In drive while being towed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zoink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a Ram 1500 2016 rear wheel drive with a 3.6L V6 automatic transmission.

I was stuck in the mud and had a buddy tow me out, but instead of putting it in reverse or neutral I accidently put it in drive. While moving backwards I realized and in panick I put it in park. While in drive my tires drug across the ground but when put in park they started turning normally. Does this have something to do with the transmission fail safe or did I just mess up my transmission. It only rolled roughly 20 yards until I was out but still a bit worried. Hoping my car put it into neutral by itself or something but I don’t know.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What happens when you put it in Drive? Does it engage Drive, and drive (mobilize as normal)?

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does the truck do when you put it in Drive?

OP
OP
Z

Zoink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
It drives. After being towed I put it in drive and took it home.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did it shift as normal? Did you notice anything abnormal about it's performance after it was towed out?

OP
OP
Z

Zoink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Shifts perfectly normal on the way home even tried shifting to neutral to make sure the trans was working properly. Tried reversing when I got home, and even tried pushing it while in nuteral all worked properly. Just worried for future use of my truck.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shifts perfectly normal on the way home even tried shifting to neutral to make sure the trans was working properly. Tried reversing when I got home, and even tried pushing it while in nuteral all worked properly. Just worried for future use of my truck.
Take it as a WIN. I wouldn't worry about it. Be tuned into it for the next few hundred miles and watch/listen for abnormalities in performance. Otherwise, consider this a cheap lesson. The ZF trans is pretty robust.

OP
OP
Z

Zoink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thank you so much for the quick responses and help. I’ve been stressing ever since I got home. When being towed I did hear some a bit of cranky noises like gears or something. Is this something to worry about. Also don’t know if it was my truck or my pals.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you so much for the quick responses and help. I’ve been stressing ever since I got home. When being towed I did hear some a bit of cranky noises like gears or something. Is this something to worry about. Also don’t know if it was my truck or my pals.
If you feel like it shifted/drove "as normal" when you were testing it, I'd park my stress on that. Nobody knows your truck better than you. If you feel it's performing as it did prior to the incident and have no indicators to the contrary, I'd roll with that. Tell your pal to fix his busted a$$ truck ;)

OP
OP
Z

Zoink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Appreciate it!! Also I have a video of the situation. Is there a way I could attach it to the forum for u to see just for an extra padding on my concience ?

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate it!! Also I have a video of the situation. Is there a way I could attach it to the forum for u to see just for an extra padding on my concience ?
There should be an "attach files" option on your reply box.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

You have to post to youtube (or similar) and just give us the link.

OP
OP
Z

Zoink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thank you so much for the outside view. Never heard my truck make any noises like that it’s a real quiet V6 so I was worried but my nerves are at rest thanks to you. And don’t worry he’s already started the $hit talking:disgust: I owe him a Dairy Queen Oreo blizzard for getting me out :/