Help... 1998 ram knocking at high rpm only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zero2blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 1998 ram with 318 automatic 2wd..
Here is the deal... I just bought the Hughes kit and replaced plenum pan, gasket and intake gaskets... But I still have this loud banging/knocking/tapping when the Rpms go up right before shifting to the next gear.. Once it shifts, the noise goes away until rpms go up before shifting to next gear... If it idles, or low rpm, truck is quiet as a mouse... I am clueless as to what is wrong... I have limited mechanics skills so please help...also, it sounds like coming from motor..

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like lifter tick. I have the same thing, I hate it, but I deal with it. :(

OP
OP
Z

Zero2blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, the tick...

The tick sounds like the engine is about to blow thru the top of the hood... But only makes a sous when rpms go up, and louder the higher they go.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try to take a video of the sound. Either you've never heard an engine that's about to blow apart, or you've got more than a lifter failure. Even a fully collapsed lifter doesnt make THAT much noise.

It could be a lifter, broken valve spring, timing chain.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
He probably has a few lifters that are not loading up (to an untrained ear this will sound like a motors going to blow up), this is why in the plenum thread I suggest replacing the lifters at the same time, **** gets into the oil port/lifter and thats that. Change the oil and filter one more time use dino oil and then let it idle until warm, rev it up a few times (not above 2400 rpm) and thing's might just settle down for you. Other wise its start all over again to replace the lifters.

Edit: Whats the oil psi gauge telling you???

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zero2blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, here is where I am with it... I took valve covers off, and found on one side two of the bolts on (rocker arm I think) were stripped out and flopping around..these were not original bolts, so someone had been in there before me am replaced with bolts too short.. So I used a help coil and bought new bolts and put all back together... The noise has dramatically reduced.. But when rpms are high right before shifting, there is still a loud knocking. But once auto trans shifts, the noise goes away, until rpms go back up to shift into higher gear. Also, It doesn't seem to make any noise during first 15 minutes of driving until motor warms up... I am out of guesses...

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok, here is where I am with it... I took valve covers off, and found on one side two of the bolts on (rocker arm I think) were stripped out and flopping around..these were not original bolts, so someone had been in there before me am replaced with bolts too short.. So I used a help coil and bought new bolts and put all back together... The noise has dramatically reduced.. But when rpms are high right before shifting, there is still a loud knocking. But once auto trans shifts, the noise goes away, until rpms go back up to shift into higher gear. Also, It doesn't seem to make any noise during first 15 minutes of driving until motor warms up... I am out of guesses...

Whats the oil PSI? Might be time for a compression test...

Saabonthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.9 Gas Stock 99k

Mine seems to be making the same noise you're describing. I just replaced all my lifters and it's still making it. Does it sound like this?

1998 Dodge Ram Knocking Noise - YouTube