Help, coolant disaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Vandercook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About a week ago I noticed my coolant was boiling, so I decided to burp the system. I bought the funnel and hooked it up and started the engine, and things seemed to go fine, the air was coming out. Then it started boiling over and I shut the truck off and then the coolant erupted in a huge mess. What happened?! Why is it boiling and why did it all shoot out?

OP
OP
David Vandercook

David Vandercook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently replaced the thermostat, not sure how the water pump is. Is there a way to test it?

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the coolant at 50/50
Are you able to discern that the thermostat is in fact opening up? If you start with a cold engine, you should be able to feel the thermostat open (hose goes from room temp to hot). Once that takes place, you'll know if your water pump is operational as it will be moving hot coolant, quickly, and your other hoses will heat up rapidly.

OP
OP
David Vandercook

David Vandercook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That does all seem to be happening. After running for about I and a half minutes I can hear the pump kick in and I also saw bubbles and coolant rising in the burp funnel.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That does all seem to be happening. After running for about I and a half minutes I can hear the pump kick in and I also saw bubbles and coolant rising in the burp funnel.
"Hear the pump kick in" - I'm confused by that. The water pump is moving when the engine is running. It's mechanically driven. There shouldn't be any "kicking in". So you're getting hot coolant on the upper and lower radiator hose? And you're bubbling inside the radiator? What temp are you at on the gauge when you start to see/hear bubbles? If you're getting bubbles at a low temp, you've got something else going on (blown head gasket possibly).

OP
OP
David Vandercook

David Vandercook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Low to medium temperature. What I mean by hearing it kick in is the engine slows a tiny bit right when the pump starts doing things. I'm a little scared about the head gasket, but there's no coolant in the oil and the exhaust is not white. Is that still a possibility though?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
May want to try the kit where you take some coolant into it and it checks for exhaust gases. I believe it’s called an exhaust gas coolant tester , or combustion leak tester.

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never liked the funnel method for filling the cooling system. I have had the overflow boiling like you did and would still trap air. It was a bother checking the level for days later. Look into the vacuum fill tools like the UView Airlift. There are you tube videos. Once you use it and realize it's fool proof, no guessing, and most important, NO AIR. Air in the system leads to hot spots especially in the heads and you get the boiling.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What I mean by hearing it kick in is the engine slows a tiny bit right when the pump starts doing things.

The pump is always turning with the motor. The higher the RPMs, the faster the pump goes, all the time. The only thing is whether or not the thermostat is preventing the fluid from flowing. You can touch the upper rad hose to see if it gets warm (fluid is flowing).

After putting the new thermostat in, did it ever cool properly or did you immediately start having issues? I haven't experienced it personally but many here report having issues with brand new thermostats not opening.

OP
OP
David Vandercook

David Vandercook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May want to try the kit where you take some coolant into it and it checks for exhaust gases. I believe it’s called an exhaust gas coolant tester , or combustion leak tester.
Do you know whether or not it would give a false reading if there was still air in the coolant from filling it?

seems fishy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed a thermostat in a Jeep and it only worked for one time(5minutes).It broke in the open position.Even though your thermostat may have been new,it may have been faulty,causing overheating,in a closed position.