I want to change oil filter only? Possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
70k on my 2017 1500, last oil change my filter was way too dirty for me.
They are so cheap and easy to change, I was wondering if I can change mine 'between' oil changes.
The way mine looks I'm not sure if it's even or above or below the cold oil level if I can even do this?
The top of the oil housing looks pretty close to top of engine but that could be deceiving.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If U had a Hemi, I would say no problem. With the 3.6L Motor with the filter on the side near the top of the motor, I do not know. Somebody who has a Pentastar has to chime in. I would think U would be OK, with engine cold, no pressure, just the mess U would normally have when changing, just change out, check oil level and replace any lost. BUT DO NO go on what I say, someone who has that Motor and Experience needs to CHIME IN.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The 3.6L oil filter is set up like the 3.0 Ecodiesel...changing the oil filter between changes is just fine and you won't make a big mess doing it if you're careful. When you pull the filter out, oil will be pooled in the housing, so just be careful. I've done it on my 3.0 and it was mess-free. Your filters are cheap and if it gives you peace of mind, go for it.

How often are you changing your oil?

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 3.6L oil filter is set up like the 3.0 Ecodiesel...changing the oil filter between changes is just fine and you won't make a big mess doing it if you're careful. When you pull the filter out, oil will be pooled in the housing, so just be careful. I've done it on my 3.0 and it was mess-free. Your filters are cheap and if it gives you peace of mind, go for it.

Thanks for replying to OP, I had no experience to help, I did have an ED in the past but I traded it in with unda 10K on odometer, was a 2nd Gen, and I neva messed with that Motor.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let the engine sit overnight and the filter will be pretty much bone dry on the Pentastar. The filter is dry after just draining the oil.

OP
OP
joelmic

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

PERFECT, that's what i thought, Thank You. worthy.gif

OP
OP
joelmic

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, mileage and dash reading but this one went to 6k with Royal Purple and I guess i should have stayed with 5k

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, you can pull a Pentastar filter with a full crankcase of oil. I typically drain my oil and then refill, and change filter every other drain/refill. I don't run a lot of miles on my oil so I'm not replacing the filter on each drain/refill interval. I'm sure somebody will flame me for that, but it's how I run my truck. I run almost exclusively interstate miles, higher RPMs for long duration. I like fresh oil after about 2500-3k miles. At around 6k miles it gets a new filter.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do every 5K on filter. I guess u could drop oil and refill 1/2 way. I do 5K OCI on Hemi and OCI 3 K on my Honda wing trike.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, you can pull a Pentastar filter with a full crankcase of oil. I typically drain my oil and then refill, and change filter every other drain/refill. I don't run a lot of miles on my oil so I'm not replacing the filter on each drain/refill interval. I'm sure somebody will flame me for that, but it's how I run my truck. I run almost exclusively interstate miles, higher RPMs for long duration. I like fresh oil after about 2500-3k miles. At around 6k miles it gets a new filter.
Yer ride “Bench” wateva works for U. If I had dat motor I would pull all dat plastic oil filter housing junk and put in a Dorman unit.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yer ride “Bench” wateva works for U. If I had dat motor I would pull all dat plastic oil filter housing junk and put in a Dorman unit.
Hey Bird...I pulled that plastic **** out many miles back and dropped in a Dorman. Then the Dorman supplied seals failed about 25k miles later. I just re-sealed the Dorman unit with some FelPro seals about 2500 miles ago. The only thing better than replacing the $hitty OEM filter housing to stop a leak, is doing it over to fix a leak from the new stuff haha

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I heard chit happens lol.

I don’t do much mods. Mostly cosmetic like mats. Mud flaps. Full bed cover stuff like that. Truck stock mostly. My days of slating springs, Monroe shocks, Cragar rims, whipple setups etc r gone. Truck driveway princess ne way.

IMG_0752.jpeg