Instrument Display new oddity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Millertime01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello Forum..1st Post
Out of the blue I have a bunch of orange pixels that appeared on my instument cluster (pic attached). Nothing impacted the cluster, did not get wet, etc etc. Just appeared.
The only warning on dash is the orange triangle in the extreme bottom left corner due to a TPMS tire pressure sensor not working. (this has been this way a week before the pixels appeared)
I have tried the pushing the trip reset button and turning truck to on while holding it in and it did not get rid of it. The pixels are there regardless of which is displayed such as odometer trip A hours meter etc. It appears as soon as key turns to ON position. Any Ideas? Thanks.
Instrument Cluster Display.jpg

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So - that's typical of LCD/OLED/LED displays that have a bad/corroded pin. It happens and the only thing that can be done about it is to replace the display unit - but I have never had to do that on a truck/car so I don't know if it's more involved (such as replacing an entire housing, or just the screen). If you can, ignore it until you can find out more info - but it shouldn't hurt anything. If it gets worse, you're gonna have to replace at least that part.

OP
OP
M

Millertime01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it is corroded could I pull out cluster, unhook electrical connections and spray it with wd40 or apply dielectric grease to stop it?
The pixels have now moved slightly and are 1/8" from where they last were -- weird

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it is corroded could I pull out cluster, unhook electrical connections and spray it with wd40 or apply dielectric grease to stop it?
The pixels have now moved slightly and are 1/8" from where they last were -- weird

I doubt spraying with wd40 would fix anything - actually, might even cause more problems - that's not a trick I've heard of..

Wandering orange pixels... Could be moisture in the circuit somewhere - as is condensates, it causes electrical glitches - as it evaporates, the pixels appear to wander - thinking about it - I think it's actually moisture between the LCD screen itself and the embedded mat. I can't swear to that - it puzzles me to...