How can you tell if a crack or chip in a windshield needs repair or replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hooke Road

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
The decision to repair or replace a crack or chip in a windshield depends on several factors:
  • Size: If the crack or chip is larger than a quarter, it will likely need to be replaced. Chips smaller than that can often be repaired.
  • Location: If the crack or chip is located in the driver's line of sight, it will typically need to be replaced. A chip or crack located in the outer edges of the windshield may be repairable.
  • Spread: If the crack or chip has started to spread, it will likely need to be replaced.
  • Age: Over time, a crack or chip can spread and become larger. If it has been some time since the crack or chip first appeared, it may need to be replaced even if it is still small.
It's always best to have a professional assess the crack or chip to determine whether it can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced. Driving with a cracked or chipped windshield can be dangerous as it can obstruct the driver's view and make the windshield more prone to shattering in the event of an accident.

If you have other better judgment methods, please comment and discuss!

1704263808044-png.png

BobinTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Two weeks after I took ownership of my 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 a rock from an 18 wheeler kicked up and put a small chip in my windshield on the passenger side. I called Safelite to come fix it. They told me any glass damage that can be covered up by a dollar bill can be repaired. Anything larger than a dollar bill needs to have the windshield replaced. There are exceptions, of course, like if the damage is directly in front of the driver and obstructs the driver's view.

But certainly, the sooner you find and repair the damage, the less likely the crack will get worse. Cracks tend to grow in length over time and can transform from an easy, cheap "fixable" crack to an expensive, full windshield replacement job if unattended.

Last edited:

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looked it up. Canadian verbiage for a coin, $2 variant.

Next question: How large is their $2 coin? :Big Laugh:

I did read that and say 'wtf is a toonie'?

I've had my current 06 Jeep Wrangler for about 10 years. Since Wrangler's have awful windshields that are practically flat, I'm on my third windshield. Bottom line, repair if you can and it's not in an annoying place. Otherwise replace. Also, many don't realize that a 'repair' is just using a resin kit to fill the hole and prevent it from spreading. You are still going to see the crack. I used a repair kit on the latest rock hit about 1.5 years ago. It hasn't spread and I don't plan to replace the windshield unless it does.

Plus, the 06 is only about $150 to replace with an aftermarket windshield. I'll assume the Ram is closer to $400+?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Oh you crazy Canadians and your coins :cheers: