Hurricane Crate Engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had a 292 MerCruiser in my old Crestliner. That thing was nice and torquey and replaced the original 250 nicely but I had to build a custom cover to clear it since it is a raised block.

Mostly; the 360 was an oddball. Everything top end was swappable but the mains were larger and the cranks were externally balanced (all previous LA were internally balanced) and a longer stroke. 273-318-340 all had the same stroke. 340 just a nice large bore.

Baby 440 would be more accurate. Same CR & cam timing as the 440 Magnum those years (basically 68-71, after that both engines were neutered) with a nice revvable short stroke.
Almost, the 340 six pack and 360 were both odd balls. The 340-6 being odd (and sharing the engine w/ the '70 Challanger T/A) for all the good reasons. Aside from bore and stroke being same as std 340, the 340 6 also had the forged crank and rods and a completely different upper ends to make gobbs of high RPM power.

Never owned a 360, but have owned (all pre '72):
272 in a 66 Dart GT
multiple 318's
a couple of 340's
one 340 6 pack (in a 70 AAR Cuda)
a 413 in a 65 Chrysler 300
400 in a Cordoba
426 wedge in a '63 dodge
426 Hemi in a 71 Charger R/T (multiple strip cars w/ 426's)
multiple 440's
440 6 pack in another '71 Charger R/T (had both R/T chargers at the same time. I know, I know.)

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
But a LSX 454 would be better than both.
This 502 would be a direct bolt in,and out torques the LSX ,and makes it's peak power at a lower rpm.
With the LSX you have to source a manifold,and screw around with a crank trigger ignition etc,it's not exactly an R&R job to bolt in and get running in a day,while the 502 could be easily swapped in a day on a driveway with just an engine hoist.Tough to beat a big blocks torque for towing in a heavy truck

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
ill have to verify the year on it when i get chance, its early 80's. the pentina on it stays as its just getting clear coated. has a standard 8ft bed on it with the narrow dually so the goal is to lower/level it and run air bags and possibly do the 454 running a holley EFI setup. i want it to look cool, but be functional so i can tow the toy hauler with the side by side and the girlfriend can pull the car trailer with the 4 4 wheelers on it when we travel.
This is a bolt in,and would really wake it up,lol.An all forged 502.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
1000hp crate motors on the way.

im gonna stay away from these for a while. dealer near the house is booked solid for blown hurricane motors.
They sure destroyed that 75 in a hurry,lol. Nice to see Tom actually doing this though,and finding the weak links in everything. As stated in the comments Dodges version of the ZF uses a lighter spline count on the output shafts as everybody else's ZF transmissions,but i don't think that was the issue with the transmissions failure,sounds almost like it was a tune issue.
I liked how he calls Russell the Mad German,lol

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They sure destroyed that 75 in a hurry,lol. Nice to see Tom actually doing this though,and finding the weak links in everything. As stated in the comments Dodges version of the ZF uses a lighter spline count on the output shafts as everybody else's ZF transmissions,but i don't think that was the issue with the transmissions failure,sounds almost like it was a tune issue.
I liked how he calls Russell the Mad German,lol

watching the video, and that wheel hop didnt do it any favors. they said it twisted the driveshaft, so im wondering if something in the drive line bound up. i will say that thing just shattered the housing. so i think it was def internal.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
watching the video, and that wheel hop didnt do it any favors. they said it twisted the driveshaft, so im wondering if something in the drive line bound up. i will say that thing just shattered the housing. so i think it was def internal.
There's been a few Hellcats blow up the case like that,with one famous one burning to the ground on the starting line,after the tranny fluid caught fire.Boosted Motorsports also rebuilt a Red Eye that burned after the transmission disingrated,so it's not an unheard of failure with the 8 speeds

bgenlvtex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8HP75 is rated to 750 NM
750NM = 553 lb-ft torque

800hp tune making all the torque it is going to at +/- 2300rpm
Almost unquestionably putting more torque into that transmission than it is good for and it failed.

That really isn't a Hurricane problem, or even a (license built) ZF problem, that is a too much powah problem.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
8HP75 is rated to 750 NM
750NM = 553 lb-ft torque

800hp tune making all the torque it is going to at +/- 2300rpm
Almost unquestionably putting more torque into that transmission than it is good for and it failed.

That really isn't a Hurricane problem, or even a (license built) ZF problem, that is a too much powah problem.
They'll handle a fair bit more then that for short periods of time,as that's their continous torque rating,but he was definitely on the upper end of what a stock 75 will handle,and it showed,lol
Horsepower isn't what kills a transmission,it's torque in the lower gears that usually gets them,so i was a bit surprised the transmission made it to 5th on that burnout,as it wasn't really an excessively long burn out.

bgenlvtex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They'll handle a fair bit more then that for short periods of time,as that's their continous torque rating,but he was definitely on the upper end of what a stock 75 will handle,and it showed,lol
Horsepower isn't what kills a transmission,it's torque in the lower gears that usually gets them,so i was a bit surprised the transmission made it to 5th on that burnout,as it wasn't really an excessively long burn out.
Everything will handle more than it is designed for until it won't.

He said they got a tuned engine and a transmission and that they couldn't touch the ecm, I'd be interested to know to what degree that 8HP75 was prepped for the higher output.

If it wasn't prepped and it was an assembly line 8HP75, then I'd say it did well until it was pushed beyond known limits. If it was prepped then to what degree?

I think most people will say that the ZF 8 speeds are remarkably good transmissions.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Everything will handle more than it is designed for until it won't.

He said they got a tuned engine and a transmission and that they couldn't touch the ecm, I'd be interested to know to what degree that 8HP75 was prepped for the higher output.

If it wasn't prepped and it was an assembly line 8HP75, then I'd say it did well until it was pushed beyond known limits. If it was prepped then to what degree?

I think most people will say that the ZF 8 speeds are remarkably good transmissions.
The 8 speeds are tunable with-out touching the engines tune,which is a good thing in some respects,as you don't need an unlocked PCM to tune the transmission.I'm suprised they used a 75 instead of the 90,and even more suprised they're going back to another 75.