Hurricane Crate Engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

"Hurricrate" Twin-Turbo I-6 Hurricane Crate Engines Are Here—This Is Everything You Need to Know​

Announced nearly two years ago, Stellantis has finally revealed pricing and more for its newest, sexiest crate engines.
Justin BannerWriter, PhotographerManufacturerPhotographerAug 09, 2024

Direct Connection HurriCrate Hellephant Hemi Crate Engines TorqFlite8 Crate Transmission 2
See All 27 Photos

In November of 2022, Stellantis announced its amazing Hurricane twin-turbo I-6s that were starting to find their ways into various Dodge, Ram, and Jeep products were going to be available as crate engines for hot-rodders to install in whatever project fit the smooth six. Fast forward nearly two years later and we finally know how much these Hurricrates—the conglomeration of “Hurricane” and “crate” that Stellantis is opting to use—will cost you before you install them into your car or truck.

Between those two years, nothing has changed on the Hurricrates. You’ll get essentially the same 3.0-liter twin-turbo I-6 engines found under the hoods of the recently updated 2025 Ram 1500 pickup. The Cat 1 is the 420 hp, 468 lb-ft version that’s sold as the "Standard Output," or S.O., in the Ram, while the Cat 3 is the 550-hp, 531-lb-ft version sold as the "High Output" or H.O. in that same truck. These engines have impressed us despite having such lower displacement than the outgoing Hemi V-8, and many of us have been wondering just how these would do in much smaller and lighter vehicles. Now, with the Hurricrate, we’ll get to see that wish potentially come true as soon as the upcoming Roadkill Nights event.

2023 Hurricane Twin Turbo 510 Deep Dive I6 Justin Banner 2
See All 27 Photos

Now, at $10,495 for the Cat 1 Crate Engine and $13,745 for the Cat 3 Crate Engine, you could build the ultimate Jeep Cherokee XJ for some high-powered rock crawling without giving up that rig's original engine layout. Or maybe you stuff one under the hood of a Nissan S13 240SX as an alternative to the 2JZ, RB26, or even the Ford Barra. Technically, you’re only allowed to install these engines into race cars or anything produced before 1976 (at least, if your state actually checks with emissions testing and such...), but that does open you up to a Fury Sport, the Dart, or even the Plymouth Duster if you want to keep everything in the family, so to speak.
Direct Connection HurriCrate Hellephant Hemi Crate Engines TorqFlite8 Crate Transmission 1
See All 27 Photos

The aforementioned long-block versions are $7,995 for the Cat 1 and $11,715 for the Cat 3 version. Keep in mind that while the “Crate Engine” is a complete package, the long block is what you should picture it as: an engine packaged without the intake, exhaust, intercooler, and turbochargers. For the moment, the “mid-1,000-hp” Hurricrate Cat X option hasn’t been announced and we’re all still waiting for that extreme turbocharged I-6. Maybe we’ll hear more when Ram’s rumored “extreme” 1500 pickup is launched.

1500RAMman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stellantis has finally revealed pricing and more for its newest, sexiest crate engines.
I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to refer to a straight 6 as "sexy". I bet these do not sell well at all, nobody is going to want one of these in their hotrod!

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i bet they sell better then you think.

1, its light. 2 its got all forged internals. 3 its a small package and other then the base tune of 550hp, we dont know what the ceiling is on this motor for power is yet.

i would looove love love to get one of these in a miata for track days.

i bet you in 2 years, if that we see a new hell cat variant with this motor at 7-800hp

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
There are more folks who want something different than you think. Yes LS, or any Chevy conversion is cheap and easy, but they are like AHs, everybody has one. If that's your thing great. With respect to the Chevy fans, I'm not into Briggs & Stratton conversions.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to refer to a straight 6 as "sexy". I bet these do not sell well at all, nobody is going to want one of these in their hotrod!
You want to see a sexy engine, go look at a poly

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes!

But they have to take these valve covers
View attachment 548604
We had a 318 poly in our old 3 ton Fargo grain truck,and by no stretch was it a "sexy" or even a good looking engine,even if it had those valve covers,lol. Nothing beats a Big Block Chevy for "sexiness" under the hood :Big Laugh:

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im about to get a squarebody dually single cab project. its cab and chassis model so narrow 14 bolt. currently has a 350 in it and im torn if i want to just toss in a 454 or spend the coin and go duramax. either would look sexy in there lol.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
im about to get a squarebody dually single cab project. its cab and chassis model so narrow 14 bolt. currently has a 350 in it and im torn if i want to just toss in a 454 or spend the coin and go duramax. either would look sexy in there lol.
I had a 454 square body dually 4 door with a pretty solid TH400 with a shift kit and that thing moved for as big and heavy as it was. I vote TBI 454

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 454 square body dually 4 door with a pretty solid TH400 with a shift kit and that thing moved for as big and heavy as it was. I vote TBI 454

ill have to verify the year on it when i get chance, its early 80's. the pentina on it stays as its just getting clear coated. has a standard 8ft bed on it with the narrow dually so the goal is to lower/level it and run air bags and possibly do the 454 running a holley EFI setup. i want it to look cool, but be functional so i can tow the toy hauler with the side by side and the girlfriend can pull the car trailer with the 4 4 wheelers on it when we travel.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
ill have to verify the year on it when i get chance, its early 80's. the pentina on it stays as its just getting clear coated. has a standard 8ft bed on it with the narrow dually so the goal is to lower/level it and run air bags and possibly do the 454 running a holley EFI setup. i want it to look cool, but be functional so i can tow the toy hauler with the side by side and the girlfriend can pull the car trailer with the 4 4 wheelers on it when we travel.
You will like it. Mine was 89

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A 502 would be a better combo then a 454.