Help...my 2018 5.7 has died 178,000 miles. What engine replacement is recommended, which ones do i stay away from.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelly Misenheimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey peoples. I have a beautiful red 2018 Laramie 4 door 4x4 truck that I love. A couple of months ago the small ticking noise at start up turned into a loud banging. The dealership said cam and lifters at a cost of $4,100. I have decided to replace the engine with a good remanufactured one, but not sure from where. I've heard a few recommendations but thought I'd reach out to a Ram forum. I know not to buy nothing from autozone,ect. Also any idea what a shop would charge for swapping it.
Thanks.

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey peoples. I have a beautiful red 2018 Laramie 4 door 4x4 truck that I love. A couple of months ago the small ticking noise at start up turned into a loud banging. The dealership said cam and lifters at a cost of $4,100. I have decided to replace the engine with a good remanufactured one, but not sure from where. I've heard a few recommendations but thought I'd reach out to a Ram forum. I know not to buy nothing from autozone,ect. Also any idea what a shop would charge for swapping it.
Thanks.
Hi! I just went through this. Not sure what your situation is.. but here is some insight. I am local to Charlotte, NC area... so take that into consideration... I got several quotes for various scenarios... and wound up going with a brand new engine swap in my 2017 BigHorn Crew Cab 4x4... It was around $13K for the job. $10K for the block, and the rest labor... I had the 4x4 system serviced, as well as the fuel system at the same time which was another $2,000 roughly. Looking back, there are things I would have done while the engine was out, but I did the best I could at the time. You can find my threads talking about the engine fiasco, as well as my more recent issue with the transmission if interested... Either way, shops were looking for between $5,000-$10,000 for used/remanufactured engine swap. With little to virtually no warranty. Dealership gave me 3 years, unlimited miles on the engine. FYI - my engine failed with collapsed lifters at 315,000 miles. Swapped the engine in Sept. of '23 and have driven nearly 100K miles since then. Hope this helps a little bit. Good luck!