High Idle After Throttle Body Clean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have a 2004 1500 4x4 with a 4.7 and manual five speed. Yesterday I took the throttle body off and cleaned it. I used a new gasket when I put it back on. Everything was clean and it wont back on easily. Now it doesn't idle right. ON the highway it's not an issue. In town it won't idle down and makes the truck go faster than traffic so I must ride the brakes. I pull up to a stop sign, press in the clutch, and it idles about 2500 rpm until I come to a complete stop and then it idles down to 1000 - 1100 prm. What did I do to my truck? I unhooked the battery and let it set for a bit. Made no difference. I bought a new iac, but I'm hesitant to install it fearing it's not the issue and I don't want to waste the $92 it cost for no reason. I sprayed starting fluid around the TB and surrounding areas while it was running and there was no change in rpm so I don't think I have a vacuum leak. Any ideas?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a fairly simple diag either when you put the intake tube back on you jammed part of it into it I have done that Or your gasket is no good and or you somehow screwed the IAC valve that goes into the throttle body.

OP
OP
04RAM_3

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
I've tried everything I can think of other than pulling the TB back off and inspecting the gasket. I don't know how that would get screwed up though, and I did put a new one on. I guess I'll let it cool and pull it back apart. I pulled the IAC and cleaned it. Then I compared it to the new one sitting on my toolbox and they didn't seem any different. Maybe when I pull the TB back off I'll just put the new IAC on since I already have it. I suppose I could unplug it when the engine is running and see what happens. If the idle drops I'll know if it's working or not. Right?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2004 1500 4x4 with a 4.7 and manual five speed. Yesterday I took the throttle body off and cleaned it. I used a new gasket when I put it back on. Everything was clean and it wont back on easily. Now it doesn't idle right. ON the highway it's not an issue. In town it won't idle down and makes the truck go faster than traffic so I must ride the brakes. I pull up to a stop sign, press in the clutch, and it idles about 2500 rpm until I come to a complete stop and then it idles down to 1000 - 1100 prm. What did I do to my truck? I unhooked the battery and let it set for a bit. Made no difference. I bought a new iac, but I'm hesitant to install it fearing it's not the issue and I don't want to waste the $92 it cost for no reason. I sprayed starting fluid around the TB and surrounding areas while it was running and there was no change in rpm so I don't think I have a vacuum leak. Any ideas?
Remove the IAC valve and clean it.

OP
OP
04RAM_3

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Already did. Made no difference

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Already did. Made no difference
Then install a bi-directional scanner and see if you cam command the idle up and down, then to lower levels than what you currently have. I wonder if you or someone made the awful mistake of messing with the minimum idle setting, base idle screw. If so, you screwed the pooch and will have to set minimum air rate.

OP
OP
04RAM_3

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Didn't touch anything like that. It was fine before pulling the TB. I'm going to pull it back off tomorrow and check the gasket. It's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

Never heard of a bi-directional scanner. What is it?