help- isolated, coincidence, or MAJOR problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1LostRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I found another problem...
First, some context.
I may have let the excitement of a new lifted truck get the best of me; that but also saving on my monthly payment. I traded in and got this 2017 RAM Big Horn 5.7. It came with lift, tires and wheels.

There were a couple of issues I discovered during test drive that were resolved by dealer. (backup sensors were loose (but no noticeable bumps or bends), and the back window mounting bracket was chewed up non-operable). They fixed both of these.

After a week or so, I found
+the left-side steering wheel buttons don't work
+the garage door buttons would not connect
+And last night I noticed some led lights are staying on; not shutting off with the truck power. I bought some cheap ebay LEDs for the floor. They plug into the usb power in the middle console. And I have another one in the cig outlet, which now won't shut off either. (These items worked normal for a week).

*The underside has a coating. Previous owner was in ILL so I guess that is normal.
*I'm not mechanically inclined and I did take it to my trusted local mechanic for a pre purchase inspection. But I figure they only checked the basic stuff.

So- gurus, experts, and wizard mechanics- what are your thoughts? Is it 'hard to say'? Or maybe you've heard of issues with the steering wheel buttons etc? Do you think these items are related? And, hoping not- but do you think this truck should be SOLD as quickly as possible?
Trying to figure this out before investing in beefing up performance.
Well- thanks, in advance.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I suggest that you unplug anything that you installed
Then check out the things that are not functioning correctly

Homelink can be a pain
park just outside of the garage, shut off any LED Lights in the garage
It is best to have 2 ppl, one in the garage, the other in the vehicle

That way you don't break your neck rushing to get into the vehicle in time

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any possibility it was a flood victim? I picked up a flood vehicle a couple years ago.. didn't show up that way on carfax and superficially it looked clean. But it started going haywire and when I began disassembling the interior to start fixing problems I found river silt stacked in all the crevices.

I sold that vehicle as fast as I could when I found that and disclosed it to the buyer & showed them, I'm not gonna punk somebody else like I got punked.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
So.
You really have only two problems with original equipment, correct?
I had trouble with my home link. Keep persevering on that. Steering buttons definitely seem to be broken.
On 17 truck I had I could swop out fuses to make the USB and I think rear lighter socket permanently live. In the book which fuse. Maybe it’s that?
Sound advice above posts. Disconnect everything you have done and start there.
There would be more obvious problems than those if it was flood damage I am thinking…..

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The issues you have don't sound related or major. The cig lighter outlet is in on all the time in mine and always has been. Programming the opener is a pain. The buttons however probably are broken or disconnected.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Steering wheel buttons can be an issue. Mine has cruise control on the wheel and sometimes I have to repeatedly press, rub, cajole and say an incantation before they work, then they work fine till the next time. Some people have mentioned cleaning the contacts, I just haven't bothered to take things apart yet.
Generally I'd say these are minor issues, every vehicle is gonna have some glitches.

OP
OP
1LostRam

1LostRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Steering wheel buttons can be an issue. Mine has cruise control on the wheel and sometimes I have to repeatedly press, rub, cajole and say an incantation before they work, then they work fine till the next time. Some people have mentioned cleaning the contacts, I just haven't bothered to take things apart yet.
Generally I'd say these are minor issues, every vehicle is gonna have some glitches.
Yep- I do the same- didn't want to complicate my post, so I left it out. My front buttons work fine, the right rear (volume) takes to strong pushes and the left side is finicky- too finicky to even say they work. I will live without them I guess.

Keifus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
My cig lighter and my usb stay on in my 2018. Disconnect the LED’s from there and look under your steering wheel where your pedals are and you should see a wire hanging in that lil rats nest of wires like in the picture and hard wire your leds to it there’s one on the passenger side also under the glove box.

Attachments

• 8D944D8F-38A7-44AD-99CD-998591591472.jpeg
    8D944D8F-38A7-44AD-99CD-998591591472.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 6

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is a pic of the footwell light connector. That is hot when a door is open or the dome light switch is turned on.

cancunlsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would confirm its not anything that you plugged in that is faulty first and then go from there. Hopefully its not an issue for you.

OP
OP
1LostRam

1LostRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any possibility it was a flood victim? I picked up a flood vehicle a couple years ago.. didn't show up that way on carfax and superficially it looked clean. But it started going haywire and when I began disassembling the interior to start fixing problems I found river silt stacked in all the crevices.

I sold that vehicle as fast as I could when I found that and disclosed it to the buyer & showed them, I'm not gonna punk somebody else like I got punked.
Man I hope not. I think its not original paint- it is really wavy. And these other issues too!
I'm concerned; but keep telling myself I'm just being paranoid. Nothing was on my carfax. It drives really smooth. Damn- I just expected it to be clean since it is a year newer than my trade-in. But that was new then and this is now 4 years used. I guess time will tell.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The issues you have don't sound related or major. The cig lighter outlet is in on all the time in mine and always has been. Programming the opener is a pain. The buttons however probably are broken or disconnected.
There is also the possibility, unless they worked previously, that they were never hooked up to operate in the first place. To save money, mfg'rs will often just slap whatever parts they have already set up, and just not make it operable on some vehicles. Ends up being cheaper on labor costs.