Help Needed: Engine Noise After Camshaft and Lifters Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liam Liu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 SLT with 290,000 km (approximately 180,000 miles) on it. Two days ago, I had the camshaft and lifters replaced. I’ve driven about 100 km (approximately 60 miles) since the repair, but now the engine noise seems abnormal. I’ll be uploading a video soon—any insights or help would be greatly appreciated.

Before replacing the camshaft and lifters, the engine light would flash at 4,000 RPM, accompanied by noticeable shaking. After checking the diagnostic codes, it indicated a misfire in cylinder 8. During daily driving, there was significant vibration, which could also be felt in Park (P) mode. However, the engine had no unusual noises. Upon inspection, the removed camshaft showed severe wear, and three of the lifters were damaged.

OP
OP
L

Liam Liu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
请问发动机声音正常吗?我觉得还有敲击声

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a normal hemi your also hearing some of the injectors mine is way louder and i have 10k on my new cam/lifters the lifters also need time to break in change the oil at 1K miles.

OP
OP
L

Liam Liu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sitting inside the car in the underground garage, and I can hear a very faint but rhythmic knocking sound coming from the engine. I’m really worried and not sure what to do, especially since I’ve just had the camshaft and hydraulic lifters replaced. I’m concerned that they might be getting damaged again.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m sitting inside the car in the underground garage, and I can hear a very faint but rhythmic knocking sound coming from the engine. I’m really worried and not sure what to do, especially since I’ve just had the camshaft and hydraulic lifters replaced. I’m concerned that they might be getting damaged again.
Like i said it sounds normal to me no such thing as a quiet hemi it takes time for lifters to break in. If you want at full operating tempature go to your wheel well and take another Vid and we can listen. my 2014 sounds like a sweing machine every time i pull up to a drive thru at hot idle lmao.

OP
OP
L

Liam Liu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot for your advice! The video I recorded was indeed taken when the engine was fully warmed up. I’ll try recording another video tomorrow with the hood closed, focusing on the area near the wheel well.

Next Monday, I’ll be heading out on vacation, but I’ll make sure to report back after driving another 1,000 miles. Thanks again for your help!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks a lot for your advice! The video I recorded was indeed taken when the engine was fully warmed up. I’ll try recording another video tomorrow with the hood closed, focusing on the area near the wheel well.

Next Monday, I’ll be heading out on vacation, but I’ll make sure to report back after driving another 1,000 miles. Thanks again for your help!
by the way what brand cam and lifters did you use?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
it indicated a misfire in cylinder 8. During daily driving, there was significant vibration, which could also be felt in Park (P) mode.
I don't have a lot to add other than my 6.4 Hemi (2014) had the vibration and misfire code and ended up needing a whole new engine. I guess I'm wondering how you know/knew it was the lifters? Are the codes and flashing CEL light gone since the lifter job? Fingers crossed that's what the problem was. Fwiw, the dealer said my issue was very rare. Thankfully, was under extended warranty. Engine had 90K.

OP
OP
L

Liam Liu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a lot to add other than my 6.4 Hemi (2014) had the vibration and misfire code and ended up needing a whole new engine. I guess I'm wondering how you know/knew it was the lifters? Are the codes and flashing CEL light gone since the lifter job? Fingers crossed that's what the problem was. Fwiw, the dealer said my issue was very rare. Thankfully, was under extended warranty. Engine had 90K.
When I first noticed the problem, the car would shake after starting, and I could feel the vibration while sitting in the driver's seat. The diagnostic computer showed a slight misfire in cylinder 8. When the RPM increased, the misfire data spiked, and this was all observed while the car was stationary.

Once the car was moving, the vibration started to get worse above 2000 RPM, and at 4000 RPM, the check engine light would start flashing yellow, accompanied by severe shaking.

I then replaced the spark plugs, swapped the ignition coil with cylinder 2, and cleaned the fuel injectors, swapping them with cylinder 4. None of these actions solved the misfire issue. At that point, I didn't suspect the hydraulic lifters and camshaft because the engine wasn’t making a ticking sound, so I decided to hold off on further repairs.

The final repair happened because last week, while driving, the engine showed a high-temperature warning. I noticed a small amount of coolant leakage between the passenger-side cylinder head and block, which was due to a gasket issue. Since the cylinder head was already opened, I decided to check the hydraulic lifters and found they were worn out, and I later inspected the camshaft with a borescope.

Currently, after replacing the camshaft and hydraulic lifters, the engine has no issues except for what seems to be a rhythmic sound possibly coming from the fuel injectors.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My first CEL and all subsequent ones only occurred under moderate/hard acceleration. I did start to feel a slight miss at idle. The whole thing only happened for a couple days before I took it in.

OP
OP
L

Liam Liu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like i said it sounds normal to me no such thing as a quiet hemi it takes time for lifters to break in. If you want at full operating tempature go to your wheel well and take another Vid and we can listen. my 2014 sounds like a sweing machine every time i pull up to a drive thru at hot idle lmao.
I have recorded the sound near the tire compartment. Please check it. Thank you.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have recorded the sound near the tire compartment. Please check it. Thank you.

Yep its 100% normal sounds great you have nothing to worry about mines way louder this vid was right after cam swap its not as loud now. Just make sure in 1k miles you change the oil use 5w30 only 20 is to thin

OP
OP
L

Liam Liu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep its 100% normal sounds great you have nothing to worry about mines way louder this vid was right after cam swap its not as loud now. Just make sure in 1k miles you change the oil use 5w30 only 20 is to thin

Thank you! However, I can still hear a rhythmic ticking sound coming from the engine bay while sitting in the driver’s seat, and it’s driving me crazy. I’m currently using loud music to drown out the ticking sound.Thanks again