunVault Nano to the floor behind my driver's seat for when I have no choice but to go into a free kill zone...otherwise, I won't patronize any business that doesn't allow concealed carry. And, if I do have no choice but to go into one, I make sure that my empty holster is clearly visible when I let the manager/owner how messed up their policy is. I kind of understand not allowing open carry in certain businesses, especially ones that are frequented by children...but banning CC is just ridiculous.

I don't understand it anywhere.

Having to abandon Constitutional rights anywhere in our Country ****** me off.

And if you notice my location....I'm a little more hampered than most.

:argue:

spiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My nano is always on my side no matter where I go. My duty carry Sig P229 I am going to buy a under the steering column holster to put it in when I leave work the last day or decide to carry that instead of my nano

Magna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't understand it anywhere.

Having to abandon Constitutional rights anywhere in our Country ****** me off.

And if you notice my location....I'm a little more hampered than most.

:argue:

I understand your situation...I spent 22 years living in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey. At least there are some areas of CA where citizens can get a carry permit...that's not possible at all for the subjects in NJ. They claim to be "may issue" but only after you've already been killed.