If there's a dumber center console setup than the Gen 5...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReddJackson

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo
My main beef for Gen 4…it’s small, too small, but I did get a console vault installed, had a 2016 Tundra…by comparison the Tundra was huge

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha...wow. I'll probably regret asking, but what could possibly be your reasoning for that? Or are you of the mindset that anyone who disagrees with you is just wrong, and you feel the need to provoke others?

It's obvious that you think negatively of minivans. While I have no desire to own or drive one, I have plenty of friends and family who prefer them. And I can say that if I had lots of kids I'd probably own one as well. Since I don't we'll just be keeping both of the trucks we own, each of which has a large center console.
Ive had several minivans, and i gor a few contractor buddies who swear by em

But each vehicle is designed with a purpose in mind

And the purpose of a truck is to haul stuff in the back and people in the front

Shoot, dont you know why my cowboy hat curls up on the side ?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Ive had several minivans, and i gor a few contractor buddies who swear by em

But each vehicle is designed with a purpose in mind

And the purpose of a truck is to haul stuff in the back and people in the front

Shoot, dont you know why my cowboy hat curls up on the side ?
Ah, I see now. You want a place to put your hat. Perfectly valid. When I was growing up we didn't call pick-ups trucks. Real trucks were rated at least 1 ton and had flat beds. I seem to have mellowed with age. What everyone calls trucks now aren't really trucks. Sure, you can tow a bit and haul some stuff. But they've become more of a family/luxury grocery getters for at least the last 15 years.

Actually, the purpose of any vehicle is whatever the owner wants to use it for. What it's designed to do is irrelevant to a lot of people. I realize some might think it's scandalous, but the main purpose of my F150 is to commute back and forth to work. 90% of the time I'm driving by myself and not hauling anything except what's in the large center console.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah, I see now. You want a place to put your hat. Perfectly valid. When I was growing up we didn't call pick-ups trucks. Real trucks were rated at least 1 ton and had flat beds. I seem to have mellowed with age. What everyone calls trucks now aren't really trucks. Sure, you can tow a bit and haul some stuff. But they've become more of a family/luxury grocery getters for at least the last 15 years.

Actually, the purpose of any vehicle is whatever the owner wants to use it for. What it's designed to do is irrelevant to a lot of people. I realize some might think it's scandalous, but the main purpose of my F150 is to commute back and forth to work. 90% of the time I'm driving by myself and not hauling anything except what's in the large center console.

when im driving by myself, ill be in the duster
when the wife is by herself, she'll be in the charger
if i need to haul stuff or move snow, the truck
if i need to haul the entire family, the van

now, what if i want to haul the boat and the entire family to the lake?
id need a front bench, wouldnt i?

(well technically, now that her mom is passed away, i could do with 5 seats, but you get the point)

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
when im driving by myself, ill be in the duster
when the wife is by herself, she'll be in the charger
if i need to haul stuff or move snow, the truck
if i need to haul the entire family, the van

now, what if i want to haul the boat and the entire family to the lake?
id need a front bench, wouldnt i?

(well technically, now that her mom is passed away, i could do with 5 seats, but you get the point)
Everyone's needs are different. Your truck, use it how you want. You had a need to haul 5 passengers plus the driver so it makes sense for you to have a bench seat. My family is smaller so even when my kids lived at home they would just ride in the back seat and still have room for another person. Now that the kids have left to live their own lives we could do with a regular cab pick up if mama didn't need to haul so much crap with us lol.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you should have bought a Suburban since we're telling people what's best for what.
Several vehicles ago I had a Bronco, with a suburban seat added as a 3rd row

It was a plowrig that fit the entire family, but in typical Ford fashion, it was unreliable

In fact, once it caught on fire at the boatramp and I sat there for almost a minute, contemplating if I should put out the flames, or let it burn down and push the charred remains into the lake

To this day, I'm still not sure if I made the right choice

Ernest Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Have to add my 2 cents. I drive a 2012 Laramie Longhorn. Last week I was on a business trip and ended up in a new Ram Longhorn as my rental car. Have to admit I was not a fan of the center console. Loved the thought of the phone charger, but my phone kept falling out of it. Liked the size but the sliding parttion took away a lot of the space. Would have been nice to put my laptop in, but wasnt large enough. Had to hid it under the rear seat (liked that feature). Thought it could have been designed better

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will admit that I have not really looked close at the 5th gen as I don't need a new truck.
I like my center console in the 4 th gen, kind of miss the center gear shift knob to rest my hand on with 8 speed.

What does tick me off is no place with a lock on it in the truck. Old days you had a lock on the glove box (gun case).
Not really a place to hold the phone, and I refuse to buy a phone holder for all I use it.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any truck that puts two seats and a console where a bench should be is plain stupid
Any truck that puts a seat where a center console should be is plain stupid.
I don’t like anybody enough (including family) to have them sitting right next to me while I’m driving.
Having the center console means a sixth person going the same place as me can’t assume they get to squeeze in front center, and I don’t actually have to say “looks like you better call an Uber”.

TCorbit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
...I'd like to see it. What team of idiots engineered this? Is there an aftermarket setup available? My search came up dry.

Cheers

Bob
I’m looking for a perfect fit removable trash can to place in the bottom in front of the sliding drink holders … still looking on Amazon. This might fix that “what should I do with this space?” question.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't like the console at all. I think it is bulky and ugly as sin. I much prefer the bench seat with the fold down console. It's more than enough storage for me and I can fold it up for those extremely rare times I need a sixth seat. But mostly I just think the large consoles are butt ugly. I live in MA and went to OH to buy my used RAM back in 2019 because it's so hard to find RAMs without the massive console (plus this truck had other hard to find options I really liked - Black Forest Green exterior color, for one).
My 5th gen has the bench seat console and I ordered it that way, not because of the console per se, but because I didn't want bucket seats. That version probably will have limitations to some folks, but I've learned to be adaptable. Because stress is always around the corner nowadays, I only put things in it that will allow it to fit.

I actually miss the underfloor bulkheads of the rear seats in the 4th gen more.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 116115 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

In the Nissan service literature they refer to the Murano as a "truck."

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 116115 miles.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 5th gen has the bench seat console and I ordered it that way, not because of the console per se, but because I didn't want bucket seats.
You still have bucket seats. The front driver and passenger seats are the exact same bucket seats whether you have the center jump seat, or the full center console.

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can be handy to have the bench in the front. My wife rented an F150 XLT when her Expedition was getting work done and it had the bench. Nice to be able to fit 6 people and my 10yo really liked sitting up front in between us. Me driving, not so much lol. Though having 3 kids, it can allow a friend to ride too.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the Nissan service literature they refer to the Murano as a "truck."

Regards,
Dusty
i got a brother in law who refers to his ride on lawnmower as a "tractor"
doesnt make it so

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
...I'd like to see it. What team of idiots engineered this? Is there an aftermarket setup available? My search came up dry.

Cheers

Bob

Bob:
It seems you are outvoted big time, the console is excellent, best
I've found.
You are barking up the wrong tree, and have got the dander up on
most on here............
Say you are sorry..........