Installing DRL strip with built in turn signal wire help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I'm in canada so we have drl activated. Not sure what setting is in alfa just because I do have drl lights (yellow orange) turn signals..

Ok so if I want this strip to power on white when the vehicle starts what would I tap into ?

On my jeep as soon as I start it the led strip powers on and I'm tapped into drl it's a cherokee trailhawk. So I was thinking the ram would be the same.
Yeah I forgot you were in Canada and already have your DRLs activated and Im pretty sure dedicated is what was chosen so have you like, put a mirror in front of your truck so you can see if the DRLs turn on as soon as you take the transmission out of Park? I say this because on my 2018 with DRL’s, they don’t activate until the transmission is moved out of Park. I’m not sure about how Jeeps work but it is very possible they could have those set up differently.

But if you want the white DRL’s to work essentially like how your Jeep does, just get you a fuse tap and tap into the fuse in the fuse box under the hood that should be marked ignition coils.

But just so you know and probably unlike your Jeep, if you connect your DRLS that way, they’ll be on all the time, day and night.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I forgot you were in Canada and already have your DRLs activated and Im pretty sure dedicated is what was chosen so have you like, put a mirror in front of your truck so you can see if the DRLs turn on as soon as you take the transmission out of Park? I say this because on my 2018 with DRL’s, they don’t activate until the transmission is moved out of Park. I’m not sure about how Jeeps work but it is very possible they could have those set up differently.

But if you want the white DRL’s to work essentially like how your Jeep does, just get you a fuse tap and tap into the fuse in the fuse box under the hood that should be marked ignition coils.

But just so you know and probably unlike your Jeep, if you connect your DRLS that way, they’ll be on all the time, day and night.
F95 work?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
F95 work?
Yeah, I’d have to wait until I get home this evening to see what circuit that is in my truck and if I can remember which one I used but according to this from startmycar.com for your 2014 1500, F95 is a 10 amp fuse that goes to your rear camera/park assist and that if you want your ignition coil circuit, that website tells you to use F63 which is a 20 amp fuse that it says are for your ignition coils.

But either way regardless, it really doesn’t matter which fuse you use as long as the circuit you use goes live when you want it to whether it be when the key is turned the first click to accessory, the second click to run or like in this case, once your engine is started and the way you do that is you take a test light or a fuse tester to make sure the top contacts of that fuse isn’t live when it’s not supposed to be.

For example, when I hooked up my lights for the very first time, I hooked them up the way you’re wanting to do it so that since I had already found the fuse location I was going to use, I just made sure the two little metal contacts on the top of the fuse didn't light up my test light until after the engine was started.

Also, I would highly recommend using a fuse tap like this one so that whatever circuit in the fuse box you use can still have its original fuse and then you’ll have the slot right next to it that will protect whatever you hook to those wires and also, that fuse tap in the Amazon link is for micro fuses so you might wanna make sure what size fuses your PDC uses because that start my car website up there says that your fuse box uses the mini fuses so when you click on the link, it’ll give you options for whatever size fuse you’re wanting to tap into.

But just out of curiosity so that I know whether if it worked or not but when you had your lights hooked up to the DRL circuit in your headlight wiring harness, did they actually turn on after taking the transmission out of Park?? You never did answer….

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I’d have to wait until I get home this evening to see what circuit that is in my truck and if I can remember which one I used but according to this from startmycar.com for your 2014 1500, F95 is a 10 amp fuse that goes to your rear camera/park assist and that if you want your ignition coil circuit, that website tells you to use F63 which is a 20 amp fuse that it says are for your ignition coils.

But either way regardless, it really doesn’t matter which fuse you use as long as the circuit you use goes live when you want it to whether it be when the key is turned the first click to accessory, the second click to run or like in this case, once your engine is started and the way you do that is you take a test light or a fuse tester to make sure the top contacts of that fuse isn’t live when it’s not supposed to be.

For example, when I hooked up my lights for the very first time, I hooked them up the way you’re wanting to do it so that since I had already found the fuse location I was going to use, I just made sure the two little metal contacts on the top of the fuse didn't light up my test light until after the engine was started.

Also, I would highly recommend using a fuse tap like this one so that whatever circuit in the fuse box you use can still have its original fuse and then you’ll have the slot right next to it that will protect whatever you hook to those wires and also, that fuse tap in the Amazon link is for micro fuses so you might wanna make sure what size fuses your PDC uses because that start my car website up there says that your fuse box uses the mini fuses so when you click on the link, it’ll give you options for whatever size fuse you’re wanting to tap into.

But just out of curiosity so that I know whether if it worked or not but when you had your lights hooked up to the DRL circuit in your headlight wiring harness, did they actually turn on after taking the transmission out of Park?? You never did answer….
Ok so i never did get out there to try taking it out of park to see the drl function as i was running late for a car show yesterday and well now its down pour thunder storms since 2am and its suppose to last all week haha so hopefully if we get a break im going to check the drl function.

So now if i wanted the light to work when i put the truck in acc and not actually start the truck what fuze would i tap into for this haha.

I purchase micro2 fuse taps and hopefully there here by end of week but amazon is slow out here.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so i never did get out there to try taking it out of park to see the drl function as i was running late for a car show yesterday and well now its down pour thunder storms since 2am and its suppose to last all week haha so hopefully if we get a break im going to check the drl function.

So now if i wanted the light to work when i put the truck in acc and not actually start the truck what fuze would i tap into for this haha.

I purchase micro2 fuse taps and hopefully there here by end of week but amazon is slow out here.
All I can tell you is like what I told you in my last post which was, you’re just gonna have to find you a circuit in your fuse box that will start having power to it after the first turn of the key or first press of the start button.

But one thing about it though, I would highly advise against using a circuit that comes on as soon as the first twist of the key or the first press of your start button if that’s what you have because I had my old 2008 Ram set up that way and if I would’ve kept the truck a little bit longer than what I did, I would’ve done something different and set it up so that they didn’t turn on At least until the key was turned to the second position or after the engine was started.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so got it wired to both head lights, and just connecting to batter for power it works like it should so once i get the tap in ill finnish the job and post a finnished update. You guys have been great with the help. @Corneeeeelius a special thanks to you for putting up with the questions

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so got it wired to both head lights, and just connecting to batter for power it works like it should so once i get the tap in ill finnish the job and post a finnished update. You guys have been great with the help. @Corneeeeelius a special thanks to you for putting up with the questions
You’re welcome.

So if you’ve just got it to your battery, how do you turn them off when you’re done?

But I’m curious though… How exactly do you want your white DRL‘s to work?